GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24

Old 04-17-2007, 01:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Or, how special would this be:

Delta Zeta
Chapter
Alpha Kappa Alpha

ETA: I don't think anyone would ever do this, I'm just being silly.
I don't even know if AKA has a DZ Chapter designation.

Last edited by AlphaFrog; 04-17-2007 at 01:25 PM.
Old 04-17-2007, 02:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12dn94dst View Post
Emphasis is placed on international involvement THOUGH a chapter, be it collegiate or alumnae.

I love all of my sorors not because they came though the same chapter I did, but because they they took the same oath I did. I do tend to expect more of my Delta Nu sorors, but they're no "better" than any other soror.
Exactly. I cannot say that I have met any NPHCers that value their chapter more. Not that there aren't any out there, I've just never come across them. As 12dn94dst stated, my sorors are all on the same level as far as I'm concerned.. If you are repRhosenting that Rhoyal blue and Gold, you are just as important to me as my chapters sorors.
Old 04-17-2007, 03:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tld221 View Post

but i can agree - if my chapter letters were the only thing on said shirt, without any regards to the actual organization - that's violation (and i've seen that before - in other org, not mine. in particular with single-letter chapters. but thats a whole nother topic)
I can see that I definitely need to start paying more attention b/c I 've never seen this. Will definitely be looking now.

Quote:
my neos tried to have a spring 06 call and was like WTH? is my call not good enough for you? SMH.
Maybe I'm getting old, but I promise we would have never considered doing this.
Old 04-17-2007, 03:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
if i'm understanding you correctly - "chapter shirts" take it too far? why is that? i know this isnt exactly the same example, but line shirts/jackets can be looked at as "chapter-only"
I don't know what your line shirt looked like but mine had a huge "Delta Sigma Theta" on the front.

My chapter designation was placed on the left sleeve, which means that it's secondary information that can be seen only after you see "Delta."
Old 04-17-2007, 04:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PM_Mama00 Send a message via Yahoo to PM_Mama00
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog View Post

Delta Zeta
Chapter
Alpha Kappa Alpha

Funny little story. A sorority on campus has pledge class designations. One of their last pledge classes was Delta Zeta. They got camouflage shirts for the class to wear on Bid Day... a big DZ on the front and their sorority's name written out on the back.

Fast forward to the last women's night of Greek Week. Our president's sister is a DZ at a neighboring school. For their Greek Week, they had camouflage shirts with a big DZ on the front. She came to the event with a few of her sisters, and they were all wearing the shirts, not knowing about the other sorority on campus's shirts.

Guess who wasn't happy that non-members were wearing their letters?

KLTC
Old 04-17-2007, 04:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog View Post

Delta Zeta
Chapter
Alpha Kappa Alpha

That is really funny.

BTW we do: Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Incorporated Delta Zeta Chapter
at Michigan State.

ETA if looking at the site from the intro page you would think it was a site for Delta Zeta not AKA DZ Chapter.

Last edited by 1908Revelations; 04-18-2007 at 11:14 AM.
Old 04-19-2007, 09:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTXBelle View Post
I've come to think of other NPC members as my cousins - not as close as sisters, but still related and beloved.
I think this is a great description! I always love hearing of friends (when I was in college) and now the children of friends who have gone greek. It doesn't matter which one they chose-- just that they found a home.

I would expand the "cousins" idea even beyond NPC. I remember the day I found out that my son's teacher was an AKA- we spent half an hour just talking about greek life and what a great experience it is.

As for national verus chapter- I will always love my chapter, and I will always support them. However as I get older, I understand some of the decisions that our International Org has made, that I might not have understood when I was an undergrad. So I guess I have gone from 100% my chapter to 50-50 chapter-international org.

So I depart that I may now better serve my fellow man, my country & God
Old 04-19-2007, 11:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTCHAOS View Post
I don't know what your line shirt looked like but mine had a huge "Delta Sigma Theta" on the front.

My chapter designation was placed on the left sleeve, which means that it's secondary information that can be seen only after you see "Delta."
And this is how it should always be in my opinion. EVERY piece of 'nalia I own is done that way, there are no exceptions.
Old 04-19-2007, 12:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1908Revelations View Post
That is really funny.

BTW we do: Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Incorporated Delta Zeta Chapter
at Michigan State.

ETA if looking at the site from the intro page you would think it was a site for Delta Zeta not AKA DZ Chapter.

You'd think that I would have remembered that, given that I went to Michigan State. (But in my defense, it has been over a decade since I was an active Greek member at MSU... )

BTW - Delta Zeta does not have a chapter at Michigan State. So, at least at the local level, that probably minimizes the confusion that could potentially be caused by the intro page of the website!

(Delta Zeta did have a chapter at MSU once, but it was gone long before I even pledged in 1992. The only reason I even knew that there once was a DZ chapter is that older alumnae - from the 70s or early 80s - still referred to the Sigma Nu house as the "old DZ house." And there was a very...um, interesting...story about why the chapter left campus.)
Old 04-19-2007, 02:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTCHAOS View Post

Mine too.
Old 04-19-2007, 07:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
At the 2004 Convention, I quickly did the math to see if I had a chance to make it to that many Conventions. I won't live that long... (I've only attended 4 so far, San Antonio will be 5 and I don't see living another 40+ years)
Aspero dum espero, as the Romans used to say I've been to every convention(annual) since 1981, and I'm only the third most continuous(?) attendee. It's a great time as a social event and an excellent chance to see old friends and make new ones. Our 175th is coming up this year!