GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > News & Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,431
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, zsamuljunior205
» Online Users: 2,352
0 members and 2,352 guests
No Members online

Old 04-16-2007, 02:47 PM
GreekChat Member

At least 32 dead in Va. Tech shooting rampage

At least 31 dead in Va. Tech shooting
Gunman shot people in a dorm, second building; suspect among dead
BREAKING NEWS
NBC, MSNBC and news services
Updated: 2:41 p.m. ET April 16, 2007

BLACKSBURG, Va. - A gunman opened fire in a dorm and classroom at a college in Virginia on Monday, killing at least 30 people in the deadliest campus shooting in U.S. history. The gunman also was killed, and more than a dozen other people were injured.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18134671/

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,266310,00.html

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/04/16/vte...ing/index.html

http://www.reuters.com/article/topNe...6?feedType=RSS

This is now the deadliest single shooting in U.S. history.

Good thoughts and wishes to all.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-16-2007, 02:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to squirrely girl
i struggle to understand or explain this. i hurt. who knows how these 31 lives could have impacted the world for better...
A GD
Old 04-16-2007, 02:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeykiss1974 View Post
Basically he was an Asian guy (not sure if he was a foreign national or just Asian) who was essentially going through a bad breakup which was causing bad grades. I missed the part of the report that explained where they got this information from though.
There's a picture on AP that shows a police holding down an asian student. Not too sure if he was the gunman's friend (since the gunman has been shot...)

this is totally terrifying...
Old 04-16-2007, 02:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Everyone in my entire neighborhood is just numb. We send 30-50 kids each year to Tech from our local hs. My D (home on Spring Break) is upstairs in tears as she tries to get in touch with her friends in Blacksburg.
Old 04-16-2007, 02:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Apparently he went to the ex's dorm room and she wasn't there so he went to Norris hall when he knew she'd be in class. I guess he didn't see her and just went down into each classroom shooting.

We all have to remember that this is via word of mouth and the accuracy is still in question.
Old 04-16-2007, 03:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy

I am soooo saddened to hear about this. So many people were shot down in the primes of their lives. So sad.
Old 04-16-2007, 03:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutie_cat_4ever View Post
There's a picture on AP that shows a police holding down an asian student. Not too sure if he was the gunman's friend (since the gunman has been shot...)

this is totally terrifying...
CNN was interviewing campus newspaper editor and he said that that photo was of one of his reporters. He may have gotten "too close". Either way he was released.

Also being reported that officers are taking some people "down" in order to ask questions rather than ask first. Given that situation, that is understandable.
Old 04-16-2007, 03:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to hazelle
My nephew attends Va Tech and we have not been able to confirm his or his girlfriend's safety..and if the cell towers are down...can you imagine all the parents who are definitely freaking out...trying to reach and know their children are safe!!

the death toll is now at 33..including the shooter...hopefully the ONLY shooter...how can that be?? If that distance is that far between the two spots...could it be only one shooter?

I hate this time of year...it always seems the craziness emerges..and it used to be just "protesting with signs..."

I pray for the entire Tech campus and those families whose children were killed or wounded...and pray that no copy cat nuts do this ...
Old 04-16-2007, 03:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAgirl18 View Post
Apparently he went to the ex's dorm room and she wasn't there so he went to Norris hall when he knew she'd be in class. I guess he didn't see her and just went down into each classroom shooting.

We all have to remember that this is via word of mouth and the accuracy is still in question.
Great reminder VAgirl18. That's why I hated to repeat what the news stated since this is still a developing story (and the shooter is dead so we don't really know what was going through his head).

This story has totally distracted me at work. I just imagine sending my child off to college for an education and having this happen to him/her. How on earth does this community recover from this?
Old 04-16-2007, 03:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PM_Mama00 Send a message via Yahoo to PM_Mama00
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecupidelta View Post
I was just going to post this.... 31 now dead. They are saying that he chained the doors shut in the campus building so they couldn't escape. So horrid......
Hmmm.... did he watch Higher Learning and get ideas?

You hope that someone can make some sense of this but I don't think there's any way that they can. You never know who you are dealing with. I'd like to know about this guy's background.

KLTC
Old 04-16-2007, 03:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeykiss1974 View Post
Great reminder VAgirl18. That's why I hated to repeat what the news stated since this is still a developing story (and the shooter is dead so we don't really know what was going through his head).

This story has totally distracted me at work. I just imagine sending my child off to college for an education and having this happen to him/her. How on earth does this community recover from this?
This is sort of off topic, but I have a friend, who is an american, moved to Japan and totally reluctant to move back to the states. Part of the reason is that Japan bans guns so she feels a whole lot safer to stay on the streets.

Nowadays it's just too easy to get a firearm license if you don't have a background, which is terrifying...though I'm not going to debating whether the ban guns or not since we will need to open another thread for this.
Old 04-16-2007, 03:24 PM
Unregistered-

mppVT08!

mppVT08...

Please let us know that you and our sisters are safe!

Prayers for all those affected by this tragedy.
Old 04-16-2007, 03:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to flirt5721
According to this post http://greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=86412 AGD sisters are all fine.

and http://greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=86404 ZTA sisters are fine

"The Pen is Mightier Than the Sword"
Land of Entrapment has me again
Old 04-16-2007, 03:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutie_cat_4ever View Post
This is sort of off topic, but I have a friend, who is an american, moved to Japan and totally reluctant to move back to the states. Part of the reason is that Japan bans guns so she feels a whole lot safer to stay on the streets.

Nowadays it's just too easy to get a firearm license if you don't have a background, which is terrifying...though I'm not going to debating whether the ban guns or not since we will need to open another thread for this.
Yeah can we at least wait a day or two before we begin blaming something other than the killer for this tragedy...
Old 04-16-2007, 03:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flirt5721 View Post
According to this post http://greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=86412 AGD sisters are all fine.

and http://greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=86404 ZTA sisters are fine
Hopefully, we'll get similar reports from all groups at Tech. One of my best friends in grad school was a Chi O from VT. My thoughts and prayers to all Hokies and their families during this tragedy.