GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,044
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, NikiMussen
» Online Users: 1,480
0 members and 1,480 guests
No Members online

Old 04-06-2005, 07:18 PM
GreekChat Member

NPHC BGLOers: Why Did you Join?

I'm sure there is a thread about this somewhere but I couldn't find it.

Someone please answer the question and include as much detail as you possibly can.

*edited for niceness*

Last edited by DSTCHAOS; 04-06-2005 at 07:27 PM.
Old 04-06-2005, 08:00 PM
GreekChat Member

I'll start

Throughout my formative years, the women who made the biggest impacts in my life were all Deltas. And at the end of my senior year in high school, my mother was initiated into the local alumnae chapter.

When I went to college there was not a Delta chapter, and there was only one Delta (who had transferred in) on campus. However, there were two other NPHC sororities on campus. Although, my roommate pledged one of these sororities and I made many friends in the other, my heart was already with Delta.

I waited while the lone Delta worked hard to gather other interested ladies (through what we call a city-wide chapter.) After a little over a year and two ships, there were 30+members. At that point I Rushed and was accepted. With my ship there ended up being 50+ members.

However the campus had decided to not recognized any more GLOs so we were not given a house and neither were the Omegas, or Phi Beta Sigmas who also established a presence during this time.

Then our national president (who was the first Black Civil Rights Commissioner) was invited to speak at a forum sponsored by the school's Panhellenic Council. Upon arriving on our campus, she asked why her sorority was not recognized. That started the wheels in motion, the University lifted its ban and the rest of us were recognized. We still were not given houses, because the school did not want to build any more (yes the greek houses were owned by the school, not the resident organizations.)

We then chartered a new chapter specific to the campus.
Reaffirmed: Glen Ellyn Area Alumnae
All in the MIGHTY MIDWEST REGION!

Last edited by ladygreek; 04-06-2005 at 08:27 PM.
Old 04-06-2005, 09:03 PM
Super Moderator

The year I attended Grambling State University, 89-90, I met a wonderful young lady named Veronica Adams, who was the SGA (student government) president at the time. The day I met her, was registration day and I had to get to the other side of the campus from my dorm.(for any of you GSU survivors, I lived in Jones the 1st semester-yuck!)

I looked lost and she directed me to the gym. She told me if I needed anything to contact her and that she was the SGA president and could be reached anytime. Cool! I later found out that Veronica was also the president of the GSU chapter of Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority.

Later in the school year, the greeks had their smokers and teas (rush parties). Since I had transferred in from another school, I did not have the required 30 resident units and I lost some units in transferring to GSU so I became a froshy ( ) and I was not eligible to join but I did attend rush. The only “social” orgs on campus were six of the Great Eight ( IPhiTheta wasn’t in NPHC yet). I attended 3 rushes and learned everything I could about the groups. And although I was not able to rush, the SGRho ladies kept in touch with me and invited me to events with them for the rest of the school year. They really left a lasting impression with me.

I returned home to Cali at the end of the year and focused on school and getting my life together. When I was finally ready so many years later, I rushed and was accepted into my sorority. It was a long road but well worth the wait.

Besides all of the great things that my sorority does and participates in, Veronica Adams was one of the main reasons I wanted to become a member. The kindness and friendliness she extended to me during that year really touched me. I hope to see her one day soon to thank her(and to call her Soror)

The programs, community service, social outlets that NPHC's participate in were things and events I wanted to be a part of. I saw how active the grad members were and how much positive influence they had/have in the greater community.(church, school, etc..) I also saw how much fun the undergrads were having but I saw the long term benefits and not only how membership could help me but how my membership could help my respective sorority.

Last edited by NinjaPoodle; 04-06-2005 at 09:06 PM.
Old 04-06-2005, 09:30 PM
GreekChat Member

:)

Where I grew up, the NPHC organizations were really big. I went to a boarding school for high school (which was located on a college campus) so I was exposed to a lot of people who were Greek and in the process of becoming Greek.

A good number of my mentors were either Greeks, Masons, OES or Greek and OES/Mason. I really respected the work they did in the community, so I knew I wanted to be one when I went to college. I had been thoroughly educated about some of the organizations, but I researched the histories of all of the sororities (and most of the fraternities) and chose the one that appealed to me the most.

Jones, NP??? *shudder*
Old 04-06-2005, 09:49 PM
GreekChat Member

So, since we aren't delving too much into the psychological aspect of it all, it looks like there are some generalizations that can be made from these stories and the long, drawn-out explanations in that other thread.

***Hint hint***

Does anyone have a unique circumstance as compared to the ones already expressed? For instance, did any of you land on the planet Earth right before the first day of classes and you were FORCED to choose an organization immediately? How did you all make this decision?
Old 04-06-2005, 09:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool

A Very Great Post for a Thread.

