GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,858
1 members and 1,857 guests
Cookiez17

Old 01-12-2014, 06:50 PM
GreekChat Member

In a Sorority and Transferring Schools

I am a freshman and I am in Alpha Omicron Pi at my current university. I am thinking about transferring to Penn State, but since they don't accept sophomore transfer students at the main campus, I would have to attend an off branch campus for my sophomore year and then transfer to main campus for my junior and senior year. On the off branch campus they don't have any sororities, but they do have a chapter of AOII at main campus. If I transfer and have to take that year off of my sorority, would I still be able to become an active member my junior and senior at the main campus? I know the first step would be to talk to the girls in my chapter, but I haven't made a decision yet. Any help would be appreciated. Roses xoxox!
Old 01-12-2014, 06:52 PM
GreekChat Member

If they affiliate transfers, you could apply for the process. Doesn't matter that you went to a campus without an AOII chapter or whether you weren't in school at all. You just need to get information on what you need from your current chapter to give to the subsequent chapter.
Old 01-12-2014, 07:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Just curious, but wouldn't it be easier to stay at your current school until you can transfer to the Penn State main campus? Instead of transferring to Altoona and then to Main?
Old 01-12-2014, 07:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh, also, Altoona campus (where most people go before they transfer to main campus) has Gamma Phi & Alpha Sigma Tau, and Erie campus has Alpha Sigma Tau, Alpha Sigma Alpha and Theta Phi Alpha. Just FYI. Not that it really matters for you since AOII isn't among them.
Old 01-12-2014, 07:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffins&Quills View Post
Just curious, but wouldn't it be easier to stay at your current school until you can transfer to the Penn State main campus? Instead of transferring to Altoona and then to Main?

I am currently attending a university out of state and a lot of my credits are not going to transfer. So I think it will just save me money if I get in-state tuition and know that all my credits will transfer.
Old 01-12-2014, 07:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOIIroses17 View Post
I am currently attending a university out of state and a lot of my credits are not going to transfer. So I think it will just save me money if I get in-state tuition and know that all my credits will transfer.
As a Penn State alumna, I will share that, if you are an out-of-state student and your family is originally from out-of-state, you are right to want to transfer to maybe a cheaper state school in PA or a branch campus before heading to main campus. Out-of-state tuition has sky-rocketed, which is why I turned down the chance to earn my Ph.D. at my alma mater and went elsewhere. They weren't going to offer the financial aid package I wanted and I would have been an out-of-state resident since I moved out of PA years after graduating from Penn State. Be aware of the prices. Good luck!
Old 01-12-2014, 07:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by als463 View Post
As a Penn State alumna, I will share that, if you are an out-of-state student and your family is originally from out-of-state, you are right to want to transfer to maybe a cheaper state school in PA or a branch campus before heading to main campus. Out-of-state tuition has sky-rocketed, which is why I turned down the chance to earn my Ph.D. at my alma mater and went elsewhere. They weren't going to offer the financial aid package I wanted and I would have been an out-of-state resident since I moved out of PA years after graduating from Penn State. Be aware of the prices. Good luck!
Thanks for your help! I am from Pennsylvania and was to stubborn as a high school senior to attend Penn State and instead wanted to go to a big state school elsewhere. I know am seeing the financial hardships and while I love my current school, I think Penn State could be just as great!
Old 01-12-2014, 08:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes, you would be able to join the AOII chapter if you went to Penn State for you Junior and Senior years. AOII does not have a rule requiring members to be voted in, so you would just need to leave you current chapter in good standing. Talk to your chapter president and chapter adviser before you leave and make sure there is nothing that you have outstanding with the chapter. The last thing you want is to find out that your membership has been terminated because you didn't pay some $5 fine. Once you are ready to affiliate, you CA will need to fill out a form for you so being a known entity will be good.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 01-12-2014, 08:55 PM
GreekChat Member

I would think you should be able to be an active when you get to Main Campus as a junior. You may want to contact AOII HQ to see what the rules are, but I shouldn't think there would be a problem joining the new chapter, you'd just have to see how to maintain your status at a satellite campus. Good luck!
Old 01-12-2014, 08:59 PM
GreekChat Member

I knew AOII Angel would know!
Old 01-12-2014, 10:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
Yes, you would be able to join the AOII chapter if you went to Penn State for you Junior and Senior years. AOII does not have a rule requiring members to be voted in, so you would just need to leave you current chapter in good standing. Talk to your chapter president and chapter adviser before you leave and make sure there is nothing that you have outstanding with the chapter. The last thing you want is to find out that your membership has been terminated because you didn't pay some $5 fine. Once you are ready to affiliate, you CA will need to fill out a form for you so being a known entity will be good.

Thank you so much!!