GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Phi > Phi Mu

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,440
1 members and 1,439 guests
Sen's Revenge

Old 09-19-2006, 10:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to GinaBaroness Send a message via Yahoo to GinaBaroness
Smile Reactivating as an Alum...???

Hi ladies,

I have a question and I thought maybe someone here could answer it. Earlier in my college career I was a Phi Mu (fully initiated!) but I deactivated for financial reasons. I'm going to be graduating in May, and I was wondering if there was a way to reactivate as an alum. I'm going to be going to grad school at a school where there isn't a chapter, but I would LOVE to get the ball rolling on helping some girls colonize one, maybe!

I really miss the bond of sisterhood, and it saddens me that I had to give it up because of money...I'd love to hear that there's a way to get it back. Thanks!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-20-2006, 05:57 PM
GreekChat Member

It is possible, but as far as I know, you have to contact your local alumnae chapter (try the Cleveland chapter--they're great!) to go about it. Another option would be to contact Executive Office or the Director of Member Services to find out exactly what reaffiliating would entail. If you go to the national website (www.phimu.org) and click on the "Alumnae" link, you should be able to find out more information on whom you should contact.
(Now STEELERBEAR on here... oops)
Old 09-20-2006, 08:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks so much! I'm thrilled to hear that my decision didn't have to be a permanent one. I'll be in a MUCH better position to handle the financial commitment once I'm out of college.
Old 09-20-2006, 09:37 PM
GreekChat Member

That's COMPLETELY understandable. I'm sure, more often than not, women who relinquish their membership during college do so because of finances. It really makes me wish there was some sort of financing plan or something available, because some women don't even want to go through Recruitment because of the money they would need to have.

Please be sure to keep us all informed of your progress.
Old 10-08-2006, 02:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Your chances of reinstating are MUCH better if you do it while you are still an undergrad. There is a formal process for this, and you should contact the EO before you graduate.

Otherwise, you are pretty much saying that you don't want to be a member until you reach the point where you don't have to contribute any time or money.
Old 10-08-2006, 09:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
Your chances of reinstating are MUCH better if you do it while you are still an undergrad. There is a formal process for this, and you should contact the EO before you graduate.

Otherwise, you are pretty much saying that you don't want to be a member until you reach the point where you don't have to contribute any time or money.
I talked to the chapter president at my school. Last year, I did have intentions of reactivating this fall (which is right now) and told the chapter I was planning on coming back. However, it's not financially possible for me to do it right now. I have $5,000 in credit card debt that I need to take care of before I can enjoy any "extras." She completely understood and told me that I could reactivate even after graduation if I wanted to do so--hence my reason for asking here how it could be done.

Also, I'm student teaching next semester, and I won't have time/energy to go to really contribute anything (when I was still active, the graduating seniors who student taught RARELY showed up to anything, even though they weren't really exempt just because of how demanding student teaching was). I'd just be dead weight, really...that's why I was thinking it would be better to wait until I graduated so that I'd a) have the money to pay for financial obligations, and b) I could get involved with things via an alumnae chapter. I'd love to donate to the foundation on a continuous basis once my debt is cleared and I'm settled into my career--and maybe even help colonize a chapter while I'm in grad school!
Old 10-12-2006, 08:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
I don't doubt your intentions, I am just letting you know that the process is easier as an undergrad.
Old 11-02-2006, 06:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sageofages
Reinstatement of Membership.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
I don't doubt your intentions, I am just letting you know that the process is easier as an undergrad.

Actually the process is identical as an alumna as it is a collegiate member, no matter when you relinquished your membership. (I have helped several "misguided" sisters find their way back home ) You don't need to affliated with a local chapter, but it doesn't hurt.

You must fill out an application in detail, pay a reactivation fee and submit this all to the National Council. It is with unanimous agreement of the National Council that reinstatement can happen.

Contact the National Headquarters for more information.
Old 11-21-2006, 08:13 PM
GreekChat Member

News!!!

I e-mailed the national director of membership for Phi Mu a day or two after I started this thread. I didn't hear back from her and had basically given up...BUT, I just checked my e-mail and I had a reply from her! I have to pay the balance I owed my chapter at the time I quit, and she gave me an address to where I could send it. Once I do that, the National Executive Committee will consider my request.

I won't be able to afford it probably until after I graduate, but I'm definitely saving that e-mail so I can get the ball rolling further in May. I am so, so, so excited about this!

Last edited by GinaBaroness; 11-21-2006 at 08:17 PM.
Old 11-24-2006, 07:02 PM
GreekChat Member

WONDERFUL!!! I'm glad the ball is finally rolling!
Old 04-28-2007, 04:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Actually, the first step in the process would be to contact the National Heaquarters and check your status.

If you left your chapter owing a balance, you would have to take care of that before you would even be considered for reinstatement.

After that, you should write a letter to the National Council outlining your reasons for resigning and why you want to come back and mail it to the National Headquarters. The letter you write will be presented to NC for review at one of their meetings throughout the year.

The process can take several months since NC only meets 2-3 times per year.

If approved, there is usually a reinstatement fee required. Also, I would hope you would get involved in your local alumnae chapter or chapter association.
Old 04-30-2007, 10:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenobia1852 View Post
Actually, the first step in the process would be to contact the National Heaquarters and check your status.

If you left your chapter owing a balance, you would have to take care of that before you would even be considered for reinstatement.

After that, you should write a letter to the National Council outlining your reasons for resigning and why you want to come back and mail it to the National Headquarters. The letter you write will be presented to NC for review at one of their meetings throughout the year.

The process can take several months since NC only meets 2-3 times per year.

If approved, there is usually a reinstatement fee required. Also, I would hope you would get involved in your local alumnae chapter or chapter association.
National Council meets in person quarterly. They are in constant contact with each other and the HQ via email and conference phone calls.

There is a DETAILED form to complete and a reinstatement fee that must be sent WITH the form, even before it is on the NC agenda. Contact the HQ to obtain the form. As I said before, I have helped several sisters return HOME after their temporary insanity.
Old 04-30-2007, 10:37 AM
GreekChat Member

There is no form and any reinstatement fee is not due with any form.

Call the HQ for correct information.

770-632-2090
Old 04-30-2007, 11:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenobia1852 View Post
There is no form and any reinstatement fee is not due with any form.

Call the HQ for correct information.

770-632-2090
That is very interesting. The process must have changed in the last 6 months because there used to be a $250 reinstatement fee due at the time form was submitted to NC. I know I helped another sister do it. PM for the name of the person.
Old 09-16-2007, 03:19 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm bumping this again for another update--

I graduated in May and *finally* found a job in August. This past week I drafted a letter to the National Council explaining why I disaffiliated in the first place, and why I would like to be reinstated as an alum. I can finally afford to pay the balance I owed my chapter so I was planning on mailing a check for the full amount in with my letter.

However, I wanted to know if I could get some input on what I said in my letter and if I should change anything around so that it's the absolute best that it could possibly be before I send it off! If anyone is willing to read it over and critique it, that would be great. Just send me a PM and I'll PM you back with what I wrote.

Also, I live in the Cleveland area and I got in touch with Delta Omega chapter at Case and explained my situation--I am going to an event later this month so I can meet some alums and hopefully get more help with finding my way home.