GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,359
2 members and 1,357 guests
3DGator, LaneSig

Old 10-21-2006, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessXIca View Post
what does it mean to have courtesies?
Please correct me if I'm wrong. It's when you aren't technically covered by the legacy policy, but the chapter sort of extends you the same courtesies. For example, let's say an active member's cousin is going through. Cousins are not legacies, but the chapter can choose to treat her as one because of her connection to the chapter.

Lakers Nation.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-21-2006, 08:24 PM
Super Moderator

That's what happened to one of my daughters. She wasn't a legacy to the sorority she pledged but she had 2 cousins who were alums of another chapter. Her big later told her that they'd considered her a courtesy legacy!
Old 10-23-2006, 04:44 PM
GreekChat Member

If your biological sister is an active in a sorority at ABC University, can she help her sibling if she rushes the same sorority at DEF University? I ask simply for curiousity's sake (no one else in college for some time to come).
Old 10-23-2006, 04:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaDad DZ View Post
If your biological sister is an active in a sorority at ABC University, can she help her sibling if she rushes the same sorority at DEF University? I ask simply for curiousity's sake (no one else in college for some time to come).
well, her sibling is a legacy, and while actives can't always write letters of recommendation (depends on the sorority) she can usually write a letter of introduction (or somehow contact XZ chapter of QRS). It can help, but is certainly not a sure thing.
Old 10-23-2006, 04:54 PM
Super Moderator

different sororities have different rules concerning collegians writing recommendations for pnms. for instance, zta allows collegians to write a recommendation, however an alumna must also sign the recommendation.

if nothing else, older sis could invite younger sis to the house, and introduce her to some of the chapter advisors who might write a rec. for younger sis. younger sis should mention on her recruitment application that older sis is a member of ___ sorority. even if that sorority has no chapter at younger sis's college, it lets the sororities that are on her campus know that she has an idea of what membership in a sorority entails and that the parents do too.
Old 10-26-2006, 07:16 PM
GreekChat Member

BIG-TIME GLITCHES REPORTED AT U of CALIFORNIA - SAN DIEGO

Whoah. Sounds like major glitches at the University of California – San Diego (UCSD). The school paper reports that the Greek Life adviser ‘fessed up to fouling up some things involving upperclass PNMs, but there are still reportedly questions about other “glitches” and whether or not problems were appropriately rectified:

http://ucsdguardian.org/viewarticle....onth=10&day=26

Excerpts from much longer article:
Two weeks after sorority recruitment, questions still linger about computer glitches, "misbids" and the resignation of Panhellenic Council President Megan Christopher that followed shortly after. . . .

The largest question involved women receiving “misbids,” or acceptances into the wrong sororities — a situation that affected 40 to 50 girls and impacted every sorority, Revelle College senior and Alpha Chi Omega member Rachel Corell said. . . .
Old 10-26-2006, 07:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Oops!
Old 10-27-2006, 04:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhoenixAzul
Quote:
Originally Posted by exlurker View Post

Whoah. Sounds like major glitches at the University of California – San Diego (UCSD). The school paper reports that the Greek Life adviser ‘fessed up to fouling up some things involving upperclass PNMs, but there are still reportedly questions about other “glitches” and whether or not problems were appropriately rectified:

Two weeks after sorority recruitment, questions still linger about computer glitches, "misbids" and the resignation of Panhellenic Council President Megan Christopher that followed shortly after. . . .

The largest question involved women receiving “misbids,” or acceptances into the wrong sororities — a situation that affected 40 to 50 girls and impacted every sorority, Revelle College senior and Alpha Chi Omega member Rachel Corell said. . . .
OUCH. Wow.
Old 10-27-2006, 09:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by exlurker View Post

Yikes. I think that's a bit more than "computer error".
Perhaps it'll be a hootshinpaloozaree. I don't know.
Old 10-27-2006, 02:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via AIM to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via Yahoo to AchtungBaby80
Oh, my. I can't even imagine. I can see mistakes like party invites getting mixed up or whatever, but bids????
Old 10-27-2006, 02:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
No-oooo!!! Arggghhh!!!

At one, she'd be a legacy only to Chi O; at another, Chi O and Zeta; at another,
AOII and Zeta.

So....I'm working on the 2 12-year-olds.
Carnation is the count for sororities, Pi Phi, Chi O, Zeta and AOII?

That's so cool since I'm the only greek in my family.

I don't know, I feel if the school recognizes and accepts that there was a computer or human error on bid matching that they need to rectify the situation.

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 11-05-2006, 02:02 AM
GreekChat Member

WOW.

I joke around about being a computer glitch bid, but man...that situation at UCSD sounds like a mess.

All that happened to me was one of the chapters who invited me back never showed up on my list of parties for the next day. I immediately told my rho chi about it because I had to accept all the invites I was given for the day.

When I was bidless at the end of the week, guess who called? The chapter that got dropped in the conputer system. I guess it all worked out in the end, huh? I just hope everything goes OK for those UCSD girls.