GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > News & Politics

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,890
0 members and 1,890 guests
No Members online

Old 03-27-2004, 10:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to damasa Send a message via AIM to damasa Send a message via Yahoo to damasa
Quote:
Originally posted by justamom
You know honeychile, I never gave this much thought-never HAD to. But if I lean one way, I have to agree with you. I'm a bit of an isolationist...I'm damn PROUD to be American. I want my First Lady to be an American too!

]
I think honeychile is talking about naturalized Americans.

From what I take in your post you are talking about a person being an American citizen. Would you then be accepting of a first lady that was granted American citizenship?
Old 03-27-2004, 10:42 PM
Super Moderator

I may be wrong concerning someone with dual citizenship:

US Constitution, Article II, Section 1:

"Clause 5:

No Person except a natural born Citizen, or a Citizen of the United States, at the time of the Adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the Office of President; neither shall any Person be eligible to that Office who shall not have attained to the Age of thirty five Years, and been fourteen Years a Resident within the United States."

I see no exceptions for dual citizenship. If I remember right, there is some question as to the propriety of the birth of one of the earlier Presidents (Jackson?) whose parents were born in Ireland, and whether he was born on the ship en route or here in the United States. It would have had to have been someone born after 1787, but definitely before Lincoln. Ack! I'm going to have to find this out!!
Old 03-27-2004, 11:48 PM
GreekChat Member

As far as what would make me switch, a total reversal of party platforms is the only thing that would make me change. That includes gun control, abortion issues, health care issues, economic issues, civil liberties issues, defense issues, etc.

I could not make a blanket statement about whether a First Lady would have to have been born in the US. My grandparents weren't born in the U.S. but they were more patriotic and dedicated to this country than many Americans. They cherished their right to vote and were Americans by choice.

I have a sorority sister whose husband was transferred to London for two years and two of their children were born there. They had to become naturalized citizens since they were born in the UK. It was very easy for them to attain citizenship, but they are not considered natural born citizens. The US doesn't recognize their UK citizenship anymore but the UK does, so if they don't make an Olympic team here, they can compete in the Olympics for the UK (if they made it and wanted to). I wouldn't say they are any less American because they were born in the U.K. Then again, our Governor is Canadian born and I voted for her! I can think of instances where it might sway my decision though. I would look at it on a case by case basis.

Dee
Old 03-28-2004, 12:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Peaches-n-Cream
My mother is a dual citizen. She was born in the US, but her mother was born in Ireland. She is American and Irish. I could become an Irish citizen without giving up my American citizenship. It is only a matter of paperwork.

I still don't see the big deal about having a First Lady who is not born in the US. I think that it might happen soon.

I cannot predict where I will be in the future, but I really can't see myself switching parties.
Old 03-28-2004, 01:21 AM
Banned

Since people like hijacking my thread you'd think they'd at least give some thought as to why that rule is there? Is it to elect the person that acts "most American" and what is American? Stop acting like you know and stay on topic.

-Rudey
Old 03-28-2004, 01:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by honeychile
Teresa Heinz Kerry was born in Africa, in Mozambique.

As I said before, I had the same problem when Sen. John Heinz was interested in the White House.

James, have you forgotten the much touted "Two for the price of one!" campaign?

There is a requirement that all US Presidents must be US born. 5th grade history right there.

And how long has Mrs. Kerry lived in the US? Are we talkin' she was born in Africa because her father was in the army, or she is of African descent and moved over here 5 years ago? Big difference.
Old 03-28-2004, 01:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: having a sit sit while lusting after Olympic swimmers
she was born and raised in Mozambique - but she sounds pretty damn impressive to me! I have no problem with a wife (or husband when we have a female president) being foreign born but otherwise a naturalized citizen.

info about Teresa
http://johnkerry.convio.com/site/Pag...show_wrapper=1

random facts about her:
- She speaks five languages and studied in Geneva to be an interpreter
- She became a naturalized U.S. citizen in 1971, and joined the Republican Party
- she was married to Republican Sen. John Heinz of Pennsylvania before he died in a plane crash in 1991
- her and Kerry married in 1995 - she has 3 sons, he has 2 daughters (it's nearly the brady bunch )
- she took her husbands name (Kerry) only when he entered the presidential race (as did the wives of Bill Clinton & Howard Dean)
- she also switched parties (from republican to democrat) so she could vote for him
- she is chairman of The Heinz Endowments and the Heinz Family Philanthropies

I wonder if the people of Monaco had a problem with Grace Kelly becoming princess or if the people of Jordan had a problem with Queen Noor (she is an amazing woman)

Last edited by mullet81; 03-28-2004 at 02:03 AM.
Old 03-28-2004, 08:50 AM
GreekChat Member

damasa and other thinking this-
Quote:
Originally posted by damasa
I think honeychile is talking about naturalized Americans.

From what I take in your post you are talking about a person being an American citizen. Would you then be accepting of a first lady that was granted American citizenship?
There's a world of difference between wanting and accepting.
Considering the politics of the past 16+ years, I guess I'd have to say I'd be accepting. Look at all I've "accepted" thus far.
So much for hypothetical...

