GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Community Service / Philanthropy
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,414
1 members and 2,413 guests
PGD-GRAD

Old 03-29-2002, 09:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to equeen
Mmmmm, cookies....i

I just bought 4 more boxes...can't resist!

I found my Senior G.S. uniform while I was home the other day...I actually put every single badge and patch and pin I'd ever earned on it...it's amazing how much a girl does and goes through in ten years.

Anyone on the boards involved in the Magic or Midland Empire Councils? Just curious, it's a long shot, but ya never know!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-29-2002, 01:10 PM
GreekChat Member

useless but fun and cool fact:

The national president of the Girl Scouts of the USA is a Kappa Delta. She was a member of the now-defunct chapter at Lawrence University, Appleton, Wisconsin. Their former chapter room is now the Kappa room.
Old 06-27-2002, 09:53 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm so glad you guys did this forum. I was a girl scout from the time I was in first grade until I graduated!! It was fantastic! I do agree though it is a shame that they have a hard time retaining it's older members...the funny thing is that I switched troops about 3 years after I changed schools and found out that most of my friends were in my new troop...we were the largest in the council with about 23 girls. I really think that all NPC groups should actively participate in the organization because of it's dedication to women and to the development for leadership. I had both styles of troops, ones that liked to go camping and the ones that wouldn't know how to start a fire, but they all were rewarding. Also we used to help faciliate a day camp for one week each year. We would assist troup leaders with their troops, I had sooo much fun doing it that I have been trying to become a leadre, but sdaly I don't want to commit myself without being able to make sure I can make the time commitment (I plan on it when I find a steady job!)!! sorry to yap, I just didn't realize how many gs's there were on this board!!
Old 07-11-2002, 07:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to nyrdrms
Girl Scouts and Sororities

I work at a day care center during the summers and the kids there often ask me what Gamma Phi Beta is when they see me wearing a sorority shirt. I've tried to tell them that it is a sorority, but that's not a concept they understand yet (they're aged 5-12). So I started telling them that sororities were similar to Girl Scouts but for college students (I, too, was a scout until I moved to Virginia in high school)...it's an organization of girls that do things together for the community and have a lot of fun as well....then the boys started asking if there was a "boy scouts" in college, and that's how they learned about fraternities.

I've seen many similarities between my days as a girl scout and my life now as a sister of a sorority. Both organizations have provided so much for me. (I was also in Job's Daughters, which is something else that is kind of like sorority).
Old 05-15-2006, 02:57 PM
Super Moderator

I'm going to sign up to do some summertime volunteering since I'm out of school.
Old 05-15-2006, 04:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sageofages
Quote:
Originally posted by dzsaigirl
The Girl Scouts are a LOT like sororities.

You get a badge.
You pay dues.
There are weekly meetings.
There is a promise and law.
There is a GS handshake.
You have ceremonies like bridging, etc.
There are colors.
We learned about our founders and our history. <a href = "http://www.girlscouts.org/about/history.html"</a>
Girl Scouts encourages alumni participation.
Troops normally start at schools.
You do service projects.

I totally think G S of A is like a sorority for little girls. I was a girl scout for 8 years and I feel that it inspired me in the same way that my sorority has.

Actually, Kappa Delta volunteers with the girl scouts, which is really cool I was looking at the GSA website and there was a pic of a KD in her letters...way to go greeks

I am glad that someone started this thread 'cause I have been in awe of the similarities since I joined DZ.
Little pet peeve here....being a 39 year member of the GIRL SCOUTS OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA..or GSUSA.

The BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA or BSA often causes the confusion in the abbreviation.

Thanks for your understanding
Old 05-15-2006, 04:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Girl Scout leaders

Quote:
Originally posted by SilverTurtle
I was a Brownie & then crossed the bridge to Girl Scouts . I was never really satisfied with my particular troop, because I was into the camping & outdoor things, and most of my troop was into sewing & stuff. (We were the troop that stayed in the house with electricity when we went camping ). So when I moved to middle school I, too, left Girl Scouting. I don't, and never have, regretted my time as a Scout, though. It was fun, and I did learn to play with girls (I alway make friends with boys )

My little was a Girl Scout all through high school, and did all kinds of interesting things. She now teaches art and just a few weeks ago started a troop at her school. In another week or 2 they become official!

