GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 1,545
1 members and 1,544 guests
Pinkmagnolia921

Old 09-23-2002, 12:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Unsuccessful rush?

I just got out of what I think was a pretty unsuccessful rush experience. After the first day I was released from not one but two sororities and I got the distinct feeling I was the only one (we're supposed to release one a day here over the rush period) despite the Rho Chis saying I wasn't (I suspect they were just trying to be nice). So I went back thinking, hey, no problem, I can work with this and put on my best face and smiled through all of today's parties and had a good time, and met a lot of nice people. And today I got released from all of the rest, so no more parties for me. Now they said I might still get offered a spot in a "snap bid" or somesuch but I'm wondering if I should even bother?

I wonder why I was "released" from so many groups (I hate that word release, when it's one or two it's a release, when it's all of them seems to me like they might as well ditch the PC wording and just say "rejected").

I was never a "popular girl" in high school, so my unpopular roots may have been showing. I am also a lot older than the other rushees (I'm back for my second degree and just decided to try this out) and I maybe made a mistake in being honest about this.

I want to ask why I was let go from all of them. But I know I can't ask. Is this a really terrible sign? How common is it for people to get released from ALL the sororities on their campus? And in the second day no less? Will I even get a bid? And if I do, it is just because they HAVE to offer me one (in which case maybe I should save them the trouble and not inflict myself on them)? Or am I overthinking this (like I was overthinking which one to pick since it obviously wasn't a choice I had any control over) because I likely won't get a bid anyway?
All in all, I'm left feeling kind of depressed about the whole thing and wondering if I wouldn't have been better off not bothering with it in the first place. It was kind of neat to see the inside of all the houses but was it really worth putting myself out there just to have them all reject me?

Having a bad night
~Eve
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-23-2002, 01:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy

I'm so sorry that happened to you! I wish I could answer your questions, or even say something that would make you feel better, but I'm at a lost. I'm rushing right now, so I don't really know much about the process! But, just remember that you have a lot to offer any group you joined, and it was SO brave of you to try something new, especially when you knew you'd be a bit older! That shows so much character! Hang in there, and try (I know it's hard) to not take it too personally. It was probably just the numbers working against you, they all have limits to how many they can invite back. Legacies can take up a lot of those spaces I hear. Keep your head up high, you are an amazing person from the sounds of it! Please stay around and chat, and good luck with your new degree!
Old 09-23-2002, 01:26 AM

Arrow

If you already have a degree you'd be inelegible to join as an undergraduate. Someone should have told you that.

You can try Alumnae Initiation.
Old 09-23-2002, 01:31 AM
GreekChat Member

I already though of that post-grad thing as being a problem and it was the first question I asked, before I signed up for anything. And they said so long as I was still an undergraduate that I could rush (it's a second undergad degree, not a grad school thing). And I wasn't the only one there who was on their second degree. The other girl I knew who was on her second didn't get dropped from anywhere the first day and I won't know what happens to her after this since I'm not getting to go back.

Now this makes me wonder again if it's not an age thing at all but just a *me* thing.
~Eve
Old 09-23-2002, 01:31 AM
GreekChat Member

I bet SoCalGirl is right about not being eligible. If you want to learn more about alumnae initiation, check out the awesome threads in the alumni forum. You wouldn't have the same experience as joining as a collegiate member, but believe me, it's worth it if you are really interested in greek life.
Old 09-23-2002, 02:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AngelPhiSig
Talking

If you have a degree you ARE elligable to join a Phi Sigma Sigma chapter!

Phi Sigma Sigma allows grad students as active members
(isnt that right Iota Gamma? )

I dont know if you have a chapter on your campus... but I just wanted to correct the people saying that you CANT join a sorority when you are a grad student
Old 09-23-2002, 09:22 AM

I'm so sorry this happened. Chin up

I'm not sure if you'd be considered a collegian or an alumna. Drop a line to the national offices of the sororities at your school... ask whether they'd consider you a collegian or an alumna, and ask about alumna initiation. If they tell you you're a collegian, try informal/COB rush - which is a LOT more laid back than formal rush, and a situation where quiet or less popular girls can really shine.

Good luck!
Old 09-23-2002, 09:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy

