GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,427
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, FlorCundif
» Online Users: 2,550
1 members and 2,549 guests
No Members online

Old 07-12-2000, 09:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Talking let's hear your story

Hi everybody,

I discovered this website in the beginning of the summer and I met a fellow sister at another chapter in another state. We've become close friends and e mail each other twice a day and send packages and letters and things. I'm interested in hearing what the rest of you have gotten from this site...good or bad. Any neat stories?

thanks
amanda
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-12-2000, 10:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to equeen
Well, my sis Artimis sorta nudged me into checking this site out, and I thought it was a neat forum. What I like best about this forum is that on the whole there is intelligent exchanges of information and ideas. Since my sorority is young, small, and not exactly traditional (which is not the norm on my campus) it's cool to meet greeks who are like me in that regard. It's also great being able to talk to greeks and learn about the differences and similarities of our origins, goals, and ideals.

------------------
equeen
A Lioness has her Pride!
@>--;--
Alpha Sigma Kappa - Women in Technical Studies
Old 07-12-2000, 06:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool

I have met 2 sisters on this site (cash78mere and AlphaChi Girl) and we've been emailing and such. I think its great! I've also gotten contacts from them for other sisters which is great. We've discussed rush and other chapter business so its been really cool for me! I think, when used properly, that this site is really great for meeting sisters and brothers that can really share advice and past experiences, even if its not the same org. to which you belong!

One warning I want to throw out to everyone though: a few years back in undergrad school we had a girl on our hall who met some friends online. After graduation she turned up missing and the prevailing thought was she had run away. Well, sadly, in the winter when the leaves and such were all gone, a hunter found her body in the woods. She had mentioned online to a "friend" that she would email more later because she had to go for her daily run (this was early morning) and he apparently hacked info from the computer and found her during her run one day. Please be SO CAREFUL what info you are giving to people. This isn't one of those stupid emails I receive, if you want more info about the case as proof, you may email me. I just don't want to see on the news that one of us has been deceived with tragic results.

Old 07-13-2000, 12:39 AM
gloriajean

Exclamation

What a shocking and terrible story. You're right, people can get lulled into a false sense of security on the Internet.

Another way to keep your privacy safe and those of your friends is, if you are sending out a mass email to people (i.e. forwarding jokes or something), use the BCC: (blind carbon copy) rather than TO: or CC: for everyone. With BCC:, people can't see the other recipients, whereas with the TO: and CC:, they can. After a joke has been forwarded a few times, you don't know who can see your email address, as the "forwards" have accumulated.

Also, when forwarding emails (like jokes, etc., anything that has been forwarded multiple times), delete all those preceding Fwd: Fwd: Fwd: headers that have accumulated.
You never know who could see your name and email address.
Old 07-13-2000, 11:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to ZetaAce Send a message via AIM to ZetaAce
I think that is awful, the internet can be very dangerous sometimes.

As for my story- I have learned a lot about non-NPHC GLOs since being on this board, especially about Rush. (And honestly, your process makes the NPHC process seem a lot less complicated, lol!)

I have also noticed that since being on this board I have gotten a lot of random emails people I don't know. Some of them are from sorors, some from people interested, and unfortunately some from perps .
(Just a note: If you are going to send someone email from this board or any other, you should at least include a brief intro.)

ZetaAce

------------------
Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc.
1-UL-97

[This message has been edited by ZetaAce (edited July 14, 2000).]
Old 07-14-2000, 05:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

And I have learned a lot about different rush processes and different aspects of greek life that I had no idea about like housing options (i'm still trippin' off of the post about the average price for a house being for frats being $1.2 million at Louisiana State) and hazing and hating and perps and what not.
Old 07-14-2000, 10:36 PM
GreekChat Member

I have learned soooooo much on this sight. I am a neo and I enjoy learning about all Greek org. I have also learned so much about non-NPHC greeks and am really proud of the things I know now. I have also met many sorors and have made sisterfriends and brotherfriends that are some of the greatest greeks in the world.

I think it also helps to get more diverse looks at these topics
Old 07-14-2000, 11:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ZetaAce:

As for my story- I have learned a lot about non-NPHC GLOs since being on this board, especially about Rush. (And honestly, your process makes the NPHC process seem a lot less complicated, lol!)

Ditto!!

------------------
Kelli
Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc.
12-Delta Nu-94
MAL, Southern Region
Savannah State University c/o 1997