GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,316
2 members and 2,314 guests
Kevin, LaneSig

Old 11-04-2002, 08:25 PM
GreekChat Member

A second chance?

If you're in a GLO and you find out that a rushee (that you liked) previously belonged to another GLO (not initiated), you're an employer and findsout that your applicant (again, that you liked) has been fired from a previous job or has been employed at several different places, or you find out that your fiance has been divorced previously, would give that person a second chance? Do you believe in second chances in general?

GLO: I would investigate thoroughly, if I found out that person left for a legitimate reason, I would have no problem at all extending that person bid.

Employer: Again I would investigate deeply, if that person was terminated from an entirely different type of job and the reason was minor I MAY employ that person, however if that person was terminated from the same type of job as this one and/or the reason was major, I would kick that person to the curb.

Fiance: I would more than likely break the engagement.

^^^

Can't you tell I'm a procrastinator?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-04-2002, 08:31 PM
GreekChat Member

GLO: Would be okay with it, unless it was something really sketch.

Employer: Would depend... definitely would check it out and see what kind of job and circumstances.

Fiance: He really should have said something before the engagement... I would be very upset and would possibly call things off. Again, it depends... you can't really say what you would do because you don't know until you have to do it!
Old 11-04-2002, 08:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Involving the fiancee-- are you asking if you found out w/o him telling you? Then YES I would break off the engagement. I don't want to marry anyone that has ever been married bc I want to start a fresh life with someone. Now if I'm older and I meet someone and we're both divorced it's different, but I still would want to know from him.
I don't care if I am employ someone that has been fired. A lot of people have and think about how many jobs people had in high school that they hated.
I'd be alittle concerned about the rushee, but I'd give her a chance.
Old 11-05-2002, 02:05 AM
GreekChat Member

GLO: i de-pledged a house before i went phi psi, so it would not matter to me. but i would ask the person why they left.

Employer: I would call the previous employer and try to see what they had to say. i would give the person a chance before i write them off.

Fiance: if they love me, and i love them, it does not matter.
Old 11-05-2002, 02:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to amycat412
GLO and employer-- would depend on the reasons, and depending on the reasons, i'd decide accordingnly.

fiancee-- hasta la vista-- you waited until we were engaged to disclose a prior marriiage??? What else would I not know iif they hadn't told me that, you know?? I was marriied for about 3 minutes and I told mr. amycat about it on out FIRST date. Honesty is important to me, and if you can't disclose your past to me, then I can't really know who you truly are, so buh-bye.
Old 11-05-2002, 09:05 AM

GLO: If depledging were her choice, I'd try to find out why - maybe she was just uncomfortable with her original choice. If the chapter forced her to depledge (presumably for doing something sketchy) then I'd be more hesitant.

Employer: A lot of people move around a lot these days, and contract work is very common in my field, so I wouldn't hold it against a candidate, but I would expect to see references from at least a few different places. If someone were laid off due to an economic downturn, I would not hold it against them. If someone were fired for cause, I'd want to know the cause, and I'd consider how relevant it is to the job in question - e.g. if they were fired for embezzling and I were interviewing them for a job where they'd be handling money, I wouldn't hire them, but they might be ok in, say, a data entry job.

Fiance: If he told me before we got engaged, that he'd been married before, I'd be ok with it. Doesn't mean he has to tell me on the first date ("Hey, aephi alum, wanna go grab some coffee? By the way, I used to be married." ) But once the relationship started getting serious, I would expect him to be honest with me. If we were already engaged and I found out from someone else, he would be out the door.
Old 11-05-2002, 09:13 AM
Super Moderator

Fraternity: That's why people pledge... They're probationaries... Not just for the chapter but themselves as well. If they think they're a better fit with Sigma Nu then they very well may be. I could give a crap what happened at the other house. People can learn from mistakes. Our candidate program is VERY different from the others I know on campus.. well at least the ones I know. Let's just say they usually lose 50%+ of their pledge class and leave it at that.

Employer: People get fired for all kinds of stupid reasons. I'd be interested in their qualifications for what they're applying for more than previous work history. If this is a pattern though then that's something different. When you're checking references most employers won't give circumstances of a termination, they can only say if they'd rehire the person (well that's what I've been told anyhow).

Marriage: I'll jump off that bridge when I come to it... Way too many ifs in that scenario
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma