GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,405
0 members and 1,405 guests
No Members online

Old 04-11-2018, 10:28 AM

The following schools have opened for expansion:

Benedictine University(IL) - new Greek system- previously announced

SUNY-Farmingdale

Union College(NY)

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-11-2018, 10:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaneSig View Post

SUNY-Farmingdale

Union College(NY)
Interesting that Theta Phi Alpha just closed their colony at SUNY-Farmingdale and Union College has had AXO pull out of colonizing and Tri Delta close this year...hope these schools can fix whatever issues are plaguing them and preventing successful growth.
Old 04-11-2018, 12:06 PM
GreekChat Member

I think it is irresponsible for the authority on each campus (Panhellenic or head of student activities) to vote to open Farmingdale and Union for sorority expansion.
Old 04-11-2018, 12:27 PM
GreekChat Member

I know we presented at Union when AXO did. I do not want us to attempt to colonize there unless whatever issues have been sorted out.

Interesting that out of this two are NY schools. Didn't the SUNYs have issues with hazing and local (state) organizations that then joined national ones?

To Bind. To Strive. To Aid.

Missouri S&T
Old 04-11-2018, 12:29 PM

Just because it opens, doesn’t mean anyone will bite. I think Pitt-Bradford has been open for 3 years and no groups have touched it, because they all have at least one brain cell in their heads.

And sometimes it’s not the school, it’s the group. Have no idea if that’s the case at any of these places, but there are differences between the 26.
Old 04-11-2018, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDKells View Post
I know we presented at Union when AXO did. I do not want us to attempt to colonize there unless whatever issues have been sorted out.

Interesting that out of this two are NY schools. Didn't the SUNYs have issues with hazing and local (state) organizations that then joined national ones?
The SUNY system had nationals and then somewhere around 1950ish, the state made the groups leave their nationals because of white clauses. Think that lasted about 5 years. Some went back to nationals, some turned into regionals and some stayed local.

And these are 2 NY schools but they are pretty much as alike as Ruth’s Chris and Burger King.
Old 04-11-2018, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xidelt View Post
I think it is irresponsible for the authority on each campus (Panhellenic or head of student activities) to vote to open Farmingdale and Union for sorority expansion.
You can't make women (or men) join a group that they simply don't want to join.

There have been numerous campuses that had an organization that was/is struggling to recruit that opened for expansion. In some cases, the struggling chapter closed right after the new chapter colonized (or a year or two later). On some campuses, the struggling chapter closed the semester before the planned colonization. There are also campuses where the struggling chapter continued to stay open and continued/continues to have low membership numbers or managed to capitalize on the interest (and the help of RFM) and turned themselves around. I could name some campuses, but I don't want it to look like I am dogging any chapters.

So, if the campus is wanting to grow or the other chapters are wanting to control their size it is best for them to expand.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 04-11-2018, 09:19 PM

Not to mention, a chapter being a dog in the manger doesn't do itself any favors. My chapter voted for expansion (national colonization of interest groups) twice when we were under total, and HQ reprimanded us for it. What on earth were we supposed to do? If they'd wanted to join us, they would have in the first place. We saw voting for it as being positive and Panhellenic, and the new groups did increase overall interest in Greek life.

It's different at huge Greek schools where the only expansion ever seen is a ground up colonization, but neither of the schools in question are remotely like that.
Old 04-11-2018, 10:35 PM
GreekChat Member

I think the big difference between the two schools I named is that Tri Delta closed at Union for RMF, not for low numbers. According to Irishpipes' thread they made quota in the formal recruitment the semester before they were closed. And what I didn't realize was that when AXO pulled out of colonizing, they did cite that there weren't enough women interested to create a viable new chapter. That was also Fall 2016 rather than Fall 2017 like I had thought.

Regardless, it sounds like any new group selected will have to do something different to be successful.
Old 04-13-2018, 12:14 PM

Congratulations to Delta Gamma on chartering at the University of North Carolina-Wilmington this past weekend.

Old 04-16-2018, 10:57 AM

Zeta Tau Alpha has been invited to colonize at the University of Texas-Tyler in Fall '18.

Old 04-16-2018, 12:40 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

SUNY-Farmingdale

Union College(NY)
When did Benedictine announce that they are open to a Greek System? That's in my back yard (almost literally!).
Old 04-16-2018, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychile View Post
When did Benedictine announce that they are open to a Greek System? That's in my back yard (almost literally!).
They originally announced that they were establishing Greek Life sometime this past fall.

I do know a certain fraternity expansion committee member reached out to them 3 different times to discuss presentations/colonizing, and never ever heard back from them.

Old 04-16-2018, 02:30 PM

Phi Mu has been invited to colonize at Pace University(NY) in Spring '19.

Old 04-16-2018, 03:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Phi Mu has been invited to colonize at Pace University(NY) in Spring '19.
Which campus is this?

To Bind. To Strive. To Aid.

Missouri S&T