GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,094
1 members and 1,093 guests
Sarak24034

Old 04-25-2012, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supahotboi View Post
And no, I am not telling girls to lay off for no reason. Sororities have a lot more rules, formalities, politics, and other things involved with them that are a lot different than fraternities. Your perspective is not something I will be able to relate to easily.

Again, everything you have said is pretty helpful. I appreciate the advice. My only thing with the ladies here is that fraternities and sororities operate in two different fashions. Their recruitment is different, their pledging is different, their interests are different, their operations are different, etc etc. To me, it doesn't really interest me what they have to say because they are talking about a different world. It's just not too applicable for this situation.
Did you read my (or any of the other ladies') posts AT ALL? I mean, actually read and process what they were saying? No one is telling you to run this like a sorority, rush like a sorority, or do things regarding expansion like a sorority. If that were the case, every single female - including me - would be saying "Don't put a lot of thought/time into this until you go to the Greek Life office, ask about numbers/total/quota over the past several years, and see if the campus is open for expansion." That's how NPC sororities expand and NO ONE has said that to you.

Your misogynistic attitude combined with your laziness is just ridiculous, and neither is an attribute that a colonizing member of any GLO needs to have.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmagirl2000 View Post
hoe women can't give advice
I fuggin CRIED

Old 04-25-2012, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
I don't even think that's his biggest problem. The organization he's recruiting for either doesn't take him seriously or is just awful at expansion efforts.
I wouldn't assume either. Greater autonomy in colonization efforts may = greater autonomy in running the chapter in general, and more room to adjust things to how a growing commuter campus works. In other words, this group isn't going to be all up their asses about having 50 guys (when that is unrealistic for the campus) and a Greek Revival style house and 6 intramural teams because Big School Chapter does, etc etc. but by that same token, they are going to expect the men involved to be self-starters.

IMO, if that's the way they roll, it seems like they are cutting him LOTS of slack if they haven't already cut him loose after a year and only 4 guys involved.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
I wouldn't assume either. Greater autonomy in colonization efforts may = greater autonomy in running the chapter in general, and more room to adjust things to how a growing commuter campus works. In other words, this group isn't going to be all up their asses about having 50 guys (when that is unrealistic for the campus) and a Greek Revival style house and 6 intramural teams because Big School Chapter does, etc etc. but by that same token, they are going to expect the men involved to be self-starters.

IMO, if that's the way they roll, it seems like they are cutting him LOTS of slack if they haven't already cut him loose after a year and only 4 guys involved.
He said that three orgs have come onto his campus in the last three years. If that's the case, and I was a national org, I would be very wary of some random guys who contacted me.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:30 AM

Quote:
The fraternities that come to my school is not because of the students wanted them to come. The last 3 organizations that have came in the last 3 years was not because a bunch of students were interested in a fraternity and got together and tried to start one, but because the HQ is doing expansion this way.
He didn't specify what kind of fraternities they were, so I think to assume that 3 NIC fraternities came to do ground-up colonizations at a school with (according to him) very little Greek tradition or support is folly. I think that to assume that he knows this for a fact (i.e. the students didn't initiate the efforts) is also folly.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Since your the only person that I can take serious in this thread (and the only guy really, again no offense to the ladies but they aren't really saying anything that's really serious or useful), everyone should save their breathe. It's just a really pathetic troll at this point.
*panics, looks in pants and sighs in relief when he still sees he has a penis*
Old 04-25-2012, 12:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi U MC Vito View Post
iDied
Old 04-25-2012, 12:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi U MC Vito View Post
Yep. I saw that yesterday. Apparently, 8 of us in this thread are sans peen.

Old 04-25-2012, 01:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Our school was the 3rd largest in the state, but still viewed as a commuter school. <4% Greek Life. The school has really been growing over the last 10 years. Still #3, but much better academics, in a better Division II conference (MIAA). We were the first new fraternity in decades and they added another 2 years after we colonized.

It sounds like you probably have a better raw situation than we did. Your campus seems pretty ripe for expansion.
Wow that is interesting. I go to a D1 school but it really feels like a D2 one since we are one of the worse schools in most athletics. I've been reading something the school posted called "the strategic plan" which is funny since the beginning document says pretty much blasts the Greek life for being unproductive and how it needs to change".

Theres supposed to be a huge change to the greek life over the next 5 years. It has slowly gotten better, even though the stats of the current organizations are skewed (and I know for a fact they are) and it looks as they were more improvements than they actually should be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSKsilver View Post
I cannot wait for "Starting a fraternity chapter, looking for advice part 3" to pop up in the next couple of days.

