GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Academics

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,309
2 members and 1,307 guests
No Members online

Old 12-05-2001, 01:23 AM
Banned

Red face Supporting yourself while in college! WTF?

No offense, really.
The majority of the people I know at my school and job support themselves financially. I thought that was because my school is a primarily commuter campus. After reading some recent posts it turns out a lot of you GCers also support yourself. The same people, bitch about paying bills and being poor.

Question is, why so many 18-22 years support themselves while in college? As if tuition isn't high enough, you have to worry about coming up with more money. Isn't it more convient to live at home or stay in dorm until you graduate? Yeah, yeah I know our parents can be hassles. For me at least, between work, APO, school, church, and other extrecuricular activities I am rarely at home anyways. Am I missing something here?
Old 12-05-2001, 01:46 AM
GreekChat Member

I don't think your missing anything, but I also believe it depends on the situation. Some people don't have the luxary of staying at home, and some times dorm life isn't for everyone.
i mean I support my self and go to school full time, along with 30 other things i try to manage at the same time. I mean yea I complain, cause hell I can complain, but everyone needs that space to vent and get it all out. No matter how hard the situation we made it, ya know plus not everyones situation is as easy as you think
DGPhoney~
Old 12-05-2001, 02:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: Supporting yourself while in college! WTF?

Quote:
Originally posted by SH80er
No offense, really.
The majority of the people I know at my school and job support themselves financiallyAfter reading some recent posts it turns out a lot of you GCers also support yourself. The same people, bitch about paying bills and being poor.

To everyone who supports themself at college and pays their tuition/book/housing fees - I say more power to you and if you want to bitch about being poor and paying bills, thats your perrogitive b/c you are putting the extra effort forth to get an education - which by finacial standards is not always easy these days.

Luckily enough, my parents still pay my tuition and support me financially through college. But i know how blessed I am and that everyone does not have that luxury. I work my ass off to get good grades and make my parents proud and content that their money was put to good use.

We all don't go to school's where it is feasible or desirable to commute - I'm from chicago and I go to school in iowa - there wasn't anywhere near home i felt was right for me - and thats a matter of personal choice - some people are confined to one area for college, i had my pick of schools.

People who support themselves through college, i've found, often appreciate their education more and work hard to make the greade - becuase who wants to be blowing their own money?
Old 12-05-2001, 09:34 AM
Banned

Re: Re: Supporting yourself while in college! WTF?

Quote:
Originally posted by IowaHawkeye

We all don't go to school's where it is feasible or desirable to commute - I'm from chicago and I go to school in iowa - there wasn't anywhere near home i felt was right for me - and thats a matter of personal choice - some people are confined to one area for college, i had my pick of schools.

People who support themselves through college, i've found, often appreciate their education more and work hard to make the greade - becuase who wants to be blowing their own money?
I know that, majority of campuses aren't commuter ones, matter of fact IMO they SUCK!

You're right, I also found people who support themselves tend to value their education more. However, they appear to be very unhappy and forced/rushed to grow up. Not to mention very stressed, I knew if I had to support myself and do college I would end up with an ulcer or in a mental institution.

I mean, Kudos to who can pull it off. But, isn't it a rather extreme measure? Particularly to those who do it voluntarily.
Old 12-05-2001, 10:04 AM
GreekChat Member

I am all about the student loans!! or grants if I can get them. While its very commendable to support yourself AND go to school full time, I dont think I could do that, atleast right now. School is the main focus in my life and I wouldnt want to have any big worries to distract me from that. I lived off campus for a year and had plent yof money for tuition, rent, food, ect ect ect(and there were plenty of ects!!) Obviously you pay for that later, but I would rather be sure I am getting the best education that can rather than worrying about money.

Last edited by Beef; 12-05-2001 at 10:06 AM.
Old 12-05-2001, 10:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AngelPhiSig
I know you mentioned something about living in the dorms, here it is definately cheaper to live off campus. In the dorms you pay over 2000 bucks a semester, and to live off campus right now Im paying 1100... so... if someone was to support themselves, off campus is the place to be.

Also we do have alot of locals who go here, so they can commute, but I live an hour away so I cant.

Clarion Term Definition:
Local:
1- a person who lives in Clarion County
2- a hick
3- a hick who only comes out at A.L.F. or Spring Fling and Sundays at Wal Mart, usually scary.
Old 12-05-2001, 11:05 AM
GreekChat Member

I was one of the people who supported myself for the most part during college, although I did live at home...the cost of living in a dorm was waaaay to expensive. I didnt want to take out student loans because I wanted to graduate with a clean financial slate. My parents did help me with tuition, but I tried to work as much as I could, because even though my parents are poor, they were helping my brother and sister at the same time through college. There was no feeling like the bad feeling I had when I found out how much money my parents had to take out of their own retirement to help send us to school. I dont really have anything else to say other than...maybe people who complain about having to support themselves during college have to out of necessity.
Old 12-05-2001, 11:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by AngelPhiSig
I know you mentioned something about living in the dorms, here it is definately cheaper to live off campus. In the dorms you pay over 2000 bucks a semester, and to live off campus right now Im paying 1100... so... if someone was to support themselves, off campus is the place to be.

