GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,454
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, nathnpetrovo648
» Online Users: 1,544
2 members and 1,542 guests
MethrenLusia, PGD-GRAD

Old 07-02-2006, 02:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Letaylor
Recs and Recruit Advise

Hello! I have a few questions which has to do with recommendations and Recruitment. You all have given some excellent advise to others so i was wondering if you could help me out with a fews things...

I was wondering when writing a resume about yourself to give to Alumnae, is it better to have a very detailed one which not only lists your interests and activities but describes everything important you did in them? Or is it better to have a more brief resume that simply lists your activies and interests?

Secondly, I have heard that only Greek Alumnae that pay certain dues to their sorority can give recommendations. Is this true?

And Lastly, I was wondering if anyone had any advise about how to make yourself stand out in positive way when Rushing and visiting the different Sorority houses. I love meeting new people and being in social environments but i worry that i sometimes come across a bit too shy when initially meeting people.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-02-2006, 09:57 AM
Super Moderator

welcome to greekchat!!

i would go with the traditional resume style. in other words, brief descriptions.

if you want to go into more detail,you could always do so in a cover letter. if you use a cover letter, it might be helpful to keep things in the same order as you listed them in your resume'. it makes for easier reading.

as for sororities only accepting recommendations from those women who continue to pay dues, i can only answer for zeta tau alpha-there is no place on the membership information form that we fill out for pnms that asks if we pay dues or if we have remained active as alumnae.

as for making a good impression at all the houses, my advice would be to be outgoing, friendly and interested in the hostesses you meet at all the houses.
if you feel that you come across as reserved and a little shy, you still have time to work on overcoming that before you head off to school. initially it is all about the first impression-a good first impression will help get you to the second round of parties, where the sororities will get to learn more about you.

there are some wonderful threads from the past that have general information that will help pnms whether they are going thru a mega-recruitment or have a smaller greek life on their campus. some are stickied to the top of the recruitment forum, you would have to do a search for the others. by doing a search, you may even find a thread concerning your campus.

best wishes that you find your greek home.
Old 07-02-2006, 11:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Ditto to everything FSUZeta said.

You need to be outgoing, social, fun and happy during Recruitment in order to stand out. Hopefully that comes naturally, but some women need to push themselves in order to overcome their shyness. At the same time though you don't want to be the obnoxious, overly loud and aggressive PNM that scares people.

As for only dues paying alums allowed to right recs, honestly this is the first time I've ever even heard of such a suggestion. So while I can't speak for other sororities, I suspect somebody gave you some bad information.
Old 07-02-2006, 06:22 PM
GreekChat Member

I agree with the above, but I would say one thing about your resume - if you have a club/activity specific to your school/area that the rec-writer may not know of, it's better to include a description.

For example, I was in a community service club for three years in high school. The group was specific to my school and unless you went to my school, you never would have heard of it. So in filling out my resume for the alumni Panhellenic in my area, I stated that I was a three year member of and former vice preseident XYZ Club, which performed community service in the areas of A, B, and C. Otherwise, the women may have seen XYZ Club and not known whether it was for community service, sports, or competitive gossiping! (just kidding on the last one ) That's the only time I'd really include a specific definition, other than that keep your resume short, sweet, and to the point. Highlight your achievements and show off your leadership positions.