GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Kappa Alpha

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,425
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, zenjaminusasdz5
» Online Users: 2,779
2 members and 2,777 guests
redkingpin

Old 05-31-2000, 01:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb Helpful Tips

Sorors and Sisterfriends,

As I was reading through the posts under the "copa" thread, I thought it would be great if we could share some helpful tips with one another. It doesn't have to be beauty tips, but anything you would like to share that has worked for you. Pass it on!

My first tip:

Whenever I find articles I want to hold on to but not the magazine, I tear them out. I have a 3-ring binder with page protectors that I slip the articles into. Then, I use tabs/dividers to keep the subjects separated. I have the sections divided into several categories like health, beauty, travel, finance, foods/recipes, etc. It really has been a handy resource for articles I want to refer back to.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-01-2000, 03:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Soror AKAtude we are here (*I am doing to hand to eye thing*). I do the exact same thing with articles; but I wasn't doing the plastic protector yet - thanks for that bit of info.....

LadyAKA
Old 06-01-2000, 04:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Wink

Soror LadyAKA, I know that we get along so well for a reason.
Old 06-01-2000, 06:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking

Soror Akatude,
Thank you for that wonderful idea. Now I can throw away all those magazines. Also, I thank you and others for the good words.

Old 06-01-2000, 07:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation

Drinking lots of water, eating lots of fruits and veges, and sweating it out(running, tae bo, aerobics, etc). Is the only way to lose weight and feel good, trust me I know. My point: don't always take the short cut!
Old 08-31-2000, 10:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Yes, I am bringing up all old topics today - sorry. But I have a question and those out there with suggestions please chime in. Before I start thinking I have a aliment (sp.) in my body I want to know what I can try and do to get my nails healthy looking. Right now my nails (entire nail bed) are yellow, and it looks gross. I do not where tips, used to but that was ages ago. I let others give me manicures once in awhile, but mostly I do my nails by myself every Sunday, could I just need some new items to work with. Do any of you soak your nails in anything??
Old 08-31-2000, 11:50 AM
GreekChat Member

When I used to wear nailpolish a lot...when I removed it my nails seemed to have a yellowish hue to them. So I stopped wearing colored polish and just wore the clear stuff and they are now back to normal. If I do put color on them I only wear it for a day or so. So it could be something to do with the color in the polish. But nail color can sometimes be a sign of something else ...so I would either talk to my doc or talk to a pharmacist and maybe they can recommend something for you to do.
Old 08-31-2000, 01:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile

Ladies, I am the self proclaimed Queen of cheap. I'm always looking for beauty/hair supplies that cost as less money as possible.

I have tried nearly all of the hair care products (from Suave to Nexxuss) and can I tell you what line of hair care products I've found to work superbly?
AVON!! That's right, I lie to you not! Avon is cheaper and actually leaves my hair in better condition than the more expensive brands. Especially the conditioner, it leaves my hair so healthy and full of shine! They need to have an infomercial for Avon hair products, I'll be the first person to endorse it.

LadyAKA, I hear vitamin E oil caplets work wonders for brittle, yellow nails...these same caplets are good for your hair as well (the caplets are filled with vitamin E oil that you can appy where ever you need it)

I want to try the Copa products too, but y'all know when Debbie Allen shows the after results of her daughter's hair...it don't look that much different from the before shots.
Old 08-31-2000, 09:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Arrow

S.Mocha -> just a question, are you talking about AVON or avalon (wait I am not even sure of the name now), i so confused :-(

Oh and thanks for the tip about vitamin E
Old 09-01-2000, 12:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Thanks Catwoman!! Oh and I always were clear polish. Since my nails are not long I hate the way polish looks on my skin, cause that is the only place the polish gets on - LOL...but thanks, any other suggestions, I am going to call up my doc for an appointment now.
Old 09-01-2000, 02:27 PM
GreekChat Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Sexy Mocha:
Ladies, I am the self proclaimed Queen of cheap. I'm always looking for beauty/hair supplies that cost as less money as possible.

Sexy Mocha, I am there with you! I am into inexpensive products that WORKS. And believe me, they are out there! I have been using Thermasilk conditioners, and it works wonderfully!
Old 09-01-2000, 02:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Avon has some good products, especially skin so soft (i love it) and their parfums are wonderful. imari, women of the earth, perceive, and the list goes on. now with the hair products i tried some and didn't care for it, but they just came out with a new line for black hair, i havn't tried it yet. have any sorors or sisterfriends tried their new black hair line? what do you think?
Old 09-03-2000, 12:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Maria, girl, I love Thermasilk!!

LadyAKA, I was referring to Avon

I didn't know Avon came out with a line of hair products for us black folk...I have to go immediately to my Avon rep.
But you ladies know what hair care product is really the bomb? That entire line of Frizz Ease... especially their No Frizz serum...it's best for that awkward time when you really need a perm, but it's too soon to get another one.
Someone also told me that taken the right vitamin supplements is the best thing we can do for our hair, nails, skin etc. In addition to topically applying lotions with vitamin e or using shampoos with Pro B vitamins, we should start from the inside out and let the vitamins do the job the way it was intended.

[This message has been edited by Sexy Mocha (edited September 02, 2000).]
Old 09-04-2000, 03:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Finer Woman10-A-91 Send a message via Yahoo to Finer Woman10-A-91
Hello Sister AKAs and friends,
I too love nail polish. I tend to stick to very neutral colors...french manicure to warm browns and occasionally something funky. Keep in mind the yellowish color often left on one's nails is from nail polishes that contain formaldehyde. Most bottles are actually labeled "formaldehyde free". Always, always buff and apply a base coat to your nails. A really nice treat is soaking your nails in olive oil or applying vitamin e gel to the base.
Quote:
Originally posted by Catwoman:
When I used to wear nailpolish a lot...when I removed it my nails seemed to have a yellowish hue to them. So I stopped wearing colored polish and just wore the clear stuff and they are now back to normal. If I do put color on them I only wear it for a day or so. So it could be something to do with the color in the polish. But nail color can sometimes be a sign of something else ...so I would either talk to my doc or talk to a pharmacist and maybe they can recommend something for you to do.
------------------
Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Incorporated...Every Finer Woman's Dream!

[This message has been edited by Finer Woman10-A-91 (edited September 04, 2000).]