Anyway, I guess I can offer some help. And I'm a guy, so by your logic, you have to listen to me, right?

1st, the definition of a troll a la wikipedia.

"In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory,[2] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[3] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion"

So far, in both part 1 and part 2, I have seen no trolls at all.

2nd, if you don't think it is worthwhile to do a very important step/any step in the right direction, then forget about it. Yes, it is very worth it to start trying summer rush, and many people have told you why it is and how it might benefit you.

3rd, your definition of "sketchy" seems to be people who party a lot. You are kinda being superficial there, which is something you said that the fraternities that already exist are, so hey, what do you know, you are a perfect fit for them. By the way, have you tried rushing those fraternities yet?

Also, as a side note, http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...57#post2140557

If you think that dirty rushing is a-ok, I don't think you have no right to determine what's sketchy or not.

4th, and last, and not least bit of Silver advice, listen to the women. Just because they have more balls than you does not mean that you can't take their very good advice.
Considering half of these posts are of memes and nobody actually saying anything, I don't care to respond to half of them. When someone makes a post about my spelling I can't take them seriously since it has nothing to do with anything and is clearly spam (even though you may think its not, lets be honest, its not as important as you want to believe).

2nd, the sketchyness, you have no idea. I dealt with people who were lying about things and not coming around. How are you to make these judgments with again not even really knowing anything?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 View Post
Ok, so let me see if I have this right...

1). Starts thread asking for advice about starting a fraternity chapter
2). Receives good advice from both men and women
3). Dismisses that good advice
4). Closes thread
5). Starts new thread, and says advice from women isn't welcome
6). Complains that women aren't contributing anything useful to the conversation

He gets our advice, dismisses it (and us altogether), and now he wants it again?

What's sad is that if he didn't blow all of us off, he might have learned that I come from a chapter that struggled (with less than 19 members the entire time I was active), which did recruitment much like fraternities do, that I was the Recruitment Advisor for that chapter, and that I have a ton of good ideas I could have thrown his way.

Oh well.
Well again when you sit there and post a bunch of nonsense and dont get straight to the point, of course I am not going to take anything you say seriously.

Quote:
Did you read my (or any of the other ladies') posts AT ALL? I mean, actually read and process what they were saying? No one is telling you to run this like a sorority, rush like a sorority, or do things regarding expansion like a sorority. If that were the case, every single female - including me - would be saying "Don't put a lot of thought/time into this until you go to the Greek Life office, ask about numbers/total/quota over the past several years, and see if the campus is open for expansion." That's how NPC sororities expand and NO ONE has said that to you.

Your misogynistic attitude combined with your laziness is just ridiculous, and neither is an attribute that a colonizing member of any GLO needs to have.
Really, your not even listening to anything I have to say. I've explained before what my efforts have been and to you, it's just went over your head. I've said it before the campus has been open to expansion and have said things like "the quality of greek life at my school is low" and "the university reflects this in that university life is low, yet the school is looking to change this". Really, stop judging **** until you actually take some time to learn some facts. Your not being as helpful as you like to believe.

Quote:

Again, more people have been involved along the way but dropped since we haven't went anywhere and **** has happened. 4 guys are just close to the situation really at htis point.

Quote:
He didn't specify what kind of fraternities they were, so I think to assume that 3 NIC fraternities came to do ground-up colonizations at a school with (according to him) very little Greek tradition or support is folly. I think that to assume that he knows this for a fact (i.e. the students didn't initiate the efforts) is also folly.
Its NIC and I don't see why you have this chip on your shoulder thinking I am making this up. As I said many times, greek life at my school is nothing right now, I'm interested in improving it. If your not interesting in helping me improve it, then you might as well not waste your time responding back.
Old 04-25-2012, 01:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
When someone makes a post about my spelling I can't take them seriously since it has nothing to do with anything and is clearly spam (even though you may think its not, lets be honest, its not as important as you want to believe).
Good luck with that attitude. You're (not "your") getting a college education; act like it. If you want to be taken seriously, you need to communicate like someone who is worth taking seriously.
Old 04-25-2012, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Really, your not even listening to anything I have to say. I've explained before what my efforts have been and to you, it's just went over your head. I've said it before the campus has been open to expansion and have said things like "the quality of greek life at my school is low" and "the university reflects this in that university life is low, yet the school is looking to change this". Really, stop judging shit until you actually take some time to learn some facts. Your not being as helpful as you like to believe.
You didn't read a single word I posted. Your "efforts" seem to have been "I don't like any of the fraternities so I am going to start a new one and it should be super turbo easy, because Greek life at this school sucks donkey dick and I am super turbo awesome. I don't know why the national fraternity isn't holding my hand and telling me what to do. I don't want to run this like a sorority, or listen to anything anyone in a sorority says, even though hand-holding and being told what to do basically IS what sororities do when they colonize. I don't want to go out and talk to random people, because they might not be perfect for my fraternity. I don't want to think about this over the summer, because that's too hard."