I'm sorry you had a bad Recruitment experience!! Honestly, Recruitment is very hard on both ends. The sororities have to cut girls, sometimes 50 a day at bigger campuses!!! I know this recruitment our largest sorority had to cut 35 girls the first day after only speading 20 minuites with them! So sometimes some of the best girls get cut, for silly reasons. The age difference may be a factor too. i am a Phi Sigma and yes we are allowed to have grads in our chapters. But many sororities are not allowed to have second degree seekers and grads in chapters. It depends on the sororities' national policy. Also chapter need people who will be in the chapter for longer than a year or two, so normally freshmen and soph. are taking before older women in formal Recruitment. I know this sucks but it's formal recruitment. It's not the popular issue when it comes to getting a bid. It is Matching up with a sorority that you fit into! I wasn't the most popular girl in high school, But when i got to college things change!! People started seeing me in a different light. Now, i know almost all the greeks and they know me. My sorority idn't the most popular, we are just the down to earth ones that like to party A lot!! I have great friends and i have friends in the best fraternities. I never thought in high school it would be this way, But people change and you can't think about the Pasts!!!!That may have harmed you in Recruitment, if you think you are too unpopular to be in a group than it shows!! I hate to say it you have go in with the attitude -- Yes, i want to be in a sorority, but if i don't get in then i will be fine cause i love myself for who i am! If there are COB's after Formal Recruitment, then i would check them out. If the sororitties see you interested in the sororities and get to spend more time with you i am sure good things will happen. We had a girl we had to cut at Formal Come out to our COB event and we got to know her better and made a special status for her because of her grades( at our school --the girls MUST have the min. GPA for your sorority.)She was a half a point away!Don't get down about being cut!!!! I know you are probably a great person!! i hope you feel better!!

Greek love,
binks
Old 09-23-2002, 10:31 AM

I think she would still be eligible - she is in college for a second undergrad degree NOT A GRAD DEGREE. It's basically like if I decided to go back to Pitt for pre-law or whatever - I would be starting fresh, the same as any other freshman, except I'd be older.

Eve, I would talk to the Greek Life office and make sure they know your status. Some of the groups might have assumed that you were a grad student and cut you because of that. If you don't state it (this other girl may have) they might assume that. Let them know that you are interested in COB - it might be a heck of a lot easier for you than going through formal with lots of freshmen. Also, please don't let whatever happened in high school hang you up. That was a lifetime ago and all the people who made your life hell are now sitting at home watching CMT and eating Food Club Doritos or restocking the tampon shelf at Wal-Mart. You are far better off.
Old 09-23-2002, 10:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to phisigduchesscv
Quote:
Originally posted by AngelPhiSig
If you have a degree you ARE elligable to join a Phi Sigma Sigma chapter!

Phi Sigma Sigma allows grad students as active members
(isnt that right Iota Gamma? )

I dont know if you have a chapter on your campus... but I just wanted to correct the people saying that you CANT join a sorority when you are a grad student
You are so right about Grads being eligible for Phi Sig, I should know since I became a founding sister of the Iota Gamma Chapter as a grad along with a few others. We will even be pinning a few in to this new member class as well.

Don't give up. Talk to your Rho Chi a little more to see what you can find out and then try for COB events if they have them.

Good luck and keep us posted on what is going on
Carolyn

IG - CKA
Vice Archon - So. LA County Alumnae Chapter
Old 09-23-2002, 10:45 AM

Send a message via AIM to maggieaxid
There are lots of things that could have gotten you cut so early-- it, a lot of the time, depends on the school you go to and the orgs that are there. Also, on your rush application if they asked what year you were or if the greek life office ran a report and your status as a student was like 5th year or such, that would be a valid reason for cutting you so early. Only the sororities get these grade reports, so unless you explained to everyone about your situation, they are wondering why a 5th year is going through.
Also, as for the campus, were there lots of freshmen going through? How many girls went through vs. the number of sororities...these are all huge factors.
I would take into consideration all this stuff before you beat yourself up about it.
Old 09-23-2002, 11:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Also, please don't let whatever happened in high school hang you up. That was a lifetime ago and all the people who made your life hell are now sitting at home watching CMT and eating Food Club Doritos or restocking the tampon shelf at Wal-Mart. You are far better off.
Oh goodness that was too funny... but OH SO TRUE. I agree with everyone who has said, look into COB, talk to the Greek Affairs office... but please remember that your worth as a person should never be determined by who cut you during recruitment. With or without a bid, you are still far from "rejected" in the eyes of the people who know you and care about you. Hopefully you can find a group that sees your talents and abilities, Greek or not.
Old 09-23-2002, 11:57 AM
GreekChat Member

You know, it might help to know where you go to school. At many schools, if you're not a freshman and 18 years old, you seriously have to be a rock star to be invited back to many houses, especially in later rounds.
Old 09-23-2002, 05:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Eve,

I am sorry you had a bad experience. Please don't take it personally! I am sure you are a wonderful girl who has a lot to offer.

Yes, sororities do often cut upperclassmen,etc, because they need people who will be in the sorority longer to keep the sorority going. When a lot of girls graduste and numbers are low rush can be tough.

I was cut from three houses my first round because I was not a freshman or soph. At one house the girl rushing me was quite rude to me after she found out I wasn't a freshman.

I stuck it out and ended up getting a bid from AOPi, which I am so grateful for!

There is always COB and snap bidding, which you may well be eligible for.

Keep smiling.
Old 09-23-2002, 05:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Question

Women and Soroitys are a mystery to me!

But it may be that in a formal rush, only so many people can be Associated so there is a cutting point.

COB or Snap bid is something that is done after Formal Rush!

I dont think it is age, but maybe your status of what year you at in your school!

Is she going to be here long enuff to be of help!

Basically, no one wants a short termer who cannot move upwards in the Organization and help in the long term!

Please investigate further and see what you can do!!

LX Z # 1
Alumni