GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life > Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Introductions New to GreekChat? This is where you can introduce yourself to the GreekChat community.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,320
2 members and 2,318 guests
Pinkmagnolia921, Xidelt

Old 09-25-2016, 09:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Getting fomo for not preffing the other sorority

I joined sorority A but i'm getting bad fomo(fear of missing out) for not putting sorority B as my first choice. I like the one I'm in now but I have not been initiated yet and can still resign and rush again next fall. The one I'm in now has a great reputation nationally but the other one has a better reputation regionally and nationally. Plus, I love their theme and colors and philanthropy a little more. Only reason I did not join was because here at my university specifically it's not top tier. I'm very involved in non-sorority stuff and no not need a sorority to feel involved, so I figured if I'm gunna be in one, it might as well be a good one. I'm not sure what to do
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-25-2016, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catfish View Post
I joined sorority A but i'm getting bad fomo(fear of missing out) for not putting sorority B as my first choice. I like the one I'm in now but I have not been initiated yet and can still resign and rush again next fall. The one I'm in now has a great reputation nationally but the other one has a better reputation regionally and nationally. Plus, I love their theme and colors and philanthropy a little more. Only reason I did not join was because here at my university specifically it's not top tier. I'm very involved in non-sorority stuff and no not need a sorority to feel involved, so I figured if I'm gunna be in one, it might as well be a good one. I'm not sure what to do
Um.

Did you just say you are having FOMO over colors?

But in all seriousness: You need to give things some time.

If you were not 100% sure of your decision, you are going to have SOME initial "did I do the right thing?" going on. Recruitment is an intense week and you're making a lot of decisions really quickly.

Some steps to determine if you made the right decision:

1. Log off of social media.

2. Stop the constant flood of snapchats/instagram posts, etc. of what everyone in sorority B is doing.

(Seriously. That is where most kids get FOMO. When dinosaurs roamed the Earth, we could only get FOMO from actually SEEING Sorority B out and about or seeing pics on website. You have a constant eye into every single second of every single person's activity within this sorority.)

3. Actually make an effort to get to know folks in sorority A.

5. See if you still feel the same way in 3 weeks.

6. If yes, re-evaluate.

Lakers Nation.
Old 09-25-2016, 09:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh, KSUViolet06, you NAILED it. Catfish, you ARE in a good sorority. Live in the here and now, with the sisters you actually have, and make the most of this while you actually have it in your possession. Life's too short to try and sort out all the might-have-beens. Trust me, you're in a good spot right where you are. Enjoy it!
Old 09-25-2016, 09:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Not to mention there is no guarantee you could get a bid for the other group next year..or any group for that matter. What you have may be all you ever get. Are you willing to take that chance????
Old 09-25-2016, 09:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by catfish View Post
Ugh to the statement in bold. They're all good ones.

You're focusing way too much on reputations and ideas that outsiders have of these two sororities, but you need to focus on what you want.

And if you're going to drop and re-rush, please don't do so simply because of colors and symbols. Look at the women who are in your chapter. These are the people that make the sorority what it is, not a tote bag with an owl on it, or a bracelet with a lyre charm.

@~/~~~~
Old 09-25-2016, 10:16 PM
GreekChat Member

You don't even know that if you had ranked the other chapter #1, that you would have actually gotten a bid from them. For all you know, you could have ranked them #1 and ended up in the house you're already in.

Recruitment is an intense emotional process, but I really do believe PNM's end up where they are meant to be. Something about your experience with your chapter made you rank them 1st when you filled out your pref card...go with that!!

Instead of stalking the other chapter on Instagram, get together with your fellow new members to eat, study, hang out at the house, etc. You have to put effort into your membership to get something out of it- and that's the truth for ALL chapters on every campus!
Old 09-26-2016, 11:55 AM
GreekChat Member

You like your current chapter. Stay where you are.
Old 09-26-2016, 02:12 PM
GreekChat Member

This isn't for real, is it?
Old 09-26-2016, 02:17 PM
GreekChat Member

^^^ didn't think so, especially given the username.
Old 09-26-2016, 03:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTheta View Post
^^^ didn't think so, especially given the username.
That's the first thing I thought before I even clicked on the thread to read it.

True and Constant