GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Academics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,446
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, ageldarkz5086
» Online Users: 2,297
0 members and 2,297 guests
No Members online

Old 11-28-2001, 11:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Law?

Just wondering who else here was a lawyer, in law school now, or planning on applying?

I'm at the end of my 1L year at the Levin College of Law at the University of Florida (in Gainesville). Sooooo excited - I got an offer about a month ago to be a summer associate at Foley & Lardner in Orlando! They ROCK - awesome friendly people. They work hard, but they see their families too. Great work/life balance. The firm is huge - 1900 attorneys nationwide - but only about 40 in Orlando, so they still have that close-knit, "small firm" feel.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-28-2001, 11:20 PM
GreekChat Member

I graduated from SUNY Buffalo School of Law in 2000. Since then, I've been working as the General Manager of a place called the Legal Grind in Santa Monica. I won't go into too much detail here...too much explaining to do, but you can look us up on the net. I love my job!

I am going to be starting a new job in a few weeks, but I love the Legal Grind so much that I am going to keep freelancing there. In a few years, I'm going to open up one of my own!

I was one of those odd ducks that went to law school with no intention of actually practicing law. Luckily, a JD is one of the most versatile degrees around. I really couldn't be happier with how things have turned out for me!
Old 11-28-2001, 11:36 PM
GreekChat Member

i'm only a sophomore in college right now, majoring in political science/international business but I plan to go to law school after I graduate.

I either want to go back home to chicago for law school, DePaul, Loyola, or John Marshall or head to DC and try my luck somehwere there... we'll see I've worked as an intern/clerk at the State's Attorney's office in downtown Chicago during the summers - that was fun, hasn't made me want to switch my major yet
Old 11-29-2001, 12:00 AM

I'm a lowly little 1L in nyc, at NYLS because my undergrad gpa kind of sucked (2.97). But, if all goes well, which it is, I'm probably transferring out to Cardozo or Fordham next fall. As you probably guessed, music is my thing and I'm hoping to land a spot in EMI's legal dept next semester and *pray* Skadden Arps for the summer. I hear ya greeklawgirl about having no major intention to actually practice law. i'm most likely going to try and be a CEO of my own label but figure this degree will do two things for me. 1st, help me from getting screwed by other "legal professionals" and second, ALWAYS be able to support my family. I don't know many lawyers that starve, especially down here, so it seemed like a smart choice. Besides, i'm gearing towards the Tech/IP thing as soon as I can take electives, and with the way the MP3 technology is changing copyright law, I'll probably never have trouble finding clients.
Old 11-29-2001, 12:32 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Siobhan
I will be writing my LSATs in february 2002 and will be applying UBC and UVic Law Schools.
Old 11-29-2001, 12:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Wow, Congrats on the Offer G&R , I will be applying to law schools next yr, kinda nervous about it though.How many law schools are you all applying to(the ones that are applying soon)
DGPhoney~
Old 11-29-2001, 02:34 AM
GreekChat Member

I only applied to one law school (UF) - so thank goodness I got in! I was fairly confident though, because I knew what "math" I needed (LSAT and GPA) to make it. Plus I went here for undergrad and worked at the alumni association, so I had some "friends in high places" writing me recommendation letters.

But oh wow, did my heart pound when I got that letter in the mail, with "ADMISSIONS - CONFIDENTIAL" stamped on the envelope. I opened it up, saw the word "Congratulations" and then I just yelled and then started crying, I was so happy, I couldn't read anymore because my eyes wouldn't focus. My brother was in the next room and he heard me and came running in. He thought I had gotten rejected! He started giving me a hug and saying "I'm sorry!" I finally managed to get some words out and waved the letter at him. Then we both ran outside - our parents were working in the yard, screaming at them. Scared the crap out of my Dad, he almost dropped a shovel on Mom's foot. Missed her by a couple inches.
Old 11-29-2001, 06:37 AM
GreekChat Member

I wouldnt mind being one of those odd ducks and pursue law school. However, I'm not sure how realistic it is, but its certinally one life goal of mine. One of my cousins goes to William&Mary Law School and has mentioned the sort of competition.
Old 11-29-2001, 11:14 AM
GreekChat Member

I just finished my apps and mailed them Monday. I'm applying to Tulane (1st choice), Loyola New Orleans and LSU (cheap but I don't wanna be here anymore - I hate this place)

Speaking of the "math" it takes to get in, what is/was everyone's GPA/LSAT range? I feel like my LSAT is really low at 160, because I barely studied for it. I figured "I can't do logic games so I"ll just worry about the rest of the test"
Old 11-29-2001, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by juniorgrrl
I just finished my apps and mailed them Monday. I'm applying to Tulane (1st choice), Loyola New Orleans and LSU (cheap but I don't wanna be here anymore - I hate this place)

Speaking of the "math" it takes to get in, what is/was everyone's GPA/LSAT range? I feel like my LSAT is really low at 160, because I barely studied for it. I figured "I can't do logic games so I"ll just worry about the rest of the test"
i had a 2.97/157, got rejected from 3 (Columbia, NYU, GTown) , waitlisted at 4 (GW, Cardozo, Albany, Rutgers Newark) and into 4. (NYLS, St.John's, Syracuse, Catholic) So, with a 160, and a gpa of let's say 3.0, you're probably an in at 80 percent of the schools in this country, and msot likely competitive at half of the top 30 or 40. You're probably an in at Tulane with a 160 if your gpa is good.
Old 11-29-2001, 11:44 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
Quote:
Originally posted by PKTSU01
I'm a lowly little 1L in nyc, at NYLS
My husband's cousin is 3L at NYLS and was just featured in the ABA magazine about 2nd career law students. Her name is Michelle Hall.

Use the Search, play nice, and don't make me come in there.
Old 11-29-2001, 02:07 PM
UMgirl

I want to go to law school, but I am taking time off. Cant go right away cuz the GPA sucked. Im not that far from U of Buffalo (all family cept mom is there and I live like an hour so I just might commute if i get in), so im applying there, Notre Dame, Syracuse, Albany, Wisconsin and maybe Michigan State
Old 11-29-2001, 02:08 PM

I'm considering going to law school. I'm a marketing major right now so I'd love to do corporate law. If I get in, I'd love to go to UF's law school. But, I still have another year before taking the LSAT.
BTW, what exactly is on the LSAT?
Old 11-29-2001, 02:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Dejajeva
I'm a political Science major-Pre Law...

I want to go to Notre Dame, but it's a long way off.
Old 11-29-2001, 08:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PKTSU01

i had a 2.97/157, got rejected from 3 (Columbia, NYU, GTown) , waitlisted at 4 (GW, Cardozo, Albany, Rutgers Newark) and into 4. (NYLS, St.John's, Syracuse, Catholic) So, with a 160, and a gpa of let's say 3.0, you're probably an in at 80 percent of the schools in this country, and msot likely competitive at half of the top 30 or 40. You're probably an in at Tulane with a 160 if your gpa is good.
I'm hoping that my GPA will be around a 3.8 by the time I graduate. Its a 3.79 right now. Its enough to get in, but at Tulane, I'll need some serious scholarships. Tuition there is 30K/year.

I was hoping to get a 165, but I just didn't put in all the work I needed to get that score. Oh well, my own fault