GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Kappa > Kappa Kappa Gamma

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,129
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zavictoiajnr131
» Online Users: 1,191
3 members and 1,188 guests
lauralaylin, naraht, PGD-GRAD

Old 07-10-2001, 03:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile

GTownGirl,
I think those are great ideas! I really like the idea of going back to our highschools. My highschool has assemblies every monday and now that I have heard your idea, I'm thinking that having women, and men from local alumni groups come in and speak about greek life would be a really awesome assembly! Thanks so much for your ideas!!

On another note...Kates and I are posting messages on everyone's forum (A wee bit time consuming, but fun nonetheless! )

Casey
Old 07-10-2001, 08:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ZTAMich
Quote:
Originally posted by GtownGirl98:

2. Along with ads we need to write to Teen Mags about Greek life, talk about rush and hazing, also answer questions that are being asked on here to all of us.

4. We need to return to our high schools and speak with the Sr. class about greek life. I know that my high school had senior days. You can have talk about what you have gained from going greek. Talk about the pride you have on the days you wear letters and when you hear of a sister/brother in the news (I know that everyone I know found out that Amber is an AGD from Survivor 2).

Another thing to express to HS students is that High School Sororities are nothing like College GLO's. I know that some of my sisters weren't going to join a sorority in college because they were either in a HS group or saw the effects of them. Since we have defered rush they were able to see the differences.

a good site to get some good PR out on is Chickclick.com "someone" from GC also posts there and would possibly be upset if we all started posting there but...whatever. You become a member, free like GC, and then click on chickboards. There's a lot of various boards but HigherEduc has the most topics about greek life and could REALLY use some good, positive posts about everything. The ages on the board vary depending on the thread, most of the HigherEduc posts are upperclassmen in HS or college girls...it's a place to start.

In Greek Sisterhood,
Michelle

------------------
~*~to be true to ourselves, to those within and without our circle ~*~
Old 07-10-2001, 09:10 PM
Banned

Thumbs up

I would also be interested in helping out~~on my own

Last edited by Beryana; 09-14-2010 at 02:22 AM.
Old 07-11-2001, 12:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlphaChiS2K
Exclamation

Count me in! I'd be glad to get Alpha Chi Omega involved in such a great cause... Greek life is too important to lose to an outdated stereotype. My sisterhood has taught me more about myself and how to appreciate life than anything else. And if tomorrow they took away all the parties, all the social events, all the Greek Weeks... well, I would be just as involved as I am now. The true foundations of our organizations are things worth defending.

Please email me (papayablue@hotmail.com) with any info regarding the letter campaign... several of my sisters are very talented graphics majors, and I