But, when you get done with bills, isn't it more expensive?
Old 12-05-2001, 11:29 AM
GreekChat Member

I lived in a pretty nice apt off campus and paid like $220 I think, with bills it ended up around 275-300. That included a garage aswell. Oh thats with a roommate too...
Old 12-05-2001, 11:45 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm always in awe of people who can support themselves totally during college. I have a very part-time (read, 6 hours/week) because it's in my major, but I use that money to pay sorority dues and trips to visit my boyfriend and things I'd just rather not ask my parents for. It's bad enough that they pay what is equal to the average income for a FAMILY just for me to go to school a year, and I'm not going to tax them further with paying for extras outside of tuition, room, board, books, supplies, travel, and general personal expenses--oh yeah, can't forget emergencies. If you go to a public school, chances are the tuition is lower and there's a housing shortage--which makes living off-campus and supporting yourself through a job much more feasible. I know where I go to school, the surrounding neighborhood is rather expensive, and everyone is required to live on campus for their first three years, and many seniors don't even live off-campus, because it's cheaper and much less of a hassle. I'm sure that if I had gone to my state university or even an out-of-state public school, I wouldn't work at all, and I'd probably have even more disposable income. It all depends on where you go to school.

People support themselves basically because they HAVE to. Despite the relative affluence of the United States, so many people are in debt and can barely pay all of their bills, let's not even go into paying one (or MORE) college tuitions. Also, there are so many people who are not financially dependent on their parents.
Old 12-05-2001, 12:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to GmuTeke
The way I see it, most of us have jobs because of our GLOs. They need money. Not just for national dues, but for shirts, goin out with the guys/girls, buying paraphenalia, and holding events. its not that it's all about the money, but it's nice to have it.

and since we're already working for our GLO's, we might as well work a little bit more and be independent. sure bills suck, but its a price worth payin in my book.
Old 12-05-2001, 12:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Supporting yourself while in college! WTF?

Quote:

Question is, why so many 18-22 years support themselves while in college? As if tuition isn't high enough, you have to worry about coming up with more money. Isn't it more convient to live at home or stay in dorm until you graduate? Yeah, yeah I know our parents can be hassles. For me at least, between work, APO, school, church, and other extrecuricular activities I am rarely at home anyways. Am I missing something here?
Well, it may be more "convenient" to live at home or stay in a dorm, but what is convenient is not always best.

I went to college about 4 hours away from where my parents live. I'm glad I did, too. It's not that I don't love my parents (I do) but IMHO, one of the most important things about college is learning to live, more or less, on your own. Even though my parents paid for college, I still learned important things being away from them. Also, living in an apartment instead of a dorm helps prepare you for life in the "real world" where you have to do things like set up electricity and phone service, pay bills, cook and clean up after yourself.

I think that it would be unfortunate to miss out on all these learning opportunities and graduate college never having lived away from your parents. You're behind the curve, then, and lack a lot of the skills that your peers have already been developing for years.
Old 12-05-2001, 12:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Re: Supporting yourself while in college! WTF?

Quote:
I knew if I had to support myself and do college I would end up with an ulcer or in a mental institution.

I mean, Kudos to who can pull it off. But, isn't it a rather extreme measure? Particularly to those who do it voluntarily.
You wouldn't end up with an ulcer or in a mental institution. That's just what you think because you're not doing it. I look at it like this. College is about WAY more than what you get in your classes. It's also about the LIFE experiences that you have. College is supposed to "prepare" you for LIFE. And life is HARD!! So what better time to get the practice of being on your own than in college. Was it hard for me? Yep. I have a GRIP of student loans, and I STILL had to work 2 or 3 part time jobs at a time. I went to school away from home (only 3 hours). Not to mention, both of my parents passed away while I was in school. So, I didn't have a choice but to learn how to support myself. Was I stressed? Yep. Did I get a healthy amount of sleep? Nope. Do I think it's extreme? Nope. My philosophy, you do what you gotta do. I did what I had to do. Do I regret any of it? Nope, not one little bit. Those experiences made me who I am today, and I'm thankful for them. I cried MANY, MANY a night. It took me 5 years. But I did it. And studied abroad, too! I'm proud of myself, and I think my parents would be proud, too. To this day, it's my most important accomplishment.

The thing of it is, everyone can hack it, if you HAD to. But if you don't have to, DON'T!!! I don't want my kids to go through what I went through. I hate these loans hanging over my head, but they were worth it. I guess what I'm trying to say is, there are probably a lot of things that you don't think you can do. But I'm a living testimony!!!
Old 12-05-2001, 01:22 PM
Banned

I think you guys are missing the point, SOME people HAVE to support themselves at a young age, that's fine. But, it confuses me why some people who DO have the option of waiting, are willing to go through all of that crap. Sure, it prepares us for the real world. But, we have the rest of our lives to grow up. Why do it at 18 or 19 or even 20? The idea is ludacris, majority of the people I know who voluntarily support themselves so young, wind up back home anyways with their folks.
Old 12-05-2001, 01:25 PM
Banned

Re: Re: Re: Re: Supporting yourself while in college! WTF?

Quote:
Originally posted by Ideal08

Not to mention, both of my parents passed away while I was in school.
I'm very sorry to hear about that.