She was showing me the "new" badge book, and there are some COOL things in there! There are badges on your family (cultural) history, badges on outdoor sports, and anything in between.

And who can resist those cookies?
Dispelling myths...

BROWNIES are GIRL SCOUTS!

Think of it as the age level as the first name and "Girl Scouts" as the last name...

Daisy Girl Scout
Brownie Girl Scout
Junior Girl Scout.

No longer Cadette or Senior Girl Scouts. Now they are Studio 2B....but that is another topic!
Old 05-15-2006, 05:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Scandia
I was a Girl Scout from second till sixth grade.

I left in the seventh grade. I NEVER thought they were dorky and I always admired them very much. However, there was no troop at my school- it was through my church. My school was from 7th to 12th grade. And the girls at my school DID think that Girl Scouting was dorky indeed. I do wish they had them at my school- it was a community service activity in a way. And it encouraged self-esteem and personal development. Maybe had they had Girl Scouts, those girls would have talked about something other than boys.

But there was hope left for me. In college I joined Alpha Phi Omega, which IS affiliated with the Boy Scouts.

Maybe that is why GLOs appeal to me so much. I had such a positive experience in the Girl Scouts that I would not have traded it for anything in the world.

Theta Phi Alpha
Old 05-15-2006, 11:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Girl Scout leaders

Quote:
Originally posted by sageofages

No longer Cadette or Senior Girl Scouts. Now they are Studio 2B....but that is another topic!
Minor hijack.. from our Council's web page they say

"6) STUDIO 2B means no more Cadettes and Seniors.
FALSE! Girls can still use those names and all the resources. They can even wear uniforms. STUDIO 2B isn’t changing any of that stuff, it’s just adding a new option"

There is still a Cadette handbook and uniform.

I often marvel at how much alike GSUSA and sororities are. In fact, of the women still very active in our alumnae club, the vast majority were also active in Girl Scouting and/or are leaders now.
Old 05-15-2006, 11:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Re: Girl Scout leaders

Quote:
Originally posted by AGDee
Minor hijack.. from our Council's web page they say

"6) STUDIO 2B means no more Cadettes and Seniors.
FALSE! Girls can still use those names and all the resources. They can even wear uniforms. STUDIO 2B isn’t changing any of that stuff, it’s just adding a new option"

There is still a Cadette handbook and uniform.

I often marvel at how much alike GSUSA and sororities are. In fact, of the women still very active in our alumnae club, the vast majority were also active in Girl Scouting and/or are leaders now.
Our council discourages the Cadette/Senior levels in favor of the Studio 2B.

Perhaps it is individual attitudes
Old 05-16-2006, 12:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Question: Do American Girl Scouts have a program for college aged women? In Canada, we have Link which serves as a bridge between actual Guiding and being a leader.
Old 05-16-2006, 01:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Taualumna
Question: Do American Girl Scouts have a program for college aged women? In Canada, we have Link which serves as a bridge between actual Guiding and being a leader.
Yes it is Campus Girl Scouts.

I served as an adviser to a group at Indiana University for several years (a long time ago).

I so enjoyed that time.
Old 05-16-2006, 01:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Actually it is my understanding that at the last Girl Scout convention they voted to abolish the Cadette and Senior names and refer to girls in that age group as Girl Scouts 11-17. You'll notice that new IPA books are being sold under that title.

Also, if you are interested in Campus Girl Scouts, join their Yahoo group (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/campusgs/) or visit their website (http://www.geocities.com/campusgs/).
Old 05-16-2006, 02:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Long-distance information, give me Memphis, Tennessee!
Girl Scout Promise

On my honor, I will try
To serve God and my country
To help other people at all times
And to live by the Girl Scout Law.

I was a girl scout from 1st through 6th grade.
Old 05-16-2006, 02:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Girl Scout Promise

Quote:
Originally posted by LightBulb
On my honor, I will try
To serve God and my country
To help other people at all times
And to live by the Girl Scout Law.

I was a girl scout from 1st through 6th grade.
Can you still say God in Girl Scouts??

ETA: I remember singing "Johnny Appleseed" in GS

Oh the Lord's been good to me
And so I thank the Lord
For Giving Me, the things I need
The sun and the rain and the appleseed
The Lord's been good to me.

Last edited by AlphaFrog; 05-16-2006 at 02:26 PM.