GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,130
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zmaisongoogleto
» Online Users: 1,436
0 members and 1,436 guests
No Members online

Old 08-25-2006, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Earp

I am amazed how few schools and Greeks do not worry about Spring recruitment? I have preached for years about Spring Recruitment.
Agree, agree, agree. Some of the best pledge classes/ guys we got were in Spring recruitment. We were able to identify them and get to know them during fall semester. They were able to get to know us and see what we were really about. We also tended to get guys who were "dead-set" against going Greek when they hit campus. They would get to know us and end up being strong members. This could also be an arguement for deferred rush for freshmen.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 08-25-2006, 05:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaneSig
Agree, agree, agree. Some of the best pledge classes/ guys we got were in Spring recruitment. We were able to identify them and get to know them during fall semester. They were able to get to know us and see what we were really about. We also tended to get guys who were "dead-set" against going Greek when they hit campus. They would get to know us and end up being strong members. This could also be an arguement for deferred rush for freshmen.

LaneSig, this is where We disagree. Defered rush is and can be a death bell ringing.

If many get the chance to do to many things, then what do they need Greeks for?

They need to at least get a taste of what We as Greeks are about.

Thanks for agreeing with Me on Spring Rush!

It just proves that when it is not done, it is because of laziness on the GLOs part!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 08-25-2006, 05:49 PM

No problem, Tom. We can disagree without name calling (unlike some other people on here) . But, I think that SMU and Vanderbilt would disagree that it is the death knell. Some schools that do deferred for freshmen have an informal rush in fall.

Now, back to formal vs. informal.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 08-25-2006, 05:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaneSig
No problem, Tom. We can disagree without name calling (unlike some other people on here) . But, I think that SMU and Vanderbilt would disagree that it is the death knell. Some schools that do deferred for freshmen have an informal rush in fall.

Now, back to formal vs. informal.

Hm, interesting concept!

That may actually be the wave of the Future?

Do it Ass Backwards to what We are used to!

The Key is, no matter which Semester is the most important, it is just not the only one!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 08-25-2006, 06:02 PM
GreekChat Member

While I understand the reasons behind it, I'm not keen on deferred rush for freshmen. Incoming freshmen that know they want to go Greek, either from summer rush events or through formal rush in the autumn, should be able to rush/join in the autumn. And those freshmen who might need that first semester to adjust to campus life and or figure out if Greek life is for them, they have the opportunity to rush and join in the spring.
Old 08-25-2006, 11:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srmom
My son is a senior and will be going through rush next year. I honestly have no idea how fraternity rush works. I was in a sorority that had deferred rush, my husband was in a frat that had fall rush, but it was a long time ago, so we are clueless. My son knows some guys that are in fraternities at the school he will be attending and they all say he should join their frat. It sounds like it is mostly like EE BO is saying, and he will be invited to parties at those houses this spring and summer, but will he ever get a chance to see or be seen by other fraternities? My older son went to UF and is involved in a sport so chose not to do the frat thing, but the summer before, they sent questionaires for him to fill out (he didn't because he didn't want to rush), is this general practice? At my sr son's high school, it seems like all the guys tend to join certain fraternities at this college, so are these the only parties he will go to? I don't necessarily have a problem with this because the guys we know are great, but I would like him to have options. Any info would be appreciated.
Welcome to the forum srmom.

It sounds like your son is in pretty good shape on the rush front. Anytime someone is getting recruited during high school by college friends and contacts, that is a good sign. So your son will surely have lots of choices.

Depends on the school and chapter, but very often you will see particular chapters recruit heavily out of particular cities and even certain high schools. So a fraternity can often be a continuation in some senses of high school. This can be good or bad depending on what your son wants.

It varies greatly- but typically if a rushee is a solid candidate with a particular chapter, he can expect to receive a bid after 2-3 events. 3 seems to be the usual standard.

It can sometimes happen at the 1st event- but frankly I find that suspicious. It looks desperate and your son should be wary about a fraternity that offers a bid the first time he attends a rush event. Even for guys who have strong connections to get into a house, it does not often happen at the first party. A chapter that bids a guy at the first party is a chapter whose judgment I would question because no matter a chapter's "rank" socially, they should be looking carefully at potential members and how they would benefit the brotherhood.

If nothing is forthcoming after 4 events, then it is time to reconsider whether things are working out. And it never hurts to ask a member privately at this point how things are going. Guys are going to be honest about this stuff and it could be nothing to worry about at all.

Once a person gets a bid during informal rush, it is okay to wait for a while to accept- but that can be a dangerous game. Sometimes pledge classes fill up, and sometimes a chapter can interpret a long delay in accepting a bid to mean a lack of interest. This is not usually the case, but my advice is that once your son finds a chapter he really likes, he should take the bid when it comes. There is not one particular house that will be the magical right place for your son, or anyone for that matter, to pledge- so no need to wait around for that to happen when you have a bid in hand from a house you really like.

On a final note, we all know the drinking age is 21. And I will not suggest anyone under 21 ever drink.

