GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Kappa > Kappa Sigma
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,429
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Zae_TheCreator
» Online Users: 2,171
0 members and 2,171 guests
No Members online

Old 04-13-2004, 03:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Hometown: Vallejo, Moving to Sacramento in the fall
Send a message via AIM to PiLove Send a message via Yahoo to PiLove
Fictional Kappa Sigma "tell-all" published

Hi there Kappa Sigs!! I'm an ADPi from CSU Sacramento and I just thought ya'll might wanna see this if you haven't already.

A new book was recently published by Brad Land called
"Goat: A Memoir"

Here is a description from Amazon.com

"When Brett leaves for Clemson and joins a fraternity, Kappa Sigma, the author follows, thinking it will help him fit in with others and heal, but barbaric hazing rituals of humiliation and intimidation revive the phobias linked to his abduction. As the abuse against new pledges ("goats") continues, Land questions the value of the frat group's thinking, the surrendering of one's will to violence and his desperate need to belong, especially after another pledge dies of a heart attack following an intense round of hazing......."

If you want to see the book for yourself go to
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1400060931/qid=1081838697/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_1/102-1153967-6173716
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-16-2004, 10:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to docetboy Send a message via Yahoo to docetboy
Thanks, I remember hearing about this earlier. When the book first came out, there was a bunch of research done and found out that the author has never been associated with Kappa Sigma - He was never a member, a pledge, or offered membership.

Best thing to do with this book is to laugh at the description, then ignore it.

Old 04-16-2004, 11:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to James Send a message via AIM to James
He faked being a kappa sigma? No wonder people beat him and left him for dead.
Old 04-17-2004, 01:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via AIM to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via Yahoo to AchtungBaby80
Didn't they publish an excerpt from that book in GQ several months ago? Because I'm pretty sure I remember reading it...it was pretty graphic stuff, but it also seemed like something out of "The Skulls" or something. I couldn't believe it at the time...but no wonder, if it's fake.
Old 01-30-2009, 06:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Oh, pity I didnt see this earlier. It's really a good one. Thanks for the info.
Old 11-23-2009, 03:50 AM
GreekChat Member

I got a copy from Amazon... I wouldn't exactly call it a "Tell-all" about the Fraternity... The Star and Crescent was quoted once on a filler page between chapters, and there was like a paragraph talking about how he received his copy of the Docet and he quoted the "If you feel you are being hazed contact nationals" bit and how its acceptable to call us Kappa Sig. Other than that, just generic hazing crap ("We had to clean toilets with toothbrushes while the brothers yelled at us") that you'd expect to see from any Greek story...

The story itself was alright... It was more him confronting personal daemons (he was having issues coping with having been car jacked & beaten semi-severely) than being about the Fraternity. Like at one point he was to stay away from the brothers, but he kept seeing their faces leering in the dark corners, joining in with the 2 guys who car jacked him...
Old 11-23-2009, 06:18 PM
GreekChat Member

It is interesting, however, that the SEC revoked Kappa-Upsilon's (i.e., Clemson chapter's) charter a couple of years ago after a very nasty disagreement / dispute between the SEC (and/or other powers that be in the Fraternity) and the chapter and its alumni. Although I am not positive about it, I do believe that the dispute was over a risk management - Code of Conduct matter, or a series of them.