GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,042
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, prettyandpearls
» Online Users: 1,857
0 members and 1,857 guests
No Members online

Old 12-10-2012, 07:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Joining a NPHC organization outside of your school's chapter

Hey everyone!

I was curious if it's possible to seek membership into a NPHC organization that isn't on the campus at which you attend. I've had some greeks say it's possible and others say it's not, so is this something that's dependent on the organization or is there a definite answer? Thanks!
Old 12-10-2012, 09:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhoenix View Post
Hey everyone!

I was curious if it's possible to seek membership into a NPHC organization that isn't on the campus at which you attend. I've had some greeks say it's possible and others say it's not, so is this something that's dependent on the organization or is there a definite answer? Thanks!
Ask a member of the organization in person. Or someone at the chapter you wish to join. Or even the Inter/National headquarters of the organization you are interested in joining.

Oh, but there's the problem...how would you possibly find someone?

http://bit.ly/TQta2I

Old 12-10-2012, 09:20 PM
GreekChat Member

LMAO apparently the hypothetical XYZ we've been referring to all these years is DST.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Hey everyone!

Well, you know, this is kind of confusing to me because you posted this a while back in the AKA forum.

Quote:
Greetings!

It's been a long time coming for me, and with a lot of soul-searching, research, observing, and waiting, I have reached a crossroads that I have yet to overcome. So I thought why not go straight to the source with my inquiries!

I am a prospect of XYZ, and after getting myself in the best position to be the most competitive and desirable applicant possible I was ready to take the first step to seeking membership.

Then the problem arose.

I attend an institution in the south that is infamous for having an almost non-existent minority population. Due to this fact, the NPHC orgs on campus post fliers, tweets, and Facebook updates about upcoming interest meetings. There will be fliers on every flat surface you can see! All of the orgs except the one I am interested in.

In a way, this sort of offends me. Semester after semester a new line of girls magically appear. Even other greeks are confused!

To get to the point, is there something I'm not understanding about seeking membership? The university requires certain documentation be submitted a set amount of days before the interest meeting and more afterwards, but how am I to do so if there is never a meeting! Or for a different perspective, if the interest meetings aren't made known to the general public?
It seems to me like there is a chapter at your school but they just aren't that into you.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Row View Post
Well, you know, this is kind of confusing to me because you posted this a while back in the AKA forum.

It seems to me like there is a chapter at your school but they just aren't that into you.
Before you 'assume' that the chapter at my school isn't 'that into me', wouldn't it be appropriate to ask my reasoning behind seeking membership elsewhere? I am not the type of person to try to be somewhere I am not wanted.

If this helps any, the chapter at my school recently got suspended for hazing and discrimination. Though the girls at my school know that I am an interest, it is likely they will be suspended for a few years since this is their second time in three years getting 'in trouble' for hazing. Sadly, I'll be gone soon. I just wanted to know if seeking membership elsewhere was possible.

I would prefer if responses to this were actually helpful and not suggestive or accusatory. Thank you.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ree-Xi View Post
Ask a member of the organization in person. Or someone at the chapter you wish to join. Or even the Inter/National headquarters of the organization you are interested in joining.

Oh, but there's the problem...how would you possibly find someone?

http://bit.ly/TQta2I
I've asked a member of the org at my school and she said it's possible, but when I asked someone else in the same org from a different school they said it wasn't. I've been to the national website and it speaks nothing of my specific situation.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Before you 'assume' that the chapter at my school isn't 'that into me', wouldn't it be appropriate to ask my reasoning behind seeking membership elsewhere? I am not the type of person to try to be somewhere I am not wanted.

If this helps any, the chapter at my school recently got suspended for hazing and discrimination. Though the girls at my school know that I am an interest, it is likely they will be suspended for a few years since this is their second time in three years getting 'in trouble' for hazing. Sadly, I'll be gone soon. I just wanted to know if seeking membership elsewhere was possible.

I would prefer if responses to this were actually helpful and not suggestive or accusatory. Thank you.
If you gave us ALL the pertinent information, you'd get better answers. Don't leave out information like this. You need to ask someone at the national office. They are the final arbitor.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Oh riiiiight, that's convenient.

You should know NPHC membership questions are not appropriate online. That is why no one will give an answer. I'm in an NPC and even I know that.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
If you gave us ALL the pertinent information, you'd get better answers. Don't leave out information like this. You need to ask someone at the national office. They are the final arbitor.
Thank you. I contacted them today and got an answer/explanation!
Old 12-11-2012, 10:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Row View Post
Oh riiiiight, that's convenient.

You should know NPHC membership questions are not appropriate online. That is why no one will give an answer. I'm in an NPC and even I know that.
Thank you for your sarcasm, criticism, accusatory comments, and feeling the need to answer a question on a topic that you admitted to not being an expert on. Why should the peasant attempt to handle the queen's matters?
Old 12-11-2012, 10:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Only if we cared.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
Ditto. What you presented in your first post =/= second post. Rather, the reasoning why you'd want/need to join another chapter differs.

Scenario 1: Can you join a chapter at another school because a. they're just not that into you or b. you don't think you've had the proper opportunity to pursue membership (i think it's the former, agreeing with Old Row)?

Scenario 2: Can you join a chapter at another school because a. the chapter got suspended/prevented from bringing new members in and b. you're going to graduate by the time the chapter gets off suspension?
Old 12-11-2012, 10:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Why should the peasant attempt to handle the queen's matters?
'Cause the peasant has a lot more sense than the queen, bless her heart?
Old 12-11-2012, 10:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tld221 View Post
Only if we cared.

Ditto. What you presented in your first post =/= second post. Rather, the reasoning why you'd want/need to join another chapter differs.

Scenario 1: Can you join a chapter at another school because a. they're just not that into you or b. you don't think you've had the proper opportunity to pursue membership (i think it's the former, agreeing with Old Row)?

Scenario 2: Can you join a chapter at another school because a. the chapter got suspended/prevented from bringing new members in and b. you're going to graduate by the time the chapter gets off suspension?
You seem to care enough to read my posts, dissect them, respond, and bold the parts that interested you.

I'm not sure what you think '=/=' between my two posts. Like I said before, it's very likely that the chapter at my school will be suspended for a while (though it'd be sad to see them go) and I'm graduating soon. I'm not sure why you would assume they're not 'into me'. Once again, like I said before, I'm not the type of person who tries to be somewhere I'm not wanted.

So to answer your question about my question, 'Scenario 2' is what would apply.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
'Cause the peasant has a lot more sense than the queen, bless her heart?
Clearly not enough sense to become royalty themselves, correct?
Old 12-11-2012, 10:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Good grief.