GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,425
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, zenjaminusasdz5
» Online Users: 2,539
1 members and 2,538 guests
fmanning

Old 02-04-2011, 02:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Yeah, I know. Thanks a lot for all of the help. I have a quick question for you guys. I am currently waiting for bid decisions from 3 fraternities. They will be called:

1) Alpha
2) Bravo
3) Charlie

Alpha texted me today that I have received a bid with them and to pick up the bid card tomorrow during bid day. Bravo told me I will have to wait till tomorrow to know the results of their decision on whether I got a bid from them or not. Charlie told me I got a bid, and that for some reason that they didnt tell me about, that I would have to make my decision today, because they are going to have their own bid day tonight and aren't able to move it till tomorrow. I'm still undecided as to what to do, because IFC has told us that bid day is from 12 to 3 pm tomorrow, and its weird that Charlie being a fraternity of IFC, is having their own bid day thing today.

I like Charlie, but I want to wait on Bravo's decision to see if I got a bid card from them or not, which I will have to wait till tomorrow to find out. It seems a little weird that only Charlie is making me make my decision today, while the other 2 are letting me decide on bid day tomorrow. If I pick Charlie today, I automatically reject Alpha and Bravo, and I would really like to wait till tomorrow to decide to make my final and very important decision for which fraternity I will spend the rest of my life with. Has anyone else had issue like this before or can associate with my dilemna? What do you guys and ladies think? Thanks.

Last edited by Revivia; 02-04-2011 at 02:42 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-04-2011, 02:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Just to be clear, only one fraternity is letting you decide on tomorrow. (You don't know if Bravo has chosen you)

One fraternity has told you that you made it and that you're allowed to wait to decide.

The other has told you that you made it and you need to decide NOW.

If I were you, I would decide if the one who is making you decide NOW (Charlie) is your favorite one. If it is, choose them.

If Alpha is your favorite, then wait until tomorrow, choose them, and decline Charlie.

If Bravo is your favorite but you're willing to go Alpha, then decline Charlie, wait for Bravo's response, then choose Bravo if they choose you, or choose Alpha if Bravo doesn't.

That's what I would do if I were you, or how I'd advise my son if I had one.

If you don't know which of the three you actually prefer, then I don't know what to tell you.
Old 02-04-2011, 02:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Take Senusret's advice. That seems like the most logical way to decide to me, too.

"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five."
Groucho Marx
Old 02-04-2011, 02:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks a lot Senusret. That made my decision a whole letter easier. I am going with the last option, because Bravo is my favorite one, and I am definately willing to go Alpha if Bravo doesn't accept me, because both of them are a great group of guys. I guess I'm going to have to decline Charlie. The guys in Charlie are good guys, but I only met them during formal rush and one house night. I didn't really get a chance to bond with them, because of time constraints.

Charlie is very professional and the members are known as gentlemen on campus, have good morals, standards, ethics, codes, etc, but once again I didnt really get time to bond with them. Both Alpha and Bravo on the other hand I have spent a lot of time with and really know the guys in there. I feel bad having to decline Charlie : (

Last edited by Revivia; 02-05-2011 at 03:53 PM.
Old 02-04-2011, 03:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revivia View Post
Thanks a lot Senusret. That made my decision a whole letter easier. I am going with the last option, because Bravo is my favorite one, and I am definately willing to go Alpha if Bravo doesn't accept me, because both of them are a great group of guys. I guess I'm going to have to decline Charlie. The guys in Charlie are good guys, but I only met them during formal rush and one house night. I didn't really get a chance to bond with them, because of time constraints. Charlie is very professional and known as gentlemen on campus, have good morals, standards, ethics, codes, etc, but once again I didnt really get time to bond with them. Both Alpha and Bravo on the other hand I have spend a lot of time with and really know the guys in there. I feel bad having to decline Charlie : (
Don't. It's best to go where you feel most comfortable, and they know that. If you're a better fit at either Alpha or Bravo, that's where you need to go.

"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five."
Groucho Marx
Old 02-04-2011, 03:14 PM
GreekChat Member

To be honest, I feel the most comfortable and at home with Alpha and Bravo and I feel like part of a family with both of them. Although Bravo is my first choice, I would love to be a part of Alpha if Bravo didn't give me a bid. I consider them my friends right now, even though I am not associated with either of the fraternities at the moment.
Old 02-04-2011, 03:15 PM
GreekChat Member

You seem to have a level head and a good attitude!

In addition to what Alumiyum said, having a fraternity tell me I had to accept a bid before I was able to look over all of my options would seem shiesty to me, and I would guess that it could hurt them in the end.
Old 02-04-2011, 03:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks a lot Gusteau. I asked him in a nice way to explain his reasoning as to why they are making me decide today, instead of waiting for the actual "bid day" tomorrow. He politely told me that since the actual bid day was planned for today, they have all of their party/event things with the new incoming members planned for today, and they can't move it tomorrow.
Old 02-04-2011, 05:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
I'm going to be honest, here...it sounds like Bravo is not going to give you a bid. If you didn't get into bravo, and it was between Alpha and Charlie, which would you choose?
Old 02-04-2011, 05:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusteau View Post
You seem to have a level head and a good attitude!

In addition to what Alumiyum said, having a fraternity tell me I had to accept a bid before I was able to look over all of my options would seem shiesty to me, and I would guess that it could hurt them in the end.
Co-sign. One group on my campus did this one year, saying if you don't accept the bid today you won't get one from us. This led to some guys thinking they wouldn't get bids from other groups and accepting because they wanted to go Greek. Quite a few of the guys ended up dropping or going inactive shortly after initiation.
Old 02-04-2011, 08:56 PM
GreekChat Member

What do you mean by co-signing? If Bravo doesn't accept me, then I am definately going Alpha for sure. I already made up my mind that I am not going Charlie. I just came back from spending time at one of the Charlie brother's house, and I felt somewhat comfortable, but felt that I had to make an effort in order to engage some of the brothers. Btw, why don't you think Bravo isn't going to accept me? I'm just curious.

Last edited by Revivia; 02-04-2011 at 08:58 PM.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
What do you mean by co-signing? If Bravo doesn't accept me, then I am definately going Alpha for sure. I already made up my mind that I am not going Charlie. I just came back from spending time at one of the Charlie brother's house, and I felt somewhat comfortable, but felt that I had to make an effort in order to engage some of the brothers. Btw, why don't you think Bravo isn't going to accept me? I'm just curious.
Well, I obviously don't know the whole situation, because now that I re-read, it sounds like Bravo hasn't handed out bids at all. I first read it like other people had their bids from Bravo already.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:05 PM
GreekChat Member

No, haha. Bravo hasn't told anyone about their bid situation as far as I am aware. Everyone wanting to go Bravo, has to wait till tomorrow to find out.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:09 PM
GreekChat Member

I just texted Charlie my decision to decline the bid, so that is final, and now I just have to wait till tomorrow. I'll announce whether I pick Alpha or Bravo, and the real fraternity name of the particular one I choose. Thanks for the help so far everyone. : )
Old 02-05-2011, 07:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I just texted Charlie my decision to decline the bid, so that is final, and now I just have to wait till tomorrow. I'll announce whether I pick Alpha or Bravo, and the real fraternity name of the particular one I choose. Thanks for the help so far everyone. : )
Good luck.

I think this was my favorite Rush thread (girls and guys) of this school year. Short and to the point, as well as honest and thought-out, without being overly dramatic.

I'm not going to go to the extent of saying either Alpha or Bravo is lucky to have you, because I don't actually know you and you could still be a goober (), but have a great pledge period whoever gets you!

-AF