GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 313,712
Threads: 115,426
Welcome to our newest member, KristieLag
» Online Users: 482
4 members and 478 guests
DaffyKD, naraht, nlagmannjero, PKT4LIFE

Old 01-17-2013, 11:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Cool How old is too old?

I recently had a discussion with another Greek member about attending Meet the Greeks at a school, not their Alma Mater. The Greek member Iím referring to is part of a cultural Greek organization and is 30 years old. After a long debate, I decided that I wanted to hear what others thought. How old is too old?
Old 01-17-2013, 11:07 AM
GreekChat Member

"How old is too old" for what?
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 01-17-2013, 11:16 AM
GreekChat Member

They are attending a school's Meet the Greeks. How old is too old to continue to attend Greek events at another school?
Old 01-17-2013, 11:18 AM
Super Moderator

What is their purpose for attending "Meet the Greeks"?
Old 01-17-2013, 11:28 AM
GreekChat Member

To visit the chapter and see other Greeks perform. Now my thing is this, it's kool if you want to see/visit your brothers in that chapter, but aren't you a bit old to be hanging around nineteen and twenty year old. Shouldn't you leave the Meet and Greet to the younger brothers on campus.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:29 AM
Super Moderator

Do other alumni attend?
Old 01-17-2013, 11:42 AM
GreekChat Member

You said it is a "cultural Greek organization." Perhaps this kind of alumni involvement is usual and expected in that organization.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
You said it is a "cultural Greek organization." Perhaps this kind of alumni involvement is usual and expected in that organization.
!!!

Old 01-17-2013, 03:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to dreamseeker
MTG is like a Greek (step) show, IMO. On a campus all the greek orgs introduce themselves and do some kind of performance. Like a chant, stroll, step, etc. At least here in the NY/NJ area. For cultural and D9 orgs this is an important opportunity to show that you are not wack (), and that your members are on point and can perform- image is very important.

So I guess what the OP is asking is, what age should you sit your butt at home and not be on some campus trying to look cute and stroll for/with undergrads?
Old 01-17-2013, 03:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Our MTG wasn't like that.

Old 01-17-2013, 03:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamseeker View Post
MTG is like a Greek (step) show, IMO. On a campus all the greek orgs introduce themselves and do some kind of performance. Like a chant, stroll, step, etc. At least here in the NY/NJ area. For cultural and D9 orgs this is an important opportunity to show that you are not wack (), and that your members are on point and can perform- image is very important.

So I guess what the OP is asking is, what age should you sit your butt at home and not be on some campus trying to look cute and stroll for/with undergrads?
BINGO!!!!! Thanks for explaining it dreamseeker.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:00 PM
Super Moderator

this guy is participating, not just watching from the audience?
Old 01-17-2013, 04:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
I would say this is something specific to the Northeast. It's a different world up here than anywhere else in the country, especially when it comes to cultural/multicultural Greeks.

If an org is strong and has a lot of "clout" they can do things that others can't without drawing negative attention. All of our orgs respect their old heads, so it's not abnormal to see older members (even bringing their children) to public events.

At the same time, I have personally witnessed an organization getting clowned on for having an older member at their MTG table. But, this org wasn't well respected on the campus in the first place.

I also think there's a double standard. Fraternities get away with a lot more than sororities. Fraternities can have all ages of men at their events and it's all good. Not so for sororities.

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to dreamseeker
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
this guy is participating, not just watching from the audience?
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by preciousjeni View Post
I would say this is something specific to the Northeast. It's a different world up here than anywhere else in the country, especially when it comes to cultural/multicultural Greeks.

If an org is strong and has a lot of "clout" they can do things that others can't without drawing negative attention. All of our orgs respect their old heads, so it's not abnormal to see older members (even bringing their children) to public events.

At the same time, I have personally witnessed an organization getting clowned on for having an older member at their MTG table. But, this org wasn't well respected on the campus in the first place.

I also think there's a double standard. Fraternities get away with a lot more than sororities. Fraternities can have all ages of men at their events and it's all good. Not so for sororities.
I was thinking about this too, but it wasn't fully fleshed out in my head. I was more thinking that guys mind it less, and for fraternities it isn't viewed as badly. Maybe cause no one asks them why they aren't in the kitchen or raising their kids.