GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Chapter Operations

Chapter Operations Share plans, ideas, and brainstorm problems related to chapter operations. Topics also include parliamentary procedure, national programs, innovations & etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,127
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, asamathattso539
» Online Users: 1,324
2 members and 1,322 guests
asamathattso539, bapitytts7552

Old 04-16-2012, 11:32 AM
GreekChat Member

As everyone said it is a huge time-waster. I can count the number of times I actually studied at study hours on one hand. My chapter's study hours weren't mandatory (unless your GPA was low and you had to bring it up).
Old 04-16-2012, 11:40 AM
GreekChat Member

I loved study tables and my GPA went up when I was required to attend, so I ended up attending even when I wasn't required. I even set up a system for myself when I was in grad school.

But I was (and still am, I guess), a huge nerd. It didn't work for most of the rest of my chapter, but rewarding high GPAs and good performance on quizzes and exams, along with study skills tips and assistance with time management did work for lots of people.

In short - you can't rely on study hours (or I guess in this case "hour's") to do the hard work for you. Implement a full-on scholarship program and you'll probably see better results. Forcing someone to sit in a library for 2 hours a day "just cause" is pointless. There's no point in punishing folks for not attending if their GPA is still at or above the required GPA
Old 10-08-2012, 01:37 AM
GreekChat Member

AFAIK, my chapter only does study hours with pledges as part of Pledge Ed (there's a certain number of required study hours with an initiated sister). In theory it's a great idea, to make sure that schoolwork doesn't get neglected during the pledge term, but I can attest that certain degree programs would not lend themselves well to making study hours useful. For instance--I was in the music school and, much more often than not, had more practicing than written work to do (and I play the piano, not exactly a portable instrument). I could see the same issues for dance, theatre, architecture, art/design, etc. I wasn't asked to complete study hours as a pledge, since I was a founding mother, but I did supervise a few for the music students in my house, and it usually became a social gathering...

(Just something to think about, depending on the distribution of degree programs in your chapter!)
Old 10-08-2012, 10:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Has your chapter looked into swapping required hours? For example, if you are to do your hours in the library, is there an "exception" for folks with majors that require out of class lab time? My campus had a ton of health care majors, and I believe if people did extra lab hours (outside of what was required for class, but basically in preparation for exams) they were not required to complete all of their study hours.

Of course, lots of freshmen take a lot of gen eds which would require "traditional" study time. So it would depend on the courses they were taking, as well. You could work with faculty to devise the "optimal" study program for each major/year, but that's a lot of work. Of course, if your chapter doesn't have a full-on scholarship program, it might be worth the time. Depends on how big the chapter is and the diversity of majors.

Whatever, I'm a fan of study tables. I've already said that. Libraries are my safe space.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:44 PM
Super Moderator

OP, please review the following link and then consider editing this thread's title.

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/apostrophe
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 10-08-2012, 01:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
OP, please review the following link and then consider editing this thread's title.

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/apostrophe
The OP hasn't posted since May. (Maybe she's been in mandatory study hours.) And I thought only mods could edit thread titles.

But otherwise, Amen!
Old 10-08-2012, 02:41 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
The OP hasn't posted since May. (Maybe she's been in mandatory study hours.) And I thought only mods could edit thread titles.

But otherwise, Amen!
I can't believe I allowed a misplaced apostrophe to stand unchallenged in May. Where was I?
Old 10-08-2012, 03:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
I can't believe I allowed a misplaced apostrophe to stand unchallenged in May. Where was I?
Post #3 in this thread.
Old 10-08-2012, 03:42 PM
Super Moderator

Okay then, never mind, I was on my game.
Old 10-08-2012, 04:05 PM
GreekChat Member

But what's going on with you today?
Old 10-08-2012, 04:21 PM
Super Moderator

Fair point.
Old 09-05-2013, 05:13 PM
GreekChat Member

What my sorority did last semester was require sisters with lower GPA's to schedule one-on-one study sessions with one of the eboard members. (We're a tiny local sorority, which I'm sure is the only reason why that worked.) As an eboard member, though, that was a huge hassle. What kind of rewards and incentives have you guys done for high GPA's and good performance on exams?

Also, we currently have a sister on academic probation and we're not really sure how to help her. Anyone have any ideas?
Old 09-05-2013, 05:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanon View Post
What my sorority did last semester was require sisters with lower GPA's to schedule one-on-one study sessions with one of the eboard members. (We're a tiny local sorority, which I'm sure is the only reason why that worked.) As an eboard member, though, that was a huge hassle. What kind of rewards and incentives have you guys done for high GPA's and good performance on exams?

Also, we currently have a sister on academic probation and we're not really sure how to help her. Anyone have any ideas?
That seems really unreasonable for your executive board. They're supposed to be leaders in the chapter, not babysitters.

Your "scholarship" or similar person should set up a study plan with her, with goals. They together (your scholarship person and the sister on probation) should go through all her courses, come up with a study plan that works for each of them based on the assignments for the syllabi (so that she's not freaking out over everything being due at once). Then they should meet monthly to go over progress. A lot of times when a sister is bombing LOTS of courses, it's a case of poor time management, rather than her not being able to hack it intellectually.
Old 09-05-2013, 06:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
It's Friday the 13th weekend.
This will be relevant net week. The rest of this thread will never be relevant again.
Old 09-05-2013, 07:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanon View Post

In addition to the excellent suggestions from agzg, you could also pair her up with someone who is in the same major or can help her with the classes she struggles in, rather than random eboard people. You could help her find a tutor if nobody in the chapter can help- help her find the resources on campus.