Rudey-Since people like hijacking my thread you'd think they'd at least give some thought as to why that rule is there? Is it to elect the person that acts "most American" and what is American? Stop acting like you know and stay on topic.

Now, now Rudey that's a bit of the pot calling the kettle black!

Valkyrie- My dad was born in Lithuania but he is just as much of an American as you or I am. Actually, I had just read a post in another thread that got me going so my response bled into this one...Big no-no! Of course he is. Did not mean to offend.
Old 03-28-2004, 02:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy

We do not need a female President!

Hell, Nancy Reagan was the Power behind Ronnie! Still is!

Hillary was not aware and as smart as Bill, well smarter! DA!

Whats His Name with Whats Her Name Carter? What a corn pone! Oh, peanut man!

God, I am still pissed that god took one of our ribs and made woman, and we have been paying for it ever since!

Oh, just a rant!

Aint in for the Pound, aint in for the Ounce!

Arnold is already turning things around in the Land of Fruits and Nuts, but his life line is Maria, Blood of the Kennedys!

Arrg me heartless Political Demigods, try to vote it you do for the Best Man!

One out of two a may not be the best, but what the hell, who do you vote for!?????

Ran for elections twice, thank god I lost!

Mary had a little Lamb, everywhere Mary went the Lamb was still sucking up to Her!

Right in the croutch is embaressing!

Oh, why switch Parties, when one tells me I have to vote a certain way and for a certain person!

LX Z # 1
Alumni

Last edited by Tom Earp; 03-28-2004 at 02:41 PM.
Old 03-28-2004, 03:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Actually, I had just read a post in another thread that got me going so my response bled into this one...Big no-no! Of course he is. Did not mean to offend.
No offense taken JAM!!
Old 03-29-2004, 12:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to damasa Send a message via AIM to damasa Send a message via Yahoo to damasa
Quote:

So much for hypothetical...

[
Oh it is still about the hypothetical...it hasn't gone anywhere. I didn't assume antyhign about you but there seemed to be a difference in what Honeychile was talking about and what you had stated.
Old 03-29-2004, 06:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Had to get it all clear in my brain-

Citizenship through parents

LAST UPDATE: 6/17/2003 4:48:27 PM

If you were born in the United States or both of your parents are American citizens and you’ve been living in the United States, the laws make it quite clear that you’re automatically granted American citizenship. However, if you were born abroad or your parents are naturalized citizens, the laws that determine whether or not you can acquire citizenship through your parents are more complex. To determine which law affects your citizenship status, you must apply the law that’s passed immediately prior to your birth date. For example, if you were born in 1980, you must adhere to the amendment passed in 1978 and satisfy all the requirements that the amendment asks for. One of the requirements you may be required to meet is a residency requirement. This requirement will usually depend on whether one or both of your parents were U.S. citizens at the time of your birth. If you were born abroad and only one of your parents was an American citizen at the time of your birth, the citizen parent must meet a residency requirement and live in the United States for a certain period of time in order to pass on citizenship to a child. In some instances, you may also have to fulfill a residency requirement to keep from losing your citizenship. As stated before, the residency requirement that your parent or you must meet will depend on the existing law at time of your birth. If you were born to naturalized parents, the laws automatically grant citizenship to you, provided you were under 18 years old and had a green card at the time your parents’ naturalization took place. Some people with naturalized parents mistakenly think that they’re not citizens because they, themselves, never took part in a naturalization interview and ceremony. Keep in mind, however, that the laws on automatic naturalization of children have also varied over the years. As a result, you must adhere to the laws that existed when your parents’ naturalization took place. Generally, if there’s a possibility that someone in your direct line of ancestry is a U.S. citizen or naturalized citizen, it can be well worth your time and effort to explore the laws in effect on you and your ancestors’ date of birth. It may be that you’re already a U.S. citizen and don’t know it.

I'm still with honeychile!

...did Monaco care about Grace Kelly? How about Jordan and Lisa Halaby?hmmmmmm Maybe they are more open minded than I am...
Old 03-29-2004, 06:43 PM
Super Moderator

If I thought the libertarian party was anything more than an interesting diversion, I'd switch.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 03-29-2004, 08:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ktsnake
If I thought the libertarian party was anything more than an interesting diversion, I'd switch.
Yeah, it's unfortunate that a vote for libertarian is a vote for Bush... If you like Nadar best (and yes, I know he's Green Party) but would rather have Gore than Bush, do you vote for Nadar or vote for Gore???

That said, I'm still a democrat all the way. I like Kerry/Edwards and hope that Kerry will select Edwards as his VP. *fingers crossed*

On an off note, I do think it is a shame that democrats are running on the campaign of "Anybody but Bush." I mean, I don't like the guy, either, but it's a shame that in order to win we can't support our own president. I wish it was more friendly, like, "Bush is a great guy and all, but we just think we're better." Shameful.
Old 03-29-2004, 09:04 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by CarolinaDG

On an off note, I do think it is a shame that democrats are running on the campaign of "Anybody but Bush." I mean, I don't like the guy, either, but it's a shame that in order to win we can't support our own president. I wish it was more friendly, like, "Bush is a great guy and all, but we just think we're better." Shameful.
IMHO, your post shows an inordinate amount of class! I was definitely going to be torn if Edwards had won the nomination.