GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Omega > Omega Psi Phi
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,490
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, zisaacivanovoz9
» Online Users: 2,045
2 members and 2,043 guests
sabellashulzez9, zisaacivanovoz9

Old 12-22-2023, 12:58 PM
GreekChat Member

The Life of Founder Ernest Everett Just

Omega Psi Phi Fraternity was founded by three undergraduate students of Howard University's Class of 1909 and their faculty advisor, Biology professor Ernest E. Just. He was asked to serve in that capacity at the recommendation of Founder Oscar J. Cooper, his lab assistant at the time. Because of his contributions to the genesis of the Fraternity, he was accorded the status of founder and was elected the first honorary member of the Fraternity.

Founder Just is more prominently known as a pathbreaking black scientist and eminent biologist. Dr. Kenneth Manning of MIT wrote an outstanding biography about him, Black Apollo of Science: The Life of Ernest Everett Just. He was the only magna cum laude graduate of his class at Dartmouth College but was not allowed to address the audience at graduation because the administration felt it might offend the white parents. At Howard, he was initially hired to teach English and Rhetoric but when the new Science Hall was built he transitioned to teaching biology. He also served as a mentor to students and founded the Dramatics Club at Howard, which put on plays. Two of the undergraduate founders participated in theatrical productions of the club. Later Alpha Chapter at Howard formed its own repertory group, the Que Players. Today, several universities and colleges have honored him with programs and internships, and several elementary schools are named in his honor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E64u3QKk5Uc

https://www.amazon.com/Black-Apollo-...s=books&sr=1-1

GreekChat.com - The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network

Last edited by Wolfman; 12-22-2023 at 01:06 PM. Reason: typo
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-22-2023, 01:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Interesting and great history facts. I just forwarded the YT video to my sister because of his connection to the University of Chicago. My sister graduated from that school.
Old 12-22-2023, 06:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyBoy View Post
Interesting and great history facts. I just forwarded the YT video to my sister because of his connection to the University of Chicago. My sister graduated from that school.
Thanks! The UChicago has established an annual lecture series in honor of Founder Just, the E.E. Just Lectures. In 2018 the lecture features his biographer, Dr. Kenneth Manning of MIT. There was a contingent of Ques at this lecture, and members of the Boule ( Sigma Pi Phi), which he was also a member.

GreekChat.com - The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network

Last edited by Wolfman; 12-22-2023 at 07:27 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 12-22-2023, 06:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman View Post
Thanks! The UChicago has established an annual lecture series in honor of Founder Just, the E.E. Just Lectures. In 2018 the lecture features his biographer, Dr. Kenneth Manning of MIT. There was a contingent of Ques at this lectures, and member of the Boule ( Sigma Pu Phi), which he was also a member.
Thanks for posting these, Wolfman. I enjoy reading and watching the videos you post. I was my fraternity’s historian back in the day, but I also enjoy reading and learning about all D9 American history. It’s fascinating.

Last edited by PrettyBoy; 12-22-2023 at 07:24 PM.