GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,251
0 members and 1,251 guests
No Members online

Old 03-22-2005, 01:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to _Opi_
Advertising on TheFaceBook

Do you take advantage of thefacebook to advertise for events, recruitments, or parties?

and if so,
any success stories?

Currently, my org has bought some space for two days to advertise for an event tomorrow. I will update you guys as to how effective facebook advertising is.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-22-2005, 01:10 PM
Banned

Re: Advertising on TheFaceBook

Quote:
Originally posted by _Opi_
Do you take advantage of thefacebook to advertise for events, recruitments, or parties?

and if so,
any success stories?

Currently, my org has bought some space for two days to advertise for an event tomorrow. I will update you guys as to how effective facebook advertising is.
I posted an article from my school about this if you're interested. I don't remember when it was but do a search. It was about fraternities that advertised and got good turnouts to parties but didn't know if it was because of the facebook ads.

-Rudey
Old 03-22-2005, 05:07 PM
GreekChat Member

We have been asked by our panhell to NOT use facebook for advertising. In fact, we have been asked to use extreme caution regarding facebook and our organizations. I am waiting to get an official "no facebook" mandate.
Old 03-22-2005, 05:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ambición6 Send a message via Yahoo to ambición6
how come you can't use facebook for advertising?
Old 03-22-2005, 05:29 PM
GreekChat Member

What Ambicion said.....it seems to be successful at my alma mater, too.
Old 03-22-2005, 06:03 PM
Unregistered-

Basically what it all comes down to is the question of what's appropriate and not appropriate to attach your letters to online.

Many campus Panhellenics have issued directives to sororities warning them to exercise caution when it comes to FaceBook. Some are worried that FaceBook will have a negative effect on recruitment.

I know that, with Rho Chis -- they have to deactivate themselves during the recruitment period. Sure, she can take her letters off her FaceBook profile, but it doesn't take a genius PNM to figure out her affiliation when she has all her XYZ sisters saved as friends!

College kids will be college kids, and some of the "groups" are questionable. I guess many people just feel the need to distance their letters from "Society of Potheads Unite!".
Old 03-22-2005, 11:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by OohTeenyWahine
Basically what it all comes down to is the question of what's appropriate and not appropriate to attach your letters to online.

Many campus Panhellenics have issued directives to sororities warning them to exercise caution when it comes to FaceBook. Some are worried that FaceBook will have a negative effect on recruitment.

I know that, with Rho Chis -- they have to deactivate themselves during the recruitment period. Sure, she can take her letters off her FaceBook profile, but it doesn't take a genius PNM to figure out her affiliation when she has all her XYZ sisters saved as friends!

College kids will be college kids, and some of the "groups" are questionable. I guess many people just feel the need to distance their letters from "Society of Potheads Unite!".
You answered this perfectly - thanks for saving me the time
Old 03-23-2005, 11:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ambición6 Send a message via Yahoo to ambición6
Oh yeah the whole Rho Chi thing. I forget that whole secrecy thing with NPC, IFC groups. That makes sense then why they wouldn't want you to advertise/associate with facebook. At least for me, I wouldn't put anything in my facebook profile that I thought was shady because my greek affiliation is all over my profile. but some people just dont have common sense!

now can someone point me to a thread talking about why the Rho Chi's can't say which house they belong to...
Old 03-23-2005, 11:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to _Opi_
Thank you all for your input!

Rudey, yes I read that article. That's what gave me the idea to advertise on there to begin with. My school does not use the paid advertisement and I believe we are the first org to utilize it.

I can understand why NPC might not want to use FB..for Rho Chi purposes..but what could be the harm in advertising for service events or Philanthropies, if its going to help out with numbers?

Anyway..Our event is tonight, so I will see how well this thing works!
Old 03-23-2005, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ambición6
now can someone point me to a thread talking about why the Rho Chi's can't say which house they belong to...
I don't know if there's a specific thread but the reason is so they can be an objective sounding board for the rushees. The rushee needs to feel free to say "I don't want to go back to Mu Mu, I had a terrible time there" without fear of offending her rush counselor - it would be hard to do that if she knew her rush counselor is a Mu Mu.
Old 03-23-2005, 03:07 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally posted by _Opi_

I can understand why NPC might not want to use FB..for Rho Chi purposes..but what could be the harm in advertising for service events or Philanthropies, if its going to help out with numbers?
It's not just for Rho Chi purposes.