Quote:
Again, more people have been involved along the way but dropped since we haven't went anywhere and shit has happened. 4 guys are just close to the situation really at htis point.
A colony is lots and lots and lots of work. The main thing is to have people that won't give up, even when it seems like things are stalled. If you can't attract people like that, you aren't going to be successful. Any colony has some people who drop out, but you have to keep pushing and finding new guys and not whine because the national isn't giving you enough.

If your attitude in real life is anything like your attitude on here, it's no surprise that you are having difficulty attracting quality men.

Quote:
Its NIC and I don't see why you have this chip on your shoulder thinking I am making this up. As I said many times, greek life at my school is nothing right now, I'm interested in improving it. If your not interesting in helping me improve it, then you might as well not waste your time responding back.
Well then, please tell us exactly who the fraternities are who came there and expanded GROUND UP WITH ZERO STUDENT INITIATIVE AT THE RATE OF ONE A YEAR so we understand what we're working with. Frankly, I and probably most posters here find that part of your story quite hard to believe.

Last edited by 33girl; 04-25-2012 at 01:43 PM.
Old 04-25-2012, 01:42 PM
GreekChat Member

You know, it would be less typing on your part to just say "Tell me what I want to hear stupid, assholes.". It's essentially what you keep saying in 368654 more words.

Now, with that said, I can't imagine why people aren't rushing to kiss your ass and hold your hand and be in your little club.
Old 04-25-2012, 01:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
Good luck with that attitude. You're (not "your") getting a college education; act like it. If you want to be taken seriously, you need to communicate like someone who is worth taking seriously.
Again, this is what I mean. First off, this is GC, and most of your posts I really can't take seriously (especially all these Rosie and MJ memes, like seriously?). Second, your really overvaluing what your saying just for your own sake, what your saying is not as important as you like to believe.

Quote:
You didn't read a single word I posted. Your "efforts" seem to have been "I don't like any of the fraternities so I am going to start a new one and it should be super turbo easy, because Greek life at this school sucks donkey dick and I am super turbo awesome. I don't know why the national fraternity isn't holding my hand and telling me what to do. I don't want to run this like a sorority, or listen to anything anyone in a sorority says, even though hand-holding and being told what to do basically IS what sororities do when they colonize. I don't want to go out and talk to random people, because they might not be perfect for my fraternity. I don't want to think about this over the summer, because that's too hard."

Well then, please tell us exactly who the fraternities are who came there and expanded GROUND UP WITH ZERO STUDENT INITIATIVE AT THE RATE OF ONE A YEAR so we understand what we're working with. Frankly, I and probably most posters here find that part of your story quite hard to believe.
My problem with half the **** these posts say is that your making judgments so easily without really knowing any real facts. It's like any sort of explanation I have you refuse to listen to. I come here looking for answers and been seeking help, and you will just have to trust me. I get that this is the internet and I could be anyone for all you know, but again, why even respond other wise?

Second, this is a school where the HQ's come and draft up organizations and it makes sense why. The students are not the ones bringing them in (which at other schools I've seen it the other way around and I get what your saying). But again, it just does not work that way here. That is why I come here asking how other people have done it since where I am at, it seems as how people have done things is much different.

The Greek office is trying to change the system (just as everyone at the university is trying to build traditions and make it a more traditional 4 year university). The students don't do much here. I know that's hard to believe, but the school I go to is not that bright. It's just not. At least right now that is, maybe 10 years from now things will be different.

Last edited by supahotboi; 04-25-2012 at 01:46 PM.
Old 04-25-2012, 01:50 PM

Please clarify so we can help with advice:

1- How many fraternities are currently on campus?

2- How long have they been chartered? (If you know)

3 - Approximate size of each group?

I'm asking in order to get an idea about your campus. This information can help with where we can guide you.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 04-25-2012, 01:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I know that's hard to believe, but the school I go to is not that bright. It's just not. At least right now that is, maybe 10 years from now things will be different.
No, it's really not that hard to believe.