GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 927
2 members and 925 guests
LaneSig

Old 01-21-2017, 12:26 PM
Super Moderator

Greeks Not Welcome?

We've had threads here before about college clubs or teams that ban, or try to ban, Greeks from joining. They claim they have legit reasons, such as the time that Greek life would take away from practice.

So there's a university near here that has an international house/dorm. Students apply to get in and they pair an American with an international student in each room. They have functions, parties, and so forth.

I saw the application yesterday and Americans who apply have to agree that they won't go Greek! How can that be legal? And good grief, the international house doesn't do all THAT much together!
Old 01-21-2017, 01:59 PM
GreekChat Member

I can see why they would not want to have American Greeks in the system. Based on the wording it sounds like they are discouraging joining versus initiated members. It's my thought that the administration assumes PNMs of any GLO are going to devote all their time to the house, and not the international program. Or their fear is that Greek students will expose international students to the party and binge drinking cultures present at universities.

It's legal for students to waive their opportunity to join a GLO to take part in another program. When we all signed up for GC, we said we would follow the Terms of Service. The ToS can say anything it wants, and for us to be members here and have the ability to post we have to follow those rules. When we click 'Yes', we forfeit any of our rights outside the message board and replace them with the rules set by the ToS. Now, most rule sets made on forums like this mirror our own social constructs like refraining from hate speech and offensive language or subject matter, but if GC has a ban on talking about toothbrushes and you make a thread about them, don't be surprised when you receive any disciplinary action.

TL;DR School is playing on stereotypes of Greek Life, and students can join either group if they want to.
Old 01-22-2017, 07:08 AM
Super Moderator

How would it look if not only were Greeks banned, but members of the Black Student Union, Hillel, the baseball team? When does it change from ToS to discrimination?
Old 01-22-2017, 07:34 AM
GreekChat Member

I have always felt that schools that do this are very short sighted with respect towards Greeks.
We as Greeks know what we contribute to the schools we attend!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 01-22-2017, 07:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
How would it look if not only were Greeks banned, but members of the Black Student Union, Hillel, the baseball team? When does it change from ToS to discrimination?
This!