GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,429
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Zae_TheCreator
» Online Users: 2,184
0 members and 2,184 guests
No Members online

Old 03-02-2012, 01:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
Insomnia has been awful this week. I really, really want to sleep. I just don't know how to turn my brain off.
What worked for me was this: I learned how to meditate. Also, about an hour before bed, I turn off the tv, music, etc. and I lower the lights. A hot bath helps. A cup of chamomile tea with just a little honey. I gently push out all the anxious thoughts and focus on calming thoughts. It takes time, and it's not a linear curve, but you can retrain your brain. A book that helped me was "you are not your brain" (you can get it on Amazon).
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-02-2012, 02:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzTheta View Post
What worked for me was this: I learned how to meditate. Also, about an hour before bed, I turn off the tv, music, etc. and I lower the lights. A hot bath helps. A cup of chamomile tea with just a little honey. I gently push out all the anxious thoughts and focus on calming thoughts. It takes time, and it's not a linear curve, but you can retrain your brain. A book that helped me was "you are not your brain" (you can get it on Amazon).
I generally do know those techniques. I used to teach relaxation classes that focused on the same things. This has been happening since the peri-menopause symptoms hit me and it will be like this for a week or so, then I'll be ok.
Old 03-02-2012, 03:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Progesterone cream is your friend. It helps me with not exactly night sweats but getting oddly hot in the middle of the night, and unexplainable itchiness. And I think it helps me sleep better. But then you're going to sleep better if you're not trying to scratch your ankle clean off your foot.
Old 03-02-2012, 04:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Some 90s slow jams to relax my mind. All the meditation and chamomile in the world can't make me sleep. I've had insomnia for most of my life. I remember being like 7 or 8 getting yelled at by my mom because I was still up in the middle of the night. If I shut off all the lights and lay quietly, I will be laying quietly in the dark until 3 or 4am.

At least I get to watch my goddaughter in the morning! I love babysitting days!

"My dreams have become letters." ~christiangirl
Old 03-02-2012, 06:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
Insomnia has been awful this week. I really, really want to sleep. I just don't know how to turn my brain off.
I've been unable to get much sleep this week because of the mold problem in my garage. I'm fully aware it is an anxiety issue and it gets worse when I'm not breathing well from being exposed to the mold. I was planning to completely get my garage organized and cleaned out during Spring Break (week after next) and speeding up my timeline hasn't helped. We've also had training for some programming changes at work and it completely changed my schedule, also not helping me get restful sleep.

My license expires on Monday and I have to get a new photo taken so I decided to get my hair cut and styled before I am immortalized for my government issue identification. Also, my hair is getting a little too Coal Miner's Daughter and is becoming less Loretta and more Crystal. My bangs grew out and my natural Jan Brady middle part dominates my scalp, so I am long overdue. I called the stylist and not only is she no longer at the salon, the salon doesn't exist anymore. I don't know why I found that surprising as my last haircut was the 8th of October 2010.
Old 03-02-2012, 06:40 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishLake View Post
There was an article in a NatGeo last year about the domestication of foxes in Russia. They have been selectively breeding them for a long time. Only the puppies the exhibit "dog-like" characteristics are being bred (playful, not shy or wary of humans, affectionate, etc). The ones that retain their "foxiness" (wild, aggressive, wary of humans, etc) were not bred. As a result the dog-like foxes are becoming very popular pets.

Centaur, if you're really interested in knowing what your dog is, and feel like dropping around $80, you can get his DNA analyzed. The results will tell you what breeds he is by percentages.
I don't have that kind of cash. This has been a bad year for me, because I rely on more snow in the winter for extra income. I own a landscaping business, and most of my money for the business itself comes from snow removal. $80 with other vet bills on top of that are too much right now. But I do know he's got to have some boxer mixed in with some other breeds.

@ Cheerful, thanks for that info. I kind of figured that the relationship between the two were close enough, but it seems that their behavior is far too different for a pet, though. The movie "The Grey" just made me think about that.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:13 AM
GreekChat Member

I feel ya, Cenny. Guys like you in Ohio are in the same boat. We have a cousin who does the same thing, and he had to pick up side work for the winter as a farm hand for $10 an hour. Sucks.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovespink88
It's that time of year again...merry unofficial, U of I kids. Sigh, I'm old.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:45 PM
GreekChat Member

On the topic of sleeplessness, has anyone else tried a melatonin supplement? At the beginning of January I bought a bottle of chewable tablets (5 mg dose) from Walmart for about $8. It's been working really well for me so far!
"To bind its members with a tie of true and lasting friendship..."
Old 03-02-2012, 12:59 PM
GreekChat Member

I've had this pair of old throwback Nikes for about 5 years now and I still wear them almost daily. They are starting to get ratty as hell but they aren't made anymore so I am out of luck....until I was looking through the latest J.Crew catalogue and spotted their new partnership with Nike.

Same style shoe just different coloring. I think I'm going to buy 2 maybe 3 pairs this time.
Old 03-02-2012, 01:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXEling View Post
On the topic of sleeplessness, has anyone else tried a melatonin supplement? At the beginning of January I bought a bottle of chewable tablets (5 mg dose) from Walmart for about $8. It's been working really well for me so far!
They tend to make me groggy for too long. There are things I take sometimes but if i don't realize it's going to be one of those sleepless nights until midnight, then it's too late to take a sleep aid.
Old 03-02-2012, 01:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
My son, who has dealt with sleep issues for a while (ADHD) takes it every night, and my wife uses it some, too. Works for them.
Old 03-02-2012, 01:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
My son, who has dealt with sleep issues for a while (ADHD) takes it every night, and my wife uses it some, too. Works for them.
I tried it and it was a hit or miss. If I took it on a night when I was already tired, then I feel asleep almost immediately. If I took it on a night where I had a normal energy level, it didn't do anything.

"My dreams have become letters." ~christiangirl
Old 03-02-2012, 01:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
I despise it when weather changes my plans.
Old 03-02-2012, 01:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by christiangirl View Post
I tried it and it was a hit or miss. If I took it on a night when I was already tired, then I feel asleep almost immediately. If I took it on a night where I had a normal energy level, it didn't do anything.
The doctor who recommended it for my son suggested taking it about an hour before you want/plan to fall asleep. We have found that if the timing is too far off, or if the dosage is off -- either not enough or too much -- it doesn't work.