GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,457
Threads: 115,512
Welcome to our newest member, ER_Pike

Old 12-07-2010, 03:38 PM
GreekChat Member

I have spoken with them. I had a conversation with an SAE pledge and an ATO brother who are friends of mine last night. I feel like there is a lot of natural bias in those conversations though. I will do research on this site as you suggest. I guess I will conclude. Being a Political Science major, I can sniff political speak a mile away. I feel like I am still receiving a lot of political answers through every informational outlet I seek. I came here looking for general thoughts and expressions based on experiences, but I still received quite a mix of political answers. Opinions are reserved for the honest thinkers, not those who are political. Though I study politics, I hate it. It's an absolutely dishonest game and "game" is a great title to it. I do appreciate all of those who did help with my concerns though most were smart-asses to say the least. I can deal with smart-asses though because I know how to be one myself if necessary. Regardless, thanks and I will hopefully apply all I've learned thus far soon.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-07-2010, 03:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
Actually, if you read what he said, he was using apart of intentionally and with an understanding of what it meant: Maybe not the clearest way to make the point, but this doesn't seem to be the frequently-seen case of someone who doesn't know the difference between apart from and a part of.
It's still incorrect. Apart from implies that you don't want to be part of the whole. If one is to learn from, socialize with, gain benefit from, one still needs to be a part of the whole. He may pretend he knows the difference, but he does not.

Also, OP, the only reason I'm correcting your grammar is because A. You've already recieved the answer we could give and B. You should have known the answer already because you read any of the many threads on the topic.
Old 12-07-2010, 03:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcwest View Post
I have spoken with them. I had a conversation with an SAE pledge and an ATO brother who are friends of mine last night. I feel like there is a lot of natural bias in those conversations though. I will do research on this site as you suggest. I guess I will conclude. Being a Political Science major, I can sniff political speak a mile away. I feel like I am still receiving a lot of political answers through every informational outlet I seek. I came here looking for general thoughts and expressions based on experiences, but I still received quite a mix of political answers. Opinions are reserved for the honest thinkers, not those who are political. Though I study politics, I hate it. It's an absolutely dishonest game and "game" is a great title to it. I do appreciate all of those who did help with my concerns though most were smart-asses to say the least. I can deal with smart-asses though because I know how to be one myself if necessary. Regardless, thanks and I will hopefully apply all I've learned thus far soon.
Oh, so basically, you're looking for drama? I think the current season of America's Next Top Model is still running...
Old 12-07-2010, 03:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agzg View Post
It's still incorrect. Apart from implies that you don't want to be part of the whole. If one is to learn from, socialize with, gain benefit from, one still needs to be a part of the whole. He may pretend he knows the difference, but he does not.
I didn't say it was a correct usage. I said, relying on what he said, it was an intentional usage -- an attempt at a clever pun, if you will, that really wasn't all that clever and didn't work. Maybe with some backtracking thrown in.

Look, I can correct a newbie's grammar with the best of them, and have done so when I though the occasion called for it. But sometimes, I just don't think the occasion calls for it.

Quote:
I know meeting the brothers will be the ultimate determinant, but I would still like information on the Greek system itself and why it can be so beneficial of a lifestyle. I have several questions, so here we go. What advantages academically does a Fraternity provide? What advantages would my fraternal background have when entering my career? Basically, I understand the "brotherhood" aspect of a fraternity by this point. I realize that is most important, but there are external benefits as well. I want to know more about those too. I want to be sold the system completely.
None of these questions are what you asked in your first post. In that post, you said:
Quote:
I came to GreekChat hoping that I could get some information on what Fraternities may be best for me based on my background, personality, and interests.

. . . My concerns include comfort and image. I want to be around a group of guys who I can identify with as far as background, upbringing, values, and interests. I also would like to be apart of a fraternity that has a respectable image, one that I would be proud to associate myself with.

. . . I would appreciate any help I can get even if it's just a little bit. Essentially, I'm a genuine guy, a genuine southerner, and just want to be surrounded by others of the same qualities.
We answered the question you asked the best we could. Don't complain that we didn't answer questions you didn't ask.

As for the questions you're asking now, try here. And skim the threads on GC.
Old 12-07-2010, 03:55 PM
GreekChat Member

OT. but why would you study something you hate? And I hate to break it to you, politics are going to happen with any group of people.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:05 PM
GreekChat Member

rcwest,

I will bite on this one. You know usually, I think that newcomers to GLO and Greek life, particularly in-coming Freshman don't know any better than to ask questions about reputations. But, you are not a Freshman.

If what you say is true;
You are a Sophomore.
You are an RA.
You are a Political Science major.
You will be rushing.
You said how dress.
You said where you are from.

Yah, TWITHEAD, you just outted yourself. Shouldn't be that hard to figure out who you are, even at a big school like Florida.

You want to know the benefits of being a fraternity? Ask the guys! Search the Internet. It is not all about getting laid and drinking beer. My Dad is still friends with his old fraternity house roommies. There are countless stories. Just ask around! My dad met my mom at a fraternity party and well...here I am!

Oh and as for they types of people you like to associate with; here is a thing, you might just like those guys who are not like you. You might have more in common than you think and you might learn a thing or two. I loved it that my organization had people from all over. I never would have thought that my Little would be from across the country! Appreciate the differences.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I am doing extra or all I can do outside of speaking with the brothers.
LOL. This just strikes me as really funny. Why the hell wouldn't you be speaking with the brothers?

Old 12-07-2010, 05:15 PM
GreekChat Member

^Probably because of this:

Quote:
I have spoken with them. I had a conversation with an SAE pledge and an ATO brother who are friends of mine last night. I feel like there is a lot of natural bias in those conversations though.
OP, maybe instead of extra research, you should have your friends introduce you to brothers you don't already know. New acquaintances probably don't have those natural biases, unless the people you both know have said a lot to them about your character on either end of the spectrum.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:05 PM

Ok, so you're a sophomore NOW? When were you planning on rushing/pledging? Next semester? That might not be an option as I don't think all fraternities take springtime pledge classes at a large school like that.

If you're waiting till next year when your RA position is over, you're going to be a junior, and that might be another can of worms if most of the guys pledging will be freshmen.

And there's no way we could answer some of your questions unless we PERSONALLY knew you and every guy in the fraternities you mentioned. No one is being "political" or trying to get around answering you. We're also not going to break our backs trying to "sell you" on how awesome Greek life is and how everyone should do it. That's not what this website is for, and there are probably people out there who SHOULDN'T be Greek.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Wow...

So...I'm gonna' go out on a limb and say that as a Sophmore, in your fall semester, (meaning you really only completed 2 semesters of Political Science classes or possibly just general education requirements) you sitting here talking about how you "study" politics and you know SO MUCH about how politics works is a bunch of....well...I'll let you figure out what I think.

I hate when someone who has had maybe two semesters of general education courses in say "philosophy" automatically thinks that makes them a Friedrich Nietzche or someone who has two semesters of courses in "education" begins to talk about how they are a Dewian in practice/ theory/ thought. Please stop acting like you are the next Bill Clinton because you've taken a couple of political science courses and now you are ABOVE the "politics" the fraternities are using to get you to join. Really? I mean, for real?

End of rant....

If you are a sophmore, OP, then you should know better than to go on a public forum and give out so much information about yourself and the school you attend. What is with people today? Discretion is your friend.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Gators
Old 12-07-2010, 06:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetaj View Post
Gators
Ahhhhh...Thank you. That reminded me...I put my excitement in the football thread! Joe Paterno, don't fail me! Let's go Nittany Lions!
Old 12-07-2010, 08:50 PM
GreekChat Member

I am actually three semesters away from graduation because I came into college with 44 credits. Now you probably ask, why get involved in a Fraternity? I will likely do an overlap of my Masters (a program here at UF) or dual-degree, keeping me in college for the normal period of time. I took a load of Poli Sci courses my first three semesters and have completed all of the core courses. I came into college with all Gen-Ed out of the way. I love studying Politics and I feel I can say "study" in a legitimate manner. It doesn't mean I like to engage in it. There's a great difference. Poor interpretation and assumption have been great issues on this thread thus far and I will admit that this includes myself.

I've learned all I need to learn from this forum.

Also, Go Gators!
Old 12-07-2010, 10:54 PM
GreekChat Member

no one cares.. RTR
Old 12-08-2010, 08:38 AM

Quote:
I am actually three semesters away from graduation because I came into college with 44 credits. Now you probably ask, why get involved in a Fraternity? I will likely do an overlap of my Masters (a program here at UF) or dual-degree, keeping me in college for the normal period of time. I took a load of Poli Sci courses my first three semesters and have completed all of the core courses. I came into college with all Gen-Ed out of the way. I love studying Politics and I feel I can say "study" in a legitimate manner. It doesn't mean I like to engage in it. There's a great difference. Poor interpretation and assumption have been great issues on this thread thus far and I will admit that this includes myself.

I've learned all I need to learn from this forum.

Also, Go Gators!
Correct me if I'm wrong. You are 3 semesters away from graduation, but will continue on at UF as a grad student.

Just to let you know, the majority of fraternities do not allow grad students to participate in undergraduate chapters. You will quickly be an alumni of the fraternities you are talking about. Of course, any member of a Greek Life Organization is going to be an alumni for many more years than they are an active chapter member, but that is something else you need to think about.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)