GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life > Introductions

Introductions New to GreekChat? This is where you can introduce yourself to the GreekChat community.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,129
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zavictoiajnr131
» Online Users: 1,340
3 members and 1,337 guests
flamboyanttree, JayhawkAOII, lauralaylin

Old 07-06-2018, 11:32 AM
GreekChat Member

OK KS Gal AXO

From OK, attended OK State, AXO, now in KS since '91. Have a daughter that will go through Rush at Arkansas, a little nervous, heard it is intense!
Old 07-06-2018, 12:15 PM
Super Moderator

Has she got her recs set up?
Old 07-06-2018, 12:37 PM
GreekChat Member

I can't be the only one who read this as "Alpha Chi Omega, now in Kappa Sigma." I was wondering how that happened, then realized KS means Kansas.
Old 07-06-2018, 12:41 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm guessing Arkansas' rush is intense given that it's an SEC school and almost all SEC schools have very tough rushes.

Years ago I traveled for my sorority and that included working with chapters at both OU and Ok State for their rush. OU reminded me the most of SEC rush - at least back then (early 80's) as it seemed very competitive and the rush parties/outfits/etc. were very, very well put together with nary a stitch out of place - even the name-tags that members wore were mini works of art (hand-painted with the sorority flower on it!). Ok State was relaxed by comparison.

Beyond recs, I suggest pulling together a stylish wardrobe although I know many schools give the girls T-shirts to wear for the first round(s) of parties to keep things more "equal" clothing-wise. But later in the week girls do wear their own clothes and as you likely know, fashion, jewelry, etc. is very important down South (that and fabric that can breath in the Southern heat/humidity).

I think there's somewhere online that you'll find tips for surviving rush in the heat, such as a tiny hand-held fan, makeup wipes, baby powder (if she's wearing any shoes, not sandals), waterproof mascara, even the best hair products for humidity - to keep fresh while waiting for each party.

Hope you come back and give us updates - wishing her the best!

Last edited by NYCMS; 07-06-2018 at 01:00 PM.
Old 07-06-2018, 02:59 PM
Super Moderator

RECS are a must.
Old 07-06-2018, 03:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi-o_cat View Post
I can't be the only one who read this as "Alpha Chi Omega, now in Kappa Sigma." I was wondering how that happened, then realized KS means Kansas.
Ha ha, too many abbreviations/acronyms
Old 07-06-2018, 03:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
Has she got her recs set up?
Hi, Yes but still scrambling. Goal is at least one per sorority, then was told at least 2 (regardless of what UARK Panhellenic site says). Haven't gotten back confirmation from a couple that recs were actually sent so fingers crossed. Her only KD rec fell through (didn't realize the girl had dropped Jr year). Contacted local Alumni Panhellenic (they do not hold workshops) and asked for help but nothing yet (it's been a few weeks). Want her to go in with all boxes checked but might not be as complete as we would like it to be.
Old 07-06-2018, 03:13 PM
GreekChat Member

NYCMS--Thanks! Yes, tshirts til pref day helps a lot! She has naturally curly hair so that will be a challenge. Do you know if they are allowed to carry a clear bag with their essentials?

FSUZETA--Yep, still working on it!
Old 07-06-2018, 03:38 PM
Super Moderator

Sent you a private message.
Old 07-06-2018, 03:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUAXO View Post
NYCMS--Thanks! Yes, tshirts til pref day helps a lot! She has naturally curly hair so that will be a challenge. Do you know if they are allowed to carry a clear bag with their essentials?
I found this on the UA page about rush - looks like they get bags to tote things around, but no phones are allowed.

FROM UA PANHELLENIC:

"What should I bring with me the days of recruitment?

You will be provided with a bag for which to carry your personal items. You are allowed to bring personal items such as makeup or toiletries. Absolutely no cell phones are permitted during recruitment parties. Cell phones found during these times will be taken and returned at the end of the day."

Here's the page where I found it along with other info:

https://uagreeks.uark.edu/panhelleni...-questions.php

Last edited by NYCMS; 07-06-2018 at 03:55 PM.
Old 07-06-2018, 04:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks, I saw the FAQ section but missed the part about the bags.
Old 07-20-2018, 12:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Hi OSUAXO,

My daughter is also participating in rush at Arkansas this fall. I am more than a little nervous and will be glad once it is all over! It wasn't so intense at my school back in the day.

We are also still scrambling for some last minute recs. If everyone followed through who agreed to write them we do at least have 1 for each sorority, but would love to have at least 2 for all of them.