But summer rush events are parties. If your son must drink, the best advice I can give him is to NEVER get drunk or lose control of his senses.

Taking one sip is against the law, and that is a chance we all took at that age.

But even if you are rushing the hardest core party house on campus, the ONE thing that can get an otherwise solid rushee blacklisted in a hurry is being that rushee (and every year there are some) who thinks it is cool to get plastered and do stupid things. This is ESPECIALLY bad if ladies from sororities are present.

Rush for guys is a fairly laid back process. But not being able to handle your booze is one thing that can kill your chances during rush. Save that stuff for later.

It is better to not drink at all than drink too much. Even the party houses will be interested in a solid guy who does not drink. But drinking too much at rush events can only bring trouble.

Final advice- tell your son to talk to a few ladies who are either in sororities where he is going to college, or to fellow high school classmates who can get him in touch with sorority women.

Sorority members are the best resource he has to find out more about the various fraternities and what they are really like before he begins the rush process. Summer rush events often overlap, and so he might have to make choices about attending one party versus another. Having advice from sorority women will help him make better choices.

Best of luck to your son. This forum is here if you have any more questions or experiences to share.

Last edited by EE-BO; 08-25-2006 at 11:19 PM.
Old 08-28-2006, 12:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to AZ-AlphaXi
Here's the link to an article in the UofArizona student newspaper about Fraternity rush which is this week.

http://media.wildcat.arizona.edu/med...epublisher.com
Old 08-28-2006, 03:08 PM
GreekChat Member

EE-Bo and others, thanks for your advice. Over the weekend, my son ran into somebody who is in a frat at the college he will be attending. They exchanged cell numbers and the guy wants him to come to their winter formal and also to come and visit. Wow, I guess we better gear up for him attending some events (as a worried mom, this will be a stretch, but I'll let him go ) I also ran into a mom of a frat member there and she told me that my son would be invited to parties on campus and also to some out of town events . I will definitely pass on all of the information ya'll have given. I know that the frat that my husband and his brother were in at this particular campus is no longer there (woops, I'd love to know why that is!) so legacy will not be used. I guess you don't need recs like sorority recruitment. It looks like we are about to get a real education.

My campus had deferred rush - I liked it because it gave you a chance to see all the sororities and find out what they were like (not just reputations). There wasn't supposed to be any recruitment before rush, but you would meet girls in class and at parties, so it was nice to see familiar faces at the rush events. The sororities also got a chance to see you too, so it was imperative to keep your nose clean!!!!
Old 08-29-2006, 08:53 AM

Formal or informal, I found this on the University of West Georgia IFC website. I think it's a great list.

The Ten Commandments of Recruitment

These are ten commandments of Recruitment; ten tips that should make you very successful during this year's Recruitment. Learn them. Live them. And follow them!

1. Recruitment More than One Chapter
The best strategy for Recruitment is to explore all of your options. By doing that, you'll ensure that you make the best choice for yourself. Visit all the chapters early in the week, narrow down your choices to the three or four that you like best, then concentrate on them during the rest of Recruitment. Likewise, one of the easiest ways not to get a bid is to Recruitment only one chapter. Even if you know the chapter plans on giving you a bid, you may not be joining the best chapter for you. You may not know that until after it is too late. Any good fraternity should want you to check out other chapters. If their chapter is so strong, other chapters can only make them look better. And you'll have more peace of mind that you joined the right fraternity.

2. Don't stereotype the chapters
Don't be mislead by the size of a house, or where it is on campus. Chapters big and small, on campus or off, have a lot to offer you. It all depends what you are looking for. Larger fraternities may offer you more opportunities as a group, but a smaller chapter may give you more opportunity as an individual. You'll have more opportunity to be an officer in a smaller chapter, and your influence may be much greater there than in a larger or more established chapter. West Georgia has an excellent variety of small and large chapters. Choose one that fits your style. The chapter you join may not be #1 on campus, but with your leadership and influence, it can get there.

3. Ask Intelligent Questions
More importantly, look for intelligent answers. Questions are one of the best ways to show your interest in the chapter, and getting the answers ahead of time will save you any surprises down the road. Can I move into the house? How much are dues? What would be expected of me as a new member? What are your parties like? How long is the pledge program? Can I play intramurals? What is your chapter's view in hazing? The only bad questions are the ones you don't ask. Thinking about your questions ahead of time will keep the conversation rolling and show your interest. How can you be sure you're getting straight answers? Ask the same questions to different people in the house and compare what they say.

4. BE CONFIDENT
One of the most important tips during Recruitment is to act confident. No one is truly one hundred percent confident, but the more self-assured you can appear to be, the better.

5. Don't Try To Be Something You Are Not
Pick the chapter that fits your personality. Don't worry, there is a chapter out there for you.

6. Beware of Subtle Clues
Remember that Recruitment is a two-way street. You're looking for a chapter that fits your style, and they're looking for members that will fit theirs. If your not getting a warm reception, than don't waste what little time you have there.

