GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 2,161
0 members and 2,161 guests
No Members online
Closed Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 08:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteRose1912 View Post
Y'all telling me you didn't love this thread? Craziness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
Never saw it before today, but I still think she could have told us what her chapter was. (I think I know who this was, what school she went to and what chapter she is in anyway. It's like playing Clue. I think it's Miss Scarlett in the Study with the
Candlesticks!)
When that thread was posted, many of the regular GCers could identify who the poster was, primarily by the writing style and secondarily by the clues in the story. I actually loved her thread, because the "brutally honest" part of it was being brutally honest about her self and not as a free pass to bash other chapters.

That poster did post a lot under a different name at a time when there weren't many regular posters from her organization. She was pretty frank about some struggles that her chapter was having and it would have been pretty easy to connect some dots for the more causal GC reader.

I am fully annoyed at people who don't post the group they join, because what is the point then? HOwever, I wasn't at all bothered by 20-something keeping that personal. Her story was much more about a personal journey and much less about recruitment. It wasn't necessary to reveal.
Old 04-16-2012, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
Never saw it before today, but I still think she could have told us what her chapter was. (I think I know who this was, what school she went to and what chapter she is in anyway. It's like playing Clue. I think it's Miss Scarlett in the Study with the
Candlesticks!)
20something felt like telling her chapter/school would take away from the thread. She exists though, and it's a real school. I promise lol.

Lakers Nation.
Old 04-16-2012, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKGCaroline View Post
Yep I agree, however my most favourite of Recruitment Stories was Chuck Norris's Recruitment
I concur.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by melindawarren View Post
2. Also, stick to your theme wholeheartedly! Make it a fun story, too.
Although I like the idea for those who aren't too familiar with the theme they may get lost.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mevara View Post
Although I like the idea for those who aren't too familiar with the theme they may get lost.
Oh, totally! My favorite/most inspiring (for me) rush story was TweedleDee199's, and I loved that she named the "characters" instead of just giving everyone a random name. That's more what I meant.

MelindaWarren aka Bellatrix Lestrange
Wanna follow me on Pinterest? PM me!
"It is our choices that show who we truly are, far more than our abilities."-Albus Dumbledore
Old 04-17-2012, 12:08 PM
GreekChat Member

I never read the Chuck Norris story before...that is a riot!

I'm probably late to the party on this, but aside from private speculation about 20-something's other GC identity, I think that Chuck Norris and 20-something are one and the same.

Last edited by Sciencewoman; 04-17-2012 at 12:13 PM.
Old 04-17-2012, 01:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciencewoman View Post
I never read the Chuck Norris story before...that is a riot!

I'm probably late to the party on this, but aside from private speculation about 20-something's other GC identity, I think that Chuck Norris and 20-something are one and the same.
They're not.
Old 04-17-2012, 05:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Maybe on the first post we should list examples of good rush stories.
Old 04-17-2012, 05:23 PM

I think what people fail to realize about being "honest" in your recruitment thread is that honesty doesn't = bashing chapters.

It means honestly reflecting on your own issues/misjudgments throughout the process as well.

If I had to name some great threads to read, I'd recommend:

Curlygirly. Honesty without rudeness.
AlwaysSAI. A very good story about what happens when things don't end with a bid.
Senusret I. NPHC perspective that we don't always get. Helpful if you're interested in an NPHC.
20something. Honest about not just chapters, but her own attitude.

Lakers Nation.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:39 PM
GreekChat Member

After reading these tips and many recruitment stories I absolutely cannot wait to post my own! I would start posting it today if I didn't think the GCers would kill me for starting a recruitment story almost 2 months before the start of rush!
Old 06-22-2012, 12:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie93 View Post
When that thread was posted, many of the regular GCers could identify who the poster was, primarily by the writing style and secondarily by the clues in the story. I actually loved her thread, because the "brutally honest" part of it was being brutally honest about her self and not as a free pass to bash other chapters.

That poster did post a lot under a different name at a time when there weren't many regular posters from her organization. She was pretty frank about some struggles that her chapter was having and it would have been pretty easy to connect some dots for the more causal GC reader.

I am fully annoyed at people who don't post the group they join, because what is the point then? HOwever, I wasn't at all bothered by 20-something keeping that personal. Her story was much more about a personal journey and much less about recruitment. It wasn't necessary to reveal.
I know exactly who you are talking about, and I could figure out by reading the thread that it was a poorly kept secret.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 06-24-2012, 02:26 AM

Until the bid is physically in your hand, I personally think sharing one's ongoing recruitment is a bad idea. You never know who is reading the thread, and who has figured it out (or misunderstood something and you're now deemed to be "damaged goods").

But to each their own....
Old 06-24-2012, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaGirlPNM View Post
After reading these tips and many recruitment stories I absolutely cannot wait to post my own! I would start posting it today if I didn't think the GCers would kill me for starting a recruitment story almost 2 months before the start of rush!
Here's some advice: WAIT. Word vomit it all out on your PRIVATE PAPER JOURNAL, and then (then = after rush, better yet, after initiation) if you still feel compelled to share your feelings with the world, do so.

I've kind of gotten to the point where I think rush story threads are more harm than good. (Except for Chuck Norris and Sen's, of course.)
Old 06-24-2012, 04:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Here's some advice: WAIT. Word vomit it all out on your PRIVATE PAPER JOURNAL, and then (then = after rush, better yet, after initiation) if you still feel compelled to share your feelings with the world, do so.

I've kind of gotten to the point where I think rush story threads are more harm than good. (Except for Chuck Norris and Sen's, of course.)
As much as it kills me (I'm not very patient) I will be waiting until after bid day to post my story as I would hate for something like that to accidentally ruin my rush! I will be writing it at night after each round. I figure writing my feelings all out might help me de-stress a little during rush. I have really appreciated and enjoyed reading the stories other people have posted (especially girls who have gone through rush at Bama) and it had given me more insight on what to expect.
Old 06-24-2012, 04:36 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaGirlPNM View Post
As much as it kills me (I'm not very patient) I will be waiting until after bid day to post my story as I would hate for something like that to accidentally ruin my rush! I will be writing it at night after each round. I figure writing my feelings all out might help me de-stress a little during rush. I have really appreciated and enjoyed reading the stories other people have posted (especially girls who have gone through rush at Bama) and it had given me more insight on what to expect.
That sounds like a good plan. Good luck!