GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,623
2 members and 1,621 guests
*winter*, speedsters

Old 01-03-2013, 09:12 AM
GreekChat Member

I just recently found out that 2 of my alumnae chapter sisters work at the Pi Kappa Phi fraternity HQ. Their website has a staff directory that includes brief bios, and while it appears the majority of employees are Pi Kappa Phi brothers, they do have a few non-Pi Kapps (and non-Greek, as well) in their ranks.

As long as the position doesn’t involve ritual, then all qualified applicants should be considered. It’s probably good for an organization to bring in fresh perspective; someone more objective in terms of policies and procedures because they don’t have the same emotional involvement and less likely to say “but that’s how we’ve always done it, and it worked fine for my chapter in 1986.”
Old 01-03-2013, 09:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyapbp View Post
When it comes down to it, and you get past all the externals - colors, badges, symbols, flowers, unique traditions, etc., we have a common set of values.
Again, though, this can vary from GLO to GLO. Being in a fraternity that has an emphasis that differs from that of most other fraternities (and a value system, if you will, that reflects that emphasis), I think it would be much harder for a non-member to "get" us in the way that those working in leadership positions in our national office should. And perhaps due in part to that, I think it probably matters to many of our members that those in "director-type" positions on our national staff (which is small) are brothers.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Our past Membership Growth Coordinator (an ASA) first moved to AChiO's executive office, and then to Delta Sigma Phi, which is where she is now. With a large amount of HQs in the same area, it's not a surprise that people move around like that.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteDaisy128 View Post
Somewhat related though, I am a little sad that all of the NPC organizations have sold out to companies like GIN. They definitely have provided useful services, etc. (and probably in the most const effective way) but I do miss the uniqueness of each group's web site, etc. Now every group has a similar brand, etc. I thought it was so neat when I joined DG that a DG developed and maintained our international web site - it just reinforced the idea that I had some super talented sisters in all kinds of career fields. Just a little bittersweet.
Me, too. While we have not mandated use of GIN, there are a few of our chapters whose Panhellenics have mandated use of the GIN sites. A lot of our chapters ARE almost exlclusively using FB pages, though (easy to update, add photos, etc.) and I DO miss seeing more websites.

Lakers Nation.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:26 PM

Our foundation director was an AXO. Since this is pretty much completely a managing $$ position and has zero to do with membership or ritual I don't think anyone cared.

And I loathe, detest, despise GIN and website templates in general. I'd rather there be no website at all for a chapter than one of these cookie cutters.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
Yes, the former Executive Director is a Theta. We have had other groups on staff at times. We have a man working at IHQ also, in finance. These are primarily business operations positions. We have had several unaffiliated women working at our IHQ and some of those have become AIs, which is always so cool

As carnation said, I think the longer you're involved, the more you realize that the groups are more alike than not.
.....Yes, a Theta. And before that, an ADPi.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to WhiteDaisy128
[QUOTE=Titchou;2196130]
Quote:
I know at DG, we have a Phi Mu (working in communications & PR) and a Delta Zeta (heading up our house corporation) and I've had a lovely experience working with both of them. It just opened my eyes to how similar we all really are.

QUOTE]

I'm not aware of a DZ in FHC. The two Directors are definitely DGs, also. Not sure who what you mean by "heading up our house corporation."
My bad, after looking at the titles in her e-mails, she's not heading it up, but is on the administrative team for FHC. I edited my original post. I swear life with a 2 & 3 year old has cost me many-a-brain cell.

Last edited by WhiteDaisy128; 01-03-2013 at 12:49 PM.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:12 PM
GreekChat Member

[QUOTE=WhiteDaisy128;2196163]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post

My bad, after looking at the titles in her e-mails, she's not heading it up, but is on the administrative team for FHC. I edited my original post. I swear life with a 2 & 3 year old has cost me many-a-brain cell.
OK, that I will agree to..she is a DZ but is not in any leadership capacity in FHC.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
I think it's weird...

I wouldn't ever want a non-member serving in top or middle management positions. Just my opinion, mind you, but that's the way I feel. Support staff -- sure -- other Greeks and non-Greeks are welcome.

Out of 300,000 alumnae, if Chi Omega can't find a qualified, interested member to serve in top positions, well, something is wrong.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by NutBrnHair View Post
I wouldn't ever want a non-member serving in top or middle management positions. Just my opinion, mind you, but that's the way I feel. Support staff -- sure -- other Greeks and non-Greeks are welcome.

Out of 300,000 alumnae, if Chi Omega can't find a qualified, interested member to serve in top positions, well, something is wrong.
I would think that a members-only policy would really work against the sharing of best practices across organizations.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
I would think that a members-only policy would really work against the sharing of best practices across organizations.
I think you can get that from other professional organizations which the staff members belong... NPC, NIC, AFA, NASPA. Plus, hiring staff who have held positions in other companies.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutBrnHair View Post

So I take it you don't dig the GIN system either?
Old 01-04-2013, 12:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I know at DG, we have a Phi Mu (working in communications & PR) and a Delta Zeta (on the house corporation team) and I've had a lovely experience working with both of them. It just opened my eyes to how similar we all really are.

Somewhat related though, I am a little sad that all of the NPC organizations have sold out to companies like GIN. They definitely have provided useful services, etc. (and probably in the most const effective way) but I do miss the uniqueness of each group's web site, etc. Now every group has a similar brand, etc. I thought it was so neat when I joined DG that a DG developed and maintained our international web site - it just reinforced the idea that I had some super talented sisters in all kinds of career fields. Just a little bittersweet.
If it makes you feel better, the GIN System was founded (created) by a Phi Mu, Zeta Tau Alpha, and I think a Sigma Alpha Epsilon. I'm pretty sure they were all graduates of University of Florida--so, the site comes from actual Greeks.

I know our former National President works for Tau Kappa Epsilon. She seems to love it as they are all very respectful to her. I'm proud of her for crossing over into "fraternity land" and serving as a great resource for many Greeks.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:54 AM
GreekChat Member

You don't have to use the GIN System set up or you can just link to it from your home page. Granted, it's easier for most people to use the template but not all chapter utilize it totally. Individual groups may have mandated but Delta Gamma has not (sorry, WhiteDaisy)- though it is free to alums and is a really great tool for collegians - esp if you are an adviser for a chapter! Lordy...it's great to know when something has been cancelled or changed before you get there. The text messaging option is great.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by als463 View Post
If it makes you feel better, the GIN System was founded (created) by a Phi Mu, Zeta Tau Alpha, and I think a Sigma Alpha Epsilon. I'm pretty sure they were all graduates of University of Florida--so, the site comes from actual Greeks.
I don't think it's so much that as the fact that it makes everything look cookie cutter and so de-emphasizes the individuality of the chapters. I mean our Phi Delt chapter has a GIN website and I honestly 1) can't tell it from the national website, which if I wanted to see that, I would go there 2) have a very very very hard time finding the local stuff, which is what most alums/collegians go to chapter websites for. It's full of pictures and stories from other chapters that I frankly could care less about. I know that some groups put more work into it than others, but I think it just enables laziness.