GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,427
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, FlorCundif
» Online Users: 2,497
0 members and 2,497 guests
No Members online

Old 08-13-2007, 04:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Did anyone read the new article that has been posted? The author talks about how the sororitys bump and organize meeting and remembering girls...
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-13-2007, 04:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGAdDawg View Post
Did anyone read the new article that has been posted? The author talks about how the sororitys bump and organize meeting and remembering girls...
Can you post the link?
Old 08-13-2007, 04:41 PM
GreekChat Member

http://www.ajc.com/search/content/me...rush_0813.html
Old 08-13-2007, 04:43 PM
GreekChat Member

I can't believe the AJC is giving this much coverage to UGA recruitment when there isn't a *gasp* scandal going on!

Old 08-13-2007, 04:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by myonlydaughter View Post
While DPhiE was founded as a Jewish sorority and has been at UGA many years as such, it is not majority "Jewish" at many schools.
Actually, DPhiE was not founded as a Jewish sorority.

"On March 17, 1917, five women at New York University Law School took a pledge of sisterhood and loyalty and so founded the Alpha Chapter of Delta Phi Epsilon, one of the first non-sectarian, social sororities and the only one founded at a professional school." Taken from http://dphie.org/general/index.shtml
Old 08-13-2007, 05:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by violetpretty View Post
Actually, DPhiE was not founded as a Jewish sorority.

"On March 17, 1917, five women at New York University Law School took a pledge of sisterhood and loyalty and so founded the Alpha Chapter of Delta Phi Epsilon, one of the first non-sectarian, social sororities and the only one founded at a professional school." Taken from http://dphie.org/general/index.shtml
While this is true, the five founders were Jewish and sorority membership for more than fifty years was almost entirely Jewish, so DPhiE is often considered to be one of the "historically Jewish" sororities.

I'll never forget the first time I heard this though--I was in NewYork and I told someone I was a DPhiE, and she said, "Oh that's the Jewish sorority." I said, "Not at my catholic college!"
Old 08-13-2007, 06:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPIDelta View Post
My info says the decade of DPhiE's founding at UGA is the 1930s... does someone have other information?
Perhaps it was corrected in the online article. It said something along the lines of D phi E had been on campus since the 1950's when I first read it. I'm glad they fixed it. Does anyone have the early Sunday print edition to see?
Old 08-14-2007, 03:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaGirl View Post
Actually the woman who wrote this article is an alumnae of a UGA sorority. Who would have guessed?
Do you know which sorority? Is it an NPHC GLO? I tried to locate AJC staff reporter bios and could not....
Old 08-14-2007, 07:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPhiBLtColonel View Post
Do you know which sorority? Is it an NPHC GLO? I tried to locate AJC staff reporter bios and could not....

I've been wondering the same thing.

The second article hints at insider information about how the groups handle recruitment, but none of it seems particularly well informed.
Old 08-14-2007, 10:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sistermadly
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaGamUGAAlum View Post
an NPC sorority? That blows my mind. How could she get the Pan-Hellenic and Inter-fraternity Council stuff wrong then? Or not check her D Phi E dates?
Because in a lot of instances, reporters aren't the ones responsible for checking facts and editing their articles. I don't know if that's the case in this article, but it may be.
Old 08-14-2007, 11:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to UGATammy
From a DPhiE at UGA alum

I was a DPhiE at UGA (2001-2005) and I can't tell you how sad I am to see that my chapter closed. It was the only remaining single letter chapter left that hadn't closed. To clear up everything, DPhiE is historically not Jewish. The founders were indeed Jewish and the membership during that time was Jewish but that is because at the time of our society, Jewish people were being discriminated against. Thus, these women decided to form their own sorority that was non-sectarian. When it was founded at UGA (1935), Jewish women on campus were being discriminated and they treasured what DPhiE nationally had promoted and thus brought DPhiE here. DPhiE at UGA couldn’t help that it attracted Jewish members, but one goes where one feels comfortable and where their friends are. Basically the same reason why we all find our own niche in our respective sorority. There’s something in a sorority that appeals to us because of what they have to offer. In this case, DPhiE offered this chance to Jewish women. Not all chapters of DPhiE were founded by Jewish women. Each of our chapters is different.

I came into DPhiE when it was reorganizing. There are a lot of opinions that state that DPhiE was stronger when it was Jewish (meaning before they “open” its doors to others), but I say that it may have been bigger and stronger during that time period of our society, but things have changed and a different society has emerged. Chapters that used to be smaller back in the day are strong and big today and vice versa. I’m half Pakistani and half Korean and I joined what most people on UGA campus and probably over the nation claim to be historically Jewish. There’s nothing historically Jewish about DPhiE other than it was founded by women who happened to be Jewish because they were being discriminated against. How can one assume that UGA DPhiE was Jewish when they can clearly see that I am not Jewish as well as see that other members in the chapter were clearly not Jewish. I have nothing against the Jewish population. Some of my closest friends are Jewish. I love DPhiE and joined it because of its non-sectarian beliefs. Yes, we can’t be discriminative to our membership these days, but DPhiE really promoted the non-sectarian principles. When I was an active sister, we had 3 sisters (including myself who were half Korean), one Polynesian, one Lebanonese, 3 or 4 Jewish sisters and the rest were Caucasian. Now how can you label us as being totally Jewish?

What is going to happen when a lot of Jewish women start going to other houses? Are those houses going to be called Jewish then and then will they start facing problems like we did?

I think that everyone tends to forget that this sort of thing “labeling” happens to all sororities and affects sororities differently across campus. It is really devastating to see that we tried so hard to keep our chapter running, but it was constant rumors and labeling that pushed us against from moving forward. There have been numerous chapters on UGA that had to go through a reorganization and now they are very strong on campus as well as nationally. I just don’t understand why it couldn’t happen to DPhiE. People tend to underestimate the power of words when it comes to labeling because it can definitely do damage.

"Individually unique. Together complete." ~ Unknown
Old 08-14-2007, 11:21 AM

Tammy:

Bravos on such a classy post, especially at what must be a very hard time for you right now. I wish you and your sisters lots of love and luck in years to come, as your chapter may close, but the bonds are still there. **hug**
Old 08-14-2007, 11:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Denise_DPhiE
Quote:
Originally Posted by UGATammy View Post

DPhiE at UGA couldn’t help that it attracted Jewish members, but one goes where one feels comfortable and where their friends are. Basically the same reason why we all find our own niche in our respective sorority. There’s something in a sorority that appeals to us because of what they have to offer.

AMEN SISTA!

The power of those six words sums up sorority recruitment across the world....
Old 08-15-2007, 10:49 PM
GreekChat Member

I did not realize that Andrea Jones' sorority rush articles were going to be a continuing series for the week. Did anyone ever find out what sorority this reporter is in, if any? I am wondering if she and the new UGA Greek Life director are sorors and perhaps this article was the new director's way of putting her mark on UGA Greek life. One of the Gamma Phi Beta collegians at the house today (I helped with rush for prefs there today) said the new director is really nice and should be great to work with.
Old 08-15-2007, 10:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to UGATammy
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPhiBLtColonel View Post
I did not realize that Andrea Jones' sorority rush articles were going to be a continuing series for the week. Did anyone ever find out what sorority this reporter is in, if any? I am wondering if she and the new UGA Greek Life director are sorors and perhaps this article was the new director's way of putting her mark on UGA Greek life. One of the Gamma Phi Beta collegians at the house today (I helped with rush for prefs there today) said the new director is really nice and should be great to work with.
UGA Greek Life got a new director?

"Individually unique. Together complete." ~ Unknown