GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Entertainment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Entertainment TV, movies, music, books, sports, radio...

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,446
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, ageldarkz5086
» Online Users: 1,542
2 members and 1,540 guests
naraht

Old 06-17-2023, 06:11 PM
Super Moderator

PBS Documentaries

Curious to know if anyone else enjoys these, and which are your favorites.

Personally, I love Ken Burns' masterpieces, but have to take the "darker" ones a little at the time. LOVE his Country Music !
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-17-2023, 06:40 PM
GreekChat Member

I like the series American Experience and American Masters.
Old 06-17-2023, 07:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for starting this thread. I’ve been watching Frontline PBS.
Trump For Prison 2024-2084 MAGA!
Old 06-17-2023, 08:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Frontline is one of my favorites! Especially since they started putting episodes up on Youtube.

Since 1888

If I can get a bid so can you; a longer recruitment story
Old 06-17-2023, 08:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookiez17 View Post
Frontline is one of my favorites! Especially since they started putting episodes up on Youtube.
Yep. I subscribe to PBS on YT. They have something new quite often.
Old 06-20-2023, 12:52 AM
GreekChat Member

I’m up watching this on Frontline PBS. This is the very reason why I won’t drive behind or around semi trucks if I don’t have to. So dangerous.
https://youtu.be/1LyaWzOesXk
Old 06-20-2023, 06:57 AM
GreekChat Member

I love PBS! The Ken Burns series on the “History of Baseball” remains one of my favorites.
And cheerfulgreek, the series on the dangers of semi truck rigs has really hit home with me; I thought about it as we drove back and forth to Nashville, TN, over the weekend.
Old 06-20-2023, 10:39 AM
GreekChat Member

I watch a lot of American history. I don’t necessarily focus on PBS specifically, but I’m currently watching a series on the Ku Klux Klan that just happens to be by PBS. It’s really interesting.
https://youtu.be/D4ZF70ogq0I
Old 06-20-2023, 10:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerfulgreek View Post
I’m up watching this on Frontline PBS. This is the very reason why I won’t drive behind or around semi trucks if I don’t have to. So dangerous.
https://youtu.be/1LyaWzOesXk
CG, did you see this one? I thought you’d find it interesting knowing that you reside in Minnesota and subscribe to PBS.
https://youtu.be/XWQfDbbQv9E
Old 06-20-2023, 12:44 PM
GreekChat Member

I mostly watch PBS, non-fiction and dramas. (I mostly watch on Passport, which comes with a donation to your local PBS station.)

I loved the American Experience about the origins of the game Monopoly. The US & the Holocaust was excellent (though I had to watch an episode of Mary Berry's Favorites after each one, since they made me angry.) And the Ben Franklin one was terrific.
Old 06-20-2023, 03:55 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrozen Sands View Post
I watch a lot of American history. I don’t necessarily focus on PBS specifically, but I’m currently watching a series on the Ku Klux Klan that just happens to be by PBS. It’s really interesting.
https://youtu.be/D4ZF70ogq0I
It looks interesting! I'll be watching it during the next baseball game...

LOVING how many other people enjoy documentaries of all sorts!! I knew I could count on the intellectually curious of GreekChat!
Old 06-20-2023, 05:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iota_JWH View Post
I mostly watch PBS, non-fiction and dramas. (I mostly watch on Passport, which comes with a donation to your local PBS station.)

I loved the American Experience about the origins of the game Monopoly. The US & the Holocaust was excellent (though I had to watch an episode of Mary Berry's Favorites after each one, since they made me angry.) And the Ben Franklin one was terrific.
Some of those Holocaust documentaries are crazy insane, and really disturbing to watch. They leave very little out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychile View Post
It looks interesting! I'll be watching it during the next baseball game...

LOVING how many other people enjoy documentaries of all sorts!! I knew I could count on the intellectually curious of GreekChat!
You’ll find it interesting, honeychile. A lot of facts were mentioned that I knew nothing about. It’s a two part series. When you watch the first part, the second part will also automatically show. I enjoyed it. I always love learning new things.
Old 06-20-2023, 07:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGD-GRAD View Post
I love PBS! The Ken Burns series on the “History of Baseball” remains one of my favorites.
And cheerfulgreek, the series on the dangers of semi truck rigs has really hit home with me; I thought about it as we drove back and forth to Nashville, TN, over the weekend.
I’m so glad it was on your mind, that way you’re being extra careful, PGD-GRAD. I especially avoid being around them during the winter months because they can jack knife.
Quote:
CG, did you see this one? I thought you’d find it interesting knowing that you reside in Minnesota and subscribe to PBS.
https://youtu.be/XWQfDbbQv9E
I have not seen that one. Thank you for posting it, Phrozen. I will definitely watch it tonight. My daughter loves dinosaurs so she and I have been watching a PBS 4-part series on them. She wants to be a paleontologist and she’s only 6. — she asked me once… “Mom, if dinosaurs didn’t die, would you be able to help them if they were sick?” lol
Old 06-20-2023, 08:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerfulgreek View Post
My daughter loves dinosaurs so she and I have been watching a PBS 4-part series on them. She wants to be a paleontologist and she’s only 6. — she asked me once… “Mom, if dinosaurs didn’t die, would you be able to help them if they were sick?” lol
Lol she sounds like a cute, smart kid. That’s actually a good question. Did you tell her that you could? You’re a vet, so could you? Don’t reptiles get fleas, ticks and viruses??

Last edited by Phrozen Sands; 06-21-2023 at 12:27 AM.
Old 06-20-2023, 10:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Lol she sounds like a cute, smart kid. That’s actually a good question. Did you tell her that you could? You’re a vet, so could you? Don’t reptiles get fleas, ticks and viruses.
Thank you, Phrozen. Yes, she is smart.

Well, a lot of the parasites that plagued the dinosaurs have gone extinct, so I’d only be able to go off of modern fleas/ticks and other present day parasites behavior. I mean, if we’re talking dinosaurs and fleas for example …. fleas can be enticed to take blood from lizards, but they generally will not seek out reptiles in nature, probably because there’s little place for concealment. But, if dinosaurs had permanent or semi-permanent resting areas, then I would think these areas made ideal domains for flea larvae. So, it’s possible that a few flea larvae actually developed under the skin of dinosaurs, just as some do today on mammals.

And back then, fleas could have also possibly mechanically transmitted viruses to dinosaurs just as present day fleas do the myxomatosis virus of rabbits. I’m just guessing though.

It’s hard to determine if I could or not, but I told her yes because she already thinks I’m Super Mom.

ETA: this is the series she’s been watching on PBS.
https://youtu.be/i5cXQj80PxM

Last edited by cheerfulgreek; 06-20-2023 at 11:19 PM.