GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 938
0 members and 938 guests
No Members online

Old 02-28-2021, 09:09 PM
GreekChat Member

VCU fraternity under investigation after death of freshman student

https://abcnews.go.com/US/vcu-frater...ve_twopack_hed

Quote:
Virginia Commonwealth University said it shut down a fraternity and the police are investigating after a freshman student was found dead this weekend.

Adam Oakes, 19, was found dead at an off-campus residence early Saturday morning by authorities, the university and the Richmond Police Department said in statements. The medical examiner's office is working to determine the cause of death, according to Richmond Police.

"This is a tragic loss for Adam's family and members of our community, and we encourage any students in need of support to contact University Counseling Services," the school said in a statement.

Oakes' cousin, Courtney White, told ABC News that the teen had rushed the university's Delta Chi fraternity, and this weekend was the night of his "big little reveal."

@~/~~~~
Old 02-28-2021, 11:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote from the article: “ White, 39, said Oakes was an only child and the youngest of all of the family's cousins. She said her cousin pledged with the fraternity because "he was just trying to be accepted and find his place."

Breaks my heart.
Old 03-01-2021, 01:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Just tragic, my heart goes out to his family who I just learned via the local news that they live close by.

https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/l...ended/2589841/
Old 03-02-2021, 02:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Yet another hazing death- he was blindfolded, fed tons of alcohol, hit his head and then found dead face-down.

Hey fraternity men, if you can't get your chapters to stop hazing, at least teach them to roll people onto their sides in the recovery position when they pass out from alcohol poisoning so they don't choke on their own vomit and die.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/01/u...delta-chi.html
Old 03-02-2021, 12:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldBows View Post
Hey fraternity men, if you can't get your chapters to stop hazing, at least teach them to roll people onto their sides in the recovery position when they pass out from alcohol poisoning so they don't choke on their own vomit and die.

The article says, "Mr. Oakes was placed on a couch on his side, and he was found dead on Saturday morning, face down, she said" So, it does look like they did that and he still passed.

I would rather they not haze and do the "drink until you die" thing.

True and Constant
Old 03-03-2021, 09:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Virginia Commonwealth University announced Tuesday it was launching a review of Greek life at the school following the death of freshman Adam Oakes after a fraternity event last week.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...873_story.html
Old 03-03-2021, 09:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Based on conversations with people I know who serve as advisors for some of the sororities there it seems like the school isn't super supportive of greek life and of course this tragedy doesn't help matters. So it will be interesting to see what the future will hold.
Old 03-03-2021, 04:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andthen View Post
Virginia Commonwealth University announced Tuesday it was launching a review of Greek life at the school following the death of freshman Adam Oakes after a fraternity event last week.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...873_story.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthen View Post
Based on conversations with people I know who serve as advisors for some of the sororities there it seems like the school isn't super supportive of greek life and of course this tragedy doesn't help matters. So it will be interesting to see what the future will hold.
Considering how long a few NPC groups have waited patiently to (re)colonize at VCU (after having been chosen to do so a looong time ago) I don't suppose a few more years of waiting will matter.

It's only words, and words are all I have to take your heart away.
Old 02-09-2023, 11:16 PM
GreekChat Member

The family is suing Delta Chi for 28 million.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/02/09/us/vi...uit/index.html
Old 02-10-2023, 09:47 AM
GreekChat Member

And a documentary was just released, which includes interviews with some of the Delta Chi members who were there that night.

https://www.wric.com/news/virginia-n...nity-brothers/

@~/~~~~
Old 02-12-2023, 11:03 PM
GreekChat Member

These idiots are how Greek life at a university dies, not to mention precious children. Breaks my heart.