GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,130
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zmaisongoogleto
» Online Users: 1,124
1 members and 1,123 guests
No Members online

Old 12-04-2010, 11:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamseeker View Post
wrong.

i do however, do NOT need a bra that is padded. if i am buying a bra from lane freaking bryant, you'd think that would be the general assumption.
Never assume... for years, I didn't buy padded because I thought, well, I have plenty of that to start with.

And I don't need the padding to look bigger, but it does offer a more stable "side wall" than one that isn't padded, and that keeps me looking more front and centered, if you will. Plus, no unsightly headlights.

I will tell you though, that I strayed and went to Soma - never again! She sold me a size that almost works because they had them in stock, whereas the truly better size is one they only carry in a few styles.

Back to Cacique it is.

Old 12-06-2010, 01:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by christiangirl View Post
*And most importantly, if I ever need a book, I never come with less than the full title and details of the cover art. Because I have had my fair share of "I don't know the title or the author but I know the cover is blue" or "It's a series about horses.....I think."
Lol! This is the first thing I thought of when I saw this thread! I've heard that SO many time! "It's something about a cat, and the cover is orange." Umm....
Old 12-06-2010, 02:12 AM
GreekChat Member

On the other side of the spectrum on being talked down to, in my experience co-workers are just as bad as customers.

I was hired on-call for Macy's back in September and on my first day in the Home section for the holiday season, a "senior" employee tried to show me how to ring up a transaction. Overlooking that I had been working in the store since September, there's an extensive training when you're first hired with a register in training mode before you ever get on the floor. She also consistently makes a point to rub my "lack of college education" in my face, when I have made my alma mater no secret (especially on black friday with the football game later that day).

I never mind if people don't put things back themselves, I generally don't mind doing it, but I always appreciated it when customers would take the time to rebutton a shirt and put clothing back on the hanger. If the items are already prepped after they're tried on, it makes it that much easier to get them back on the floor.

I actually really do like working retail for extra money because I love starting conversations with people. I love repeat customers because they always tell me about their day or how their kids are doing or whatever. That's probably the best thing I've learned about retail: a little kindness will go a long way. I had a couple repeat customers come in today and one woman even brought in her husband to meet me. It was so sweet.

I do have plenty of horror stories, but I thought I would share a more humorous one from my college retail job.

During college, I used to work at Charlotte Russe and I was on the register one day. I was doing my usual attempt at trying to start some sort of conversation while ringing out because engaged customers are happier customers in my experience (also because I just like talking to people). While I was ringing out one customer, she pulls out an entire stack of one dollar bills to pay for her purchase (which was over $40).

"Oh, do you work in one of the restaurants in The Village?" The mall I was at had one of those outdoor attachments with all the specialty shops and nice restaurants.

She sneers at me and says "I wouldn't degrade myself by working food service."

So I just kind of shrug it off and compliment the shirt she's buying.

But my customer continued the conversation and said "I probably make way more money than any of those waitresses anyway. My tips are really good and repeat customers will drop hundreds of dollars on me."

At this point, I was trying my hardest to change the subject because I honestly had no idea what to say in response (if anyone has any ideas in hindsight, I would love to hear them). I think I fumbled with "A hundred dollars in one sitting sounds great" or something of that nature.

She smiled and told me "It's because the dancing keeps me fit. Not like being around food all day. Thanks for the shirt."

I was at a loss for any sort of response, but at least she left happy and gave me a thank you.

Meanwhile, my manager had been standing near by during the conversation and after the customer left, she started laughing hysterically.
Old 12-06-2010, 02:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santa Claus View Post
I guess what I'm not getting is why put things back? Isn't that what people who work there get paid for?
I have to agree.

I worked retail throughout high school and college. My only problem was people being nasty (gross, not mean). I did my job and got paid for it. That job included picking up after people, restocking, straightening, cleaning up messes, being courteous to rude customers, etc.

Regardless of my experiences, I'll be courteous to people, because that's the way I am. But, I have no problem leaving clothes in the designated area and not putting them back where I found them. I'm there to get in and get out. I don't have time to be doing someone else's job.

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.
Old 12-06-2010, 02:34 AM
GreekChat Member

It always grossed me out when customers took off their shoes to snuggle up in the arm chairs at Barnes and Noble. So many feet! I never sat there after I saw that. Ick!
Old 12-06-2010, 06:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by preciousjeni View Post
I have to agree.

I worked retail throughout high school and college. My only problem was people being nasty (gross, not mean). I did my job and got paid for it. That job included picking up after people, restocking, straightening, cleaning up messes, being courteous to rude customers, etc.

Regardless of my experiences, I'll be courteous to people, because that's the way I am. But, I have no problem leaving clothes in the designated area and not putting them back where I found them. I'm there to get in and get out. I don't have time to be doing someone else's job.
Putting it on the rack outside the dressing room that's there for that specific purpose is fine. I put things back when I have time, but yeah if I took a whole pile of clothing into the dressing room I don't want to put each item back where it belongs and putting them in the wrong place just makes more work for others. I am unimpressed however by the people that leave piles of things in the dressing room, all junked up and off of the hangers. That's just rude. Especially since most stores (where I shop anyway) have a sign somewhere in the dressing room asking customers not to do exactly that, and that designates where to put the clothing you don't want.

"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five."
Groucho Marx
Old 12-06-2010, 08:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovespink88
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
Random: Is it true that their Pink! collection bras don't come in a size larger than B?