Will be interesting to read what is related here!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 04-06-2005, 10:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DSTCHAOS
So, since we aren't delving too much into the psychological aspect of it all, it looks like there are some generalizations that can be made from these stories and the long, drawn-out explanations in that other thread.

***Hint hint***

Does anyone have a unique circumstance as compared to the ones already expressed? For instance, did any of you land on the planet Earth right before the first day of classes and you were FORCED to choose an organization immediately? How did you all make this decision?
Yes, I have a unique circumstance!

Was I FORCED to choose immediately? No.

I don't want nobody to give me nothin. Open up a door, I'll get it myself!! (The late, great James Brown)
Old 04-06-2005, 10:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BlueReign
Yes, I have a unique circumstance!
Care to share or is it too personal?
Old 04-06-2005, 10:41 PM
GreekChat Member

No, it's not too personal. Like I said in the other thread about researching on your own and not asking questions over the internet!!

I had never met a member of Sigma Gamma Rho during the time that I was an undergraduate student. However, I did know many AKAs and Deltas. I did not know much about Sigma Gamma Rho until after I graduated. I RESEARCHED on my own!! It was only because I had the "audacity", "guts", "intelligence" or a combination or so that I went to several events (via research and contact) and got to know the members.

It wasn't a hard thing to do and then again it was hard. When I was an undergrad I was in another state my first two years of college and there were no NPHC organizations there at the time. When I transferred back home to DC that is when I met NPHC members. Still though that was mid 80's. When I did become thoroughly acquainted with the sororities it was time to graduate. I got a job. I got married. I had babies. I still had an interest in black sororities because I continuously read and saw what contributions they were making to the community around me. I did not become a member of Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority until I was 36 years old and that was through a graduate chapter.

I say it was hard because I didn't have the benefit of being a student and having classes and activities with members. I had to come to service and social events and assert myself around a group of women that I did not know and who did not know me. I must have made a good impression -- WITHOUT ASKING QUESTIONS OF MEMBERS THROUGH THE INTERNET!!

I don't want nobody to give me nothin. Open up a door, I'll get it myself!! (The late, great James Brown)
Old 04-06-2005, 10:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BlueReign
I must have made a good impression -- WITHOUT ASKING QUESTIONS OF MEMBERS THROUGH THE INTERNET!!
Old 04-06-2005, 11:05 PM
GreekChat Member

To all that have posted their stories and experiences-

THANK YOU! They are great and heart warming to read!

I appreciate you all taking the time to share them with us.
Old 04-06-2005, 11:54 PM
GreekChat Member

To my SGRho Greek Sisters. The 2 orgs on my campus initially were AKA and SGRho. My roommate pledge AKA. My many friends were SGRhos. If I had not already been committed in my heart to DST, you would have been my choice to pursue. That is why you will always have my utmost respect.

Now I am going to take you back. In the movie Wiz, in the opening scene there was a young lady who came in with her baby. She is a SGRho and was one of my friends in college.

Last edited by ladygreek; 04-07-2005 at 12:02 AM.
Old 04-07-2005, 12:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Just to add to where I left off in the previous post.
I attended a predominatly white university and the HBGLOs did not do annual intake. The AKA chapter had a line the second semester of my freshman year. The good thing about this was that my current roomate was now a member, the bad thing was that I was now unsure if another intake would occur before I graduated.

During the next few semesters I was at 110% trying to get ready for the next rush. I even formally expressed interest to members of the chapter. I was ready! The fall of my junior year I believed that they would hold a rush. However, they did not. Around the same time I interviewed and was accepted for a internship that would require me to transfer to another university for the spring semester. I sat on the fence a long time concerning what I was going to do. I knew that if I was away, I could not participate if rush was held. I spoke to several older members and was told "academics first". I pondered a bit more and with a heavy heart I withdrew from the University and headed home for break.

During the spring semester I attended the new university but still kept in touch with my friends at my home university. I remember when I found out that rush was held. I ws devistated. I knew then that my dreams of undergradate membership were over.

Coming back to campus the following fall (my senior year) was difficult. All my friends were members and I was still the aspirant. In addition, I was a senior and knew there would not be another line.

Graduation came and went. Law school came and went. The state bar came and went. My desire to become a member of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority did not. After moving to a new city and starting my new job, I went about the business of putting my face and name out in the community. I met the "right" people and went to the "right" events.

After no less than 10 years of admiring and desiring, I was initiated into a graduate chapter (One month ago today). And I must admit, it feels good to be one the other side.
Old 04-07-2005, 12:38 AM
GreekChat Member

^^^^ Now see, that is what it means to have it in your heart. That is the epitome of BGLO membership.
Old 04-07-2005, 12:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Deep in my heart, I love my AKA! I Love my A_K_A!

I love it! I love it! I love it!