GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,459
Threads: 115,512
Welcome to our newest member, aolviatopz5295
» Online Users: 2,243
2 members and 2,241 guests
Sarak24034

Old 07-26-2010, 02:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaeb View Post
I was thinking about what I'm going to say if/when I'm asked why I want to join a sorority, and I was considering mentioning that my grandmother still talks about how much she loved being in a sorority to this day. I wouldn't mention which GLO she was in, but I don't know what to say if asked, since a chapter of her sorority is present on campus. Should I just not bring it up at all?
I think it would be lovely to say your grandmother talked about how much she loved being in a sorority. I would suggest, don't add the sorority. If they ask, tell them which one, but don't volunteer it.

Last edited by AnchorAlumna; 07-26-2010 at 03:06 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-26-2010, 04:04 PM
GreekChat Member

I do believe I am a legacy, she's sending in a legacy form indicating that I am, so I'm pretty sure I am. I figured it would be a better idea not to say that my grandmother LOVED being a ZBZ, just that she loved being in a sorority (she wasn't actually a Zeta Beta Zeta, obviously, I just like the show Greek). Thank you for your advice!
Old 08-07-2010, 12:06 AM

This should answer some of your questions:

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...ad.php?t=54403

As far as what to wear, every school has different suggested attire. So it's hard to say exactly what you should wear.

Lakers Nation.
Old 08-07-2010, 12:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks KSUViolet06!
Old 08-08-2010, 11:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greekmomIN View Post
I have a daughter who is a junior and very active in her sorority. Her sister will be attending the same university this fall, but is determined to consider all sororities on campus. Does she mention being a legacy but wanting to keep her options open, or say nothing?
Odds are, every sorority will know, unless it's a huge campus. And even then, chapters know when it's an inhouse legacy. I would suggest that if the actives seem to assess her interest she says something about how her sister is in a sorority on campus but she wants to find her home, not her sister's home. (And continue to express interest in her sister's assuming she IS interested after meeting the chapter.)
Old 08-08-2010, 01:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille View Post
Odds are, every sorority will know.
Agreed.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Do not tell a chapter you want to join or will be putting them first. You might change your mind. My chapter had a couple of girls that they really liked tell them on pref that they would be putting them first. Instead, both single preferenced the other sorority they preffed. I don't think either of them was trying to be rude or sneaky, they just changed their minds right before signing their pref cards. But it still hurt a lot of feelings that year. Instead, tell a chapter if you're interested in them if you are (do this!), but avoid saying they are your top choice, your only choice, or that you will be single preferencing them. That way you've left yourself room to change your mind (and you might...after my first pref I called my mom to tell her I was going XY, and then after the second party I single preferenced my sorority) without any hurt feelings.

But if you are interested in a chapter, even a tiny bit, show them. And if you are not, do not be rude. You certainly don't have to "like" every chapter. Sometimes you just don't have any common ground. But always be polite. They'll be able to tell you aren't clicking.

"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five."
Groucho Marx
Old 08-11-2010, 08:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog_2010 View Post
The 5's are outdated. I hate having these rules that everyone breaks. After the days events are over a few girls are always called and asked back over to meet the favorite frat. These girls are also taken out by a girl or two for dinner and to the social bar to show potential new members how much fun we are. This is dirty rushing but one every sorority does. When was the bible off limits? All the sororites I know have a bible study and attend the oncampus relgious centers.
So you are familiar with all the sororities in the world for your first point? And for the second, it's usually considered bad form to discuss religion outside certain very specific forums or with close friends.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi U MC Vito View Post
So you are familiar with all the sororities in the world for your first point? And for the second, it's usually considered bad form to discuss religion outside certain very specific forums or with close friends.
^This. Or politics. Whether or not you think it should be off limits you run the risk of accidentally offending someone and since both religion and politics can be VERY personal, it can get out of hand in 2.5.

Groucho Marx
Old 08-11-2010, 10:28 PM
GreekChat Member

The only chapters that dirty rush like that are the chapteres that are not strong enough to get PNM's playing by the rules.

Proud to be an Old Dominion Diamond and a Macon Magnolia!

Some people call it manipulation, Southern Belles call it charm.
Old 08-18-2010, 04:36 PM
GreekChat Member

I am sure this has been covered. But I am still a little confused, how do you let a sorority know you are really interested in them?
Old 08-18-2010, 04:53 PM
GreekChat Member

You show a chapter you are interested by acting interested in what they have to say. Respond with interest. When they ask you a question, answer it and ask a follow up question of your own.
Tell them "Thanks for inviting me, I have had such a nice time. I really enjoyed talking with you. I liked the skit. etc"
You show a sorority you are interested just like you show a friend or a date, by reciprocating the level of interest they are showing you and sounding genuine in your responses.
Old 08-18-2010, 04:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Pi View Post
The only chapters that dirty rush like that are the chapteres that are not strong enough to get PNM's playing by the rules.
I totally disagree with this. On competitive campuses, strong chapters can be just as guilty of this.
Old 08-27-2010, 07:56 PM
GreekChat Member

question... im rushing this year and i know death isnt a good topic to bring up but zta's philanthropy is breast cancer awareness and my mother passed away from it, so im very enthused with there philanthropy. would it be just awful of me to say or bring this up to them during recruitment?
Old 08-27-2010, 09:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BELLAVDG View Post
question... im rushing this year and i know death isnt a good topic to bring up but zta's philanthropy is breast cancer awareness and my mother passed away from it, so im very enthused with there philanthropy. would it be just awful of me to say or bring this up to them during recruitment?
I would say something like, "I've had someone close to me be diagnosed with breast cancer so I'm passionate about your philanthropy". If they ask more specific questions, you could elaborate. This is just because people often have a hard time knowing how to respond to someone's loss, and the conversation could be become very difficult for both of you if the active doesn't know what to say.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Groucho Marx