7. Don't be Tied to Your Friends
Without a doubt, this is one of the most tragic mistakes you can make as a Recruitmentee. Joining a fraternity involves the development of total brotherhood, involvement with dozens of other men who share your common interests. Don't let the future be influenced by one individual. If he's such a close friend, he'll still be there if you decide to join another chapter. Every Greek has friends in other chapters. It will build your friendship base even stronger, giving you new friends and acquaintances.

8. Meet as Many Guys as You Can
Most chapters extend bids based on a vote of approval. In many chapters, at least 50-75% of the members need to give you the thumbs up in order for you to get a bid. Meet as many guys as you can, and don't hesitate to ask them to introduce you around. Be assertive and act confidently. Ask to meet the Recruitment chairmen and the officers. If they like you, they can have a lot of influence.

9. Be Available During Recruitment
Many chapters will send out flyers, invitations, and bids to you throughout Recruitment week. Be sure that the chapters you like have your phone number and room numbers, and they will be able to reach you. If you need to turn down an invitation to a chapter you really like, be sure to call their Recruitment chairman, thank him, and maybe make plans for a different event. Don't miss out on an event, or even a bid, because you could not be reached.

10. Use Careful Consideration in Accepting a Bid.
Remember that Recruitment is a limited time period. Your fraternity affiliation will last a lifetime. Keeping that in mind, don't make any rash decisions on accepting a bid. You don't need to feel pressured to accept a bid the moment it is offered. It won't be revoked while you check out other chapters. Don't always accept the first bid you receive. You'll probably get others, and they are all valid until the end of Recruitment, often times longer. Take your time and make the right choice!

Old 08-29-2006, 08:55 AM
GreekChat Member

A "Recruitmentee"?!? Now I've heard everything!
Old 08-29-2006, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSKKG
A "Recruitmentee"?!? Now I've heard everything!

Yeah, I thought that one was kind of odd, too. lol

Old 08-29-2006, 01:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Good list and nice to see in writing.

All of this is common sense and as such, I would hope that most of it is already (should be) know by the rushees. However, a few "commandments" (with text highlighted for emphasis) are often overlooked or simply not thought about during rush.

Quote:
6. Beware of Subtle Clues
Remember that Recruitment is a two-way street. You're looking for a chapter that fits your style, and they're looking for members that will fit theirs. If your not getting a warm reception, than don't waste what little time you have there.
This should go without saying, yet not everyone gets it.

Quote:
9. Be Available During Recruitment
Many chapters will send out flyers, invitations, and bids to you throughout Recruitment week. Be sure that the chapters you like have your phone number and room numbers, and they will be able to reach you. If you need to turn down an invitation to a chapter you really like, be sure to call their Recruitment chairman, thank him, and maybe make plans for a different event. Don't miss out on an event, or even a bid, because you could not be reached.
Not letting the rush chair - and the member who invited you - know that you are unable to attend an event where you have been personally invited (especially a party or event that is "invite only") shows disrespect to the chapter and to the member. Nothing can get a rushee dropped quicker than disrespect. Regardless if it is real or perceived.

Quote:
10. Use Careful Consideration in Accepting a Bid.
Remember that Recruitment is a limited time period. Your fraternity affiliation will last a lifetime. Keeping that in mind, don't make any rash decisions on accepting a bid. You don't need to feel pressured to accept a bid the moment it is offered. It won't be revoked while you check out other chapters. Don't always accept the first bid you receive. You'll probably get others, and they are all valid until the end of Recruitment, often times longer. Take your time and make the right choice!
Deadlines may not be the same on other campuses. Or even the same for chapters on the same campus. So be sure to *know* the date when you must accept a particular chapter's invitation (bid).
Old 08-29-2006, 01:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSteven
While I understand the reasons behind it, I'm not keen on deferred rush for freshmen. Incoming freshmen that know they want to go Greek, either from summer rush events or through formal rush in the autumn, should be able to rush/join in the autumn. And those freshmen who might need that first semester to adjust to campus life and or figure out if Greek life is for them, they have the opportunity to rush and join in the spring.

I agree 100%

Deferred rush was designed to keep the frats getting smaller and smaller and smaller until one day gone. Most chapters are better off as sub-rosa orgs anyway. The administration is stupid.
Old 08-29-2006, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RU OX Alum
I agree 100%

Deferred rush was designed to keep the frats getting smaller and smaller and smaller until one day gone. Most chapters are better off as sub-rosa orgs anyway. The administration is stupid.

Sorry, but I have to disagree and think that SMU and Vanderbilt would also disagree. I don't see their chapters getting smaller and smaller until disappearing.

I go back and forth on deferred rush. For some guys, it's good for them to get used to college and the new demands of college classes and being on their own. We've all seen great pledges who didn't get intiated because they didn't make grades because they weren't ready for the demands of college life.

Old 08-29-2006, 02:36 PM
GreekChat Member

This thread doesn't make alot of sense seeing as the at least decent chapters already have their pledge classes figured out before high school is done with...

However, spring rush is usually the worst people we end up taking because these guys didn't know they wanted to go through fall. If you're not fraternity bound at the get-go, you're probably worthless.