GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,147
1 members and 1,146 guests
Low D Flat

Old 07-16-2012, 03:31 PM
Super Moderator

Sounds like she will be well prepared!
Old 07-16-2012, 09:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Bump
Old 08-14-2012, 02:15 PM
GreekChat Member

I won't reiterate all the great advice that has already been given, but add this to the list:

Keep your phone by your side following the days' events (and in the early morning before they begin) just in case there are last-minute schedule changes. And if you have any schedule conflicts alert Panhellenic immediately so you can be excused and not cut from recruitment!

Wear sunscreen and stay hydrated. It is HOT out there if you're going through recruitment in the fall.

Be nice to everyone, have fun, and try to find a few things to like about each chapter each day.
Old 08-14-2012, 02:16 PM

^^^^Doth my eyes deceive me?

Lakers Nation.
Old 08-14-2012, 02:27 PM
GreekChat Member

I was feeling nostalgic today, so I decided to pop my head in and say hi!
Old 08-14-2012, 02:32 PM

What have you been up to? Law school?

Lakers Nation.
Old 08-14-2012, 02:40 PM
GreekChat Member

lawyering

And hijacking threads, apparently!
Old 08-14-2012, 03:35 PM
Super Moderator

WELCOME!!!!
We have missed you. Please stay!
Old 08-16-2012, 05:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Just a bump...

It's only words, and words are all I have to take your heart away.
Old 05-21-2014, 07:48 AM
GreekChat Member

I wasn't sure where to put this, so I'm putting it here.

I received an email today from the daughter of a friend that was a "group email" asking for "a rec or a letter". It wasn't addressed to anyone specifically and said something like "I know some of you are in sororities and if you are and you'd be interested in writing me a rec or a letter, just let me know". She attached a not very well written resume

This is NOT how you ask someone to write you a recommendation. For anything. Ever.

I could go on and on, but there is so much advice about the importance of recommendations for some schools (large SEC school for this young lady) that I think that this PNM got focused on getting it done without considering the importance of good manners.
Old 05-21-2014, 08:12 AM
GreekChat Member

^^^ Wow.

I agree with you. I do think that sometimes they are just checking off their to-do list and forget the details in the process, not to mention good manners.

PNMs: Virtually every organization has a section on their rec that includes something about the PNMs character/personality/presentation/maturity/insert non-resume adjective here. Remember that how you interact with your rec writers is already putting forth your first impression with those writers. While I don't think there are many women who would write "she sucks at introductions," a PNM who exhibits appropriate manners and appreciation when soliciting recs will likely get some gushing in that same section.

To add to the thread, our APH's update for 2014 sadly has to include "do not send selfies." Never in a million years would I have guessed that we would have to add that to our instructions. Unbelievable what we were getting.
Old 05-21-2014, 08:45 AM
Super Moderator

Oh my!!! Our society has gotten so casual, and the niceties often fall by the wayside. i believe in many instances the "children" are not taught proper manners, and don't realize that manners and etiquette are important tools for networking and in the business world. sigh!

PNMs: You can go the the library or a book store and find etiquette books. You can also find etiquette information online. If you weren't taught to write thank you's, or how to set a table, or how to write a written request for a recommendation-not just for rush, but for scholarship applications, graduate school applications, job applications, etc., it behooves you to educate yourself.

Last edited by FSUZeta; 05-21-2014 at 08:52 AM.
Old 10-04-2014, 12:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UGAalum94 View Post
Can you imagine what that would lead to?

My RC was very helpful too. Most probably are.

But if the people posting here are accurately reporting what they were told, there are a bunch of campuses not following NPC guidelines and/or a significant number of RCs who give people wrong advice about how bid matching works, the consequences of ISP (is it Intentional Single Preference or Single Intentional Preference SIP for "suiciding" these days?) or the conditions under which you're eligible for COB or snap bids.

Fortunately, I think a relatively small percentage of PNMs are ever affected negatively. But you would have no way of knowing if you were one of them until after you listed a chapter you didn't want on your bid card because you'd been told that maximizing your options gave you a better shot at your top group. Ugh.

I am confused. My daughter was told exactly that-to maximize her options and to list both chapters on her bid card even though she really did not like one of the chapters. Are you saying that she would have had a better chance of getting the chapter she wanted if she only had listed it?
Old 10-04-2014, 01:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny3 View Post
I am confused. My daughter was told exactly that-to maximize her options and to list both chapters on her bid card even though she really did not like one of the chapters. Are you saying that she would have had a better chance of getting the chapter she wanted if she only had listed it?
No. If your daughter had only listed one she would not have received a bid at all.
Old 07-26-2015, 12:28 PM
Super Moderator

TTT!