GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,648
1 members and 1,647 guests
Sen's Revenge

Old 09-22-2007, 12:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Starting a sorority- help!!!

Hey I'm hoping to start a local sorority at my college, but I think I need more information on how to get it start it. I have been reading a few sites that explain how to start a sorority and what you need. My college doesn't recognize Sororities or Fraternities. So this would be an off-campus sorority which has been done. A lot of the sorority here seem to be only basing themselves on how cool they are and how they run the campus. We need something different, and I'm taking matters into my own hands by starting one! So if someone can e-mail or reply back with a little more information then that would be great. My biggest problem seems to be the pledge process. I understand it takes about 8-10 weeks and this is when the girls learn about the sorority, do some events, but what else? How do you end the process of a pledging and how do the girls become sisters. Other then that I understand everything else.

e-mail; unbr0kenlove@aol.com
Old 09-22-2007, 12:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Do a search for 'starting a local' on here. Also search for 'Rush at UCSC' because it's a great account of the ups and downs of starting a chapter.

And Jesus speaketh, "do unto others as they did unto you because the bitches deserve it".

Old 09-22-2007, 01:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Question--do you know why your college doesn't recognize sororities and fraternities? Is that something you could work to change?

As suggested, the Locals forum here is great.
Old 09-22-2007, 01:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPIDelta View Post
Question--do you know why your college doesn't recognize sororities and fraternities? Is that something you could work to change?
That's a good call

If you have campus support, it is much easier to operate. You could gain permission to use campus facilicites for events, advertise your group (campus newspaper? flyers?), and so much more.
Old 09-22-2007, 01:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

As suggested, the Locals forum here is great.

Well our campus just changed President and it seems that this president use to be in a Fraternity. So there might actually be some changes done, but I would probably try to change that of course. So I think it was because of the old President that Greek Life was no recognized
Old 09-22-2007, 01:38 PM
GreekChat Member

hmm... well in that case, I think I would consider talking with other students to see if there is an interest in changing the "policy". From there, you might come up with a proposal that you can forward to the SGA or the Dean of Students or President's Office for consideration. I wouldn't rely entirely on the fact that the President is Greek, simply because he may leave such decisions up to the dean or director level people, but its definitely a positive. If your college is trying to enhance student life or grow enrollment, you can make a case that Greek life is on way to help do that. I suggest this because it is easier to start a new group if you have support.

Otherwise, you can't do this alone. Do you have friends who would be interested in starting this group with you? Think about what will make your group different from other such opportunities around campus. What values do you want your members to cherish? What will be your mission? Good luck!
Old 09-22-2007, 01:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Truly understand, and yes I actually have a few girls who want to start one up as well. We did some research online, and gotten a pretty good amount of info. Now another question actually came to mind. Now I know in order to start one you need to pick a name that isn't taken already. Which I already did. I had a few names in mind, but my concern is now do I need to contact someone and tell them I'm start a sorority. I don't mean to contact the campus, but like the NPC. Or can I just start one without making any contact's. We have two local sororities already on campus like I said, but I rushed for both and I just didn't like the group of girls. They were just rude, and didn't care for much but popularity. I would ask for advice from them, but then I really doubt they would bother to help me. So how would this work? Do I just start it pick my name and such, or do I contact the NPC to let them know? I'm still reading on about the 'Rush at UCSC'.
Old 09-22-2007, 02:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Contacting the NPC is not your next step. The campus must contact NPC - so if your heart is set on an NPC group you should begin to see what would be required to open up the campus. Once the campus is open,NPC groups will be invited to submit applications, and then groups are invited to make presentations on campus. NPC groups colonize one of two ways - either taking over an existing local, or starting from scratch and forming a group themselves. It may well behoove you to find out if the two locals are interested in becoming NPCs - there is strength in numbers, and the more of you there are to advocate opening up the campus, the better. It may well be that it would be best for your campus to have several NPC groups come on at one time. But that is getting ahead of the game -
Old 09-22-2007, 02:16 PM
GreekChat Member

NPC has no control over local organizations so no, there is no need to contact NPC or anyone else for that matter. There is no official registry for sororities.

And yes, trying not to duplicate names is a good idea. Is the name based on anything? You don't need to answer that but realize that people will ask where you came up with the name.

Your reasons for wanting to start a new group are understandable but you might want to work on your "elevator speech" a little. You can say you didn't find what you were looking for without saying negative things about the groups--even if its true.

I was in the Alpha Class of a local--so I understand where you're at. Good luck!
Old 09-22-2007, 02:21 PM
GreekChat Member

If the campus does not recognize sororities you can not start an NPC because the campus would be considered the proper authority (I know there are situations where this isn't the case, but as a rule this is true.) I believe this poster is interested in starting a new local organization, is that correct?
Old 09-22-2007, 02:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bianca131 View Post
Truly understand, and yes I actually have a few girls who want to start one up as well. We did some research online, and gotten a pretty good amount of info. Now another question actually came to mind. Now I know in order to start one you need to pick a name that isn't taken already. Which I already did. I had a few names in mind, but my concern is now do I need to contact someone and tell them I'm start a sorority. I don't mean to contact the campus, but like the NPC. Or can I just start one without making any contact's. We have two local sororities already on campus like I said, but I rushed for both and I just didn't like the group of girls. They were just rude, and didn't care for much but popularity. I would ask for advice from them, but then I really doubt they would bother to help me. So how would this work? Do I just start it pick my name and such, or do I contact the NPC to let them know? I'm still reading on about the 'Rush at UCSC'.
I think that you are putting the cart before the horse. Think about what ideals you want to found your group upon, what kind of activities you want to do, any philanthropic work, gpa requirements, etc.

It's like starting a business - it's hard to come up with a name if you don't know what the company is about.

And a suggestion for you... don't put down other sororities, whether or not you think they deserve criticism. If you ever want your univsersity to recognize your organizations, you will need to show that you will be presenting positively on and off campus.

Good luck.

Old 09-22-2007, 02:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes, I want to start local. I understand that when it comes down to talk to the rushes I would have to explain why. As much as I didn't find the right one. I don't think I would come down to trash the other sorority, I did meet one or two nice girls.
But thank you so much for your help, I actually was given and offer to start a chapter now. Now it's a hard decision because I spent so much time choosing names and such. Its kind of hard to let go of a create you thought of yourself.
Old 09-22-2007, 02:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Someone from a group made you an offer here??? This morning?
Old 09-22-2007, 03:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Someone from a group made you an offer here??? This morning?
I wouldn't be surprised. Theres a group that has members on GC that is desperate to expand their trainwreck and just a while ago was begging for others here to affiliate with them.
Old 09-22-2007, 04:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bianca131 View Post
, I actually was given and offer to start a chapter now. Now it's a hard decision because I spent so much time choosing names and such. Its kind of hard to let go of a create you thought of yourself.

I would love to hear more about this.