Campus Panhellenics tend to see FaceBook as something negative, mainly because of the reasons I stated previously. Imagine seeing an ad for XYZ's philanthropy:

"COME TO DANCE MARATHON...a benefit for the Children's Hospital..."

Now imagine clicking on the chapter's FaceBook profile and seeing many of their members belonging to clubs such as "Addicted to Hot Dirty Sex" or "I love getting stoned to Bob Marley". I see this all the time.

FaceBook contains many questionable profiles from sorority women, and it's just less risky to spend the chapter's money using more traditional and safer forms of advertising.

Some campus Panhellenics across the country are even issuing directives to their members because there are profiles out there you pray your inter/nationals don't find out about!
Old 03-23-2005, 03:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhoenixAzul
as a Rho Chi for this year, part of the reason we have to be secretive about our affiliation is so that we don't influence the girl's decision. I know there are a TON of girls from my group that I wanted to be Tau Delta girls, but I don't want them to feel pressured to join TD. But also, some girls bond with their PX's, and if they knew their affiliation, they may decide to sign XYZ based soley on their PX, not the entire chapter. Also, PX's are chosen for their ability to be panhellenic and to talk a) informatively b) neutrally c) truthfully about EVERY sorority, not just her own. If girls asked if a group on campus was on probation, I have an obligation to explain to her without bias why they are and what it means to their members. That is to say, I would provide her with the same information that the campus paper would...what happened and what actions were taken, no snarkyness. That's why most groups have 2 (or more I'd assume for larger schoools) PX's, both from different chapters
Old 03-23-2005, 03:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Great job with starting this thread!! I was wondering about this myself...

OohTeenyWahine said just about everything I've wanted to say, but when has that ever stopped me from talking anyway??

No one has advertised yet on our Facebook at Mizzou, and a few organizations have already restricted the use of Facebook by their members... leading me to believe that more restrictions will occur before any advertising will.

One house asked all their members to (regardless of what groups they were in or what their profiles said) to remove their affiliations and the group's name from Facebook groups. (Although the women have worked around it... their group no longer states the name and letters of the sorority, but their picture is of an angel... that kind of narrows it down, doesn't it?!) Another group has asked the women to either remove offensive material or remove their affiliations from their profiles...
Old 03-23-2005, 03:33 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally posted by STL Kappa
Great job with starting this thread!! I was wondering about this myself...

OohTeenyWahine said just about everything I've wanted to say, but when has that ever stopped me from talking anyway??

No one has advertised yet on our Facebook at Mizzou, and a few organizations have already restricted the use of Facebook by their members... leading me to believe that more restrictions will occur before any advertising will.

One house asked all their members to (regardless of what groups they were in or what their profiles said) to remove their affiliations and the group's name from Facebook groups. (Although the women have worked around it... their group no longer states the name and letters of the sorority, but their picture is of an angel... that kind of narrows it down, doesn't it?!) Another group has asked the women to either remove offensive material or remove their affiliations from their profiles...
Everyone around these parts know that I'm not the best example of my organization (especially online). I look at my FaceBook profile, and it's not the best -- but sometimes it's just easier to take your letters and affiliation off.

Lots of college kids party, experiment with illegal substances, and some have no problem with multiple partners ... if a member thinks it's important to have the kind of FaceBook profile that reflects best on their identity and personality, then taking your letters off is probably the best thing to do...especially since they're not just YOUR letters.
Old 03-24-2005, 02:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Long-distance information, give me Memphis, Tennessee!
sidenote

Quote:
Originally posted by OohTeenyWahine
Its like Damn Yankees who come to the South and say "I hate it down here" -- wow, look at that... the highway that brought you here, runs right back up!
I like your quote, but it especially cracks me up since you live in Hawaii!