Some of my bigger-boobed friends have said that.
LOL Just saw this. Not true. However, the stores are only supposed to hang Bs & and Cs (unless they were low on stock) in the display (for all bras, not just pink). The rest were in the drawers. I know at the store I worked at the Pink drawers were very hidden, so I can see how people think that.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearlbubbles View Post

She smiled and told me "It's because the dancing keeps me fit. Not like being around food all day. Thanks for the shirt."
LMAO! See, now I know quite a few.... um, thicker strippers. Not sure if their tips are the same as someone who's "fit" or not. I went and visited my brother yesterday, and he had a stack of 1's on his dresser. I said "Oh are you going to the strip club later, or did you get another side job you won't admit to? Let me know when you dance and I'll send all my friends to watch, you know they tip well." I'm a fun sister like that.

(The 1's were really tips from a valet job he did the night before.)
Old 12-06-2010, 09:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovespink88 View Post
LOL Just saw this. Not true. However, the stores are only supposed to hang Bs & and Cs (unless they were low on stock) in the display (for all bras, not just pink). The rest were in the drawers. I know at the store I worked at the Pink drawers were very hidden, so I can see how people think that.
I didn't move up to a B until about three years ago and that used to drive me crazy. I swear the VS I went to just didn't both to restock the few As they did put out...I'd always have to go on a treasure hunt to find my size.

"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five."
Groucho Marx
Old 12-06-2010, 12:27 PM
GreekChat Member

I last worked in retail 15 years ago and I think NOW customer service where something as simple as "Can I help you?" is not taught.

Customer satisfaction is nearly nil

and it sucks speaking to someone who is a manager who knows as much if not less than floor personnel truly sucks.
Law and Order: Gotham - “In the Criminal Justice System of Gotham City the people are represented by three separate, yet equally important groups. The police who investigate crime, the District Attorneys who prosecute the offenders, and the Batman. These are their stories.”
Old 12-06-2010, 12:35 PM
GreekChat Member

This thread is truly awesome. I'm nodding my head at most of it!
Old 12-06-2010, 02:05 PM
GreekChat Member

I worked in retail at a bath products store that I will not name (but y'all will probably guess) as a seasonal worker and hated every moment of it. The store was my boss's entire life...she was literally the Dwight Schrute of bath products, and I'm sure she expected us to be the same. While I will be dedicated and do everything I'm getting paid minimum wage for, I will not work on Tuesday morning when I have a final exam that I told her and the other manager about far enough in advance that they knew for over a month not to schedule me for. That was my breaking point. After they reassured me over and over that they understood I was a full time student and I would not be scheduled or "on call" for that day, I got the call. I quit right there.

Retail is a thankless, often boring job. As a college student, I'm willing to help you out, find things, and do my job, but I don't appreciate being talked down to because I'm wearing the stupid apron and swiping your credit card for inexpensive body lotion. However, it is NOT my job to watch your children while you peruse shower gels. And I can't give you the 40% discount on already half off products when the coupon clear states that it doesn't apply to sale items. It's already $4 instead of $8, and if you really need that $1.60 that badly, I suggest you don't buy the damned body scrub at all.

People may get stressed near the holidays, especially in the snow heavy area where I worked, but please, don't take it out on the store associates or cashiers. A little kindness does go a long way, and even before I worked in retail, I knew it wasn't fair to ruin an entire display looking for something, and I always tried to be kind to the employees. I wish we could require customers to read this thread before holiday shopping...or any shopping of this kind!
Old 12-06-2010, 02:35 PM
Super Moderator

I worked for Radio Shack and The Sharper Image all through undergrad and high school.

Agree with most all of the above. It was a valuable experience, mostly in that you learn to put up with a certain degree of rudeness and verbal abuse to where it just rolls off the back. That's helpful nowadays when I'm making arguments in court and opposing counsel is an ass.

It was a decent experience, wouldn't trade it for the world. Also learned a lot about how I should treat the folks behind the counter.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 12-06-2010, 09:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Before anyone is allowed set foot in a store or restaurant and even begin to believe its acceptable to act like an ass to someone working in a retail/restaurant environment they should work in a retail store and restaurant for 6 months to see what its like.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago88 View Post
Before anyone is allowed set foot in a store or restaurant and even begin to believe its acceptable to act like an ass to someone working in a retail/restaurant environment they should work in a retail store and restaurant for 6 months to see what its like.
I have always thought this. I think just about everyone would benefit for having some sort of service job for at least six months of their lives. In my experience, people who have worked in a restaurant or had a retail job are nicer to retail and restaurant employees even if they were just one of the other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishLake View Post
LMAO! See, now I know quite a few.... um, thicker strippers. Not sure if their tips are the same as someone who's "fit" or not. I went and visited my brother yesterday, and he had a stack of 1's on his dresser. I said "Oh are you going to the strip club later, or did you get another side job you won't admit to? Let me know when you dance and I'll send all my friends to watch, you know they tip well." I'm a fun sister like that.

(The 1's were really tips from a valet job he did the night before.)
Haha! Sounds like a fun brother/sister relationship.

After the fact, I really did want to ask her how her tips fared in comparison to her other co-workers; I never saw her again after that day, though I'm sure she came in at some other point. It was just one of those situations where I was caught so off-guard at the time that I honestly had no idea what to say.