GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Delta Pi
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,469
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, davidjuioro5780
» Online Users: 2,073
3 members and 2,070 guests
davidjuioro5780, MSKKG, oncegreek

Old 02-24-2004, 12:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to FirstAndFinest
Pin Attire

Sisters,

I'm posing this question as an advisor to a collegiate chapter. How do you describe proper pin attire to Alphas and Deltas??? Styles & times are so different now than when I was a collegian so the, "Look nice. Wear church clothes," doesn't really work anymore.

Another advisor and I are working on an "ADPi Do's and Don'ts" modelled after Glamour Do's and Don'ts. We would cut out from magazines pictures of women in pin attire and NON-pin attire, then present our display to the chapter.

Collegians, if you have any idea, please help a sistah out!
Old 02-24-2004, 01:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to skerbow Send a message via MSN to skerbow Send a message via Yahoo to skerbow
I think you are on the right track with the dos and donts. I will work on some of the concepts.

Pin attire at my chapter was as follows:

Dos: Dress pants, Blazers, Blouses, Button downs, Dresses or skirts (must come to knee length and not be low cut) Nice dress shoes and nilons with dresses or skirts. Anything you would wear to a professional office.

Donts: Formals, jeans, polos, slacks, kahkis, anything sleeveless, sun dresses, sandles, skorts, shorts, tshirts, tank tops.

I think that covered it. They were very specific. And if you wore you pin without proper attire, you were sent home to change. This was not only pin attire, but Meeting attire.
Old 02-24-2004, 02:04 PM
GreekChat Member

To add a little more to the don'ts: flip flops, spaghetti straps (unless they are covered with a nice sweater or something.. that least that goes for my chapter), anything that shows major cleavage, no denim of any kind (even on skirts/jackets)
Old 02-24-2004, 02:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to skerbow Send a message via MSN to skerbow Send a message via Yahoo to skerbow
hehehe...see Gamma Upsilon was very specific!! Thanks for the reminder Texas*princess
Old 02-24-2004, 03:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Can you put something in about not wearing clothing that is too tight when you don't have the right body for it? Or wearing those low-rider pants that show your underwear when you sit down? Or showing the tatoo on your lower back? These are all things I see when I visit collegiate chapters. Yikes! I know times have changed, but sometimes I don't know how people could be comfortable in certain styles. On a positive note, I think hair styles have really improved!
Old 02-24-2004, 03:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to FirstAndFinest
WLFEO, you don't miss spending hours with the hairspray bottle getting the "Big Hair" look??

WHat's a nice way to say, "Dress according to body type"? IS that the nice way to say it??
Old 02-24-2004, 04:09 PM
GreekChat Member

I think that is very proper.
Dress appropriate for body type. No visible tatoos.

Then include pictures of Dos and donts.
Old 02-24-2004, 04:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to nauadpi Send a message via Yahoo to nauadpi
Some things my chapter did was that in no way could your midriff show... That way if your shirt was too short or your pants too low there would be a problem... Also to try to describe what were dress pants we said that the pants could not have 5 pockets... This way it eliminated jean cut pants with there little pocket within a pocket, etc... Also being where it snows, we did have to say that doc martin type boots were not considered dress shoes... We also had the fact that no matter what the guard could always send someone back from a meeting who was not in apropriate pin attire... This was left up to their discression...

My chapter did though allow dress sandles when it was warm enough...

The main thing we always told our new members was to dress like you were going to an interview... That usually worked pretty well...
Old 02-24-2004, 08:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to polarpi

Some of the things y'all say are don'ts are things that my chapter *did* (Heidi, can you help me out here?)

I know that we did wear khakis, skirts that were *slightly* shorter than knee length, and sun dresses (when it was warm enough, but nothing with spaghetti straps). Women did wear sandals and no nylons with dresses/skirts. I'm not remembering anything else, but if I do think of anything or if adpi*nurse can further elaborate, I'll let you know!

L&L,
Jennie
Old 02-24-2004, 08:21 PM
Super Moderator

Polarpi, we did a lot of those things, too. We did have to wear hose, if we were wearing a skirt or dress, and also could wear sandals. But that was also a time when you could say "church attire" and everyone knew what you meant.
Old 02-24-2004, 08:31 PM
GreekChat Member

We had a "no denim" rule, but it never seemed to be enforced. I totally agree with the "body type" rule and no visible tattoos. I feel as a whole dress codes have become too relaxed (in church, workplace, etc.) so I don't know if that will work just saying wear church clothes. The pictures of do's and don't s is a great idea. (I feel like a grandma and I'm only 24, but I really wish things were a bit more conservative at times. Especially when it comes to what to wear in certain situations.)
Old 02-24-2004, 10:59 PM
GreekChat Member

We are a little less strict...we are allowed to wear skirts without hose and khakis, but no denim. We are allowed to wear flip-flops. Spaghetti straps aren't allowed.
Old 02-24-2004, 11:02 PM
GreekChat Member

I look at it this way. Would i let my grandmother see me wear her beautiful broach with what i have on? If not....change!

after all, we are wearing the badge of our founders. Shouldn't we respect it as such!
Old 02-24-2004, 11:10 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by skerbow
I look at it this way. Would i let my grandmother see me wear her beautiful broach with what i have on? If not....change!

after all, we are wearing the badge of our founders. Shouldn't we respect it as such!
I think we have a winner here!
Old 02-24-2004, 11:13 PM
GreekChat Member

man, i'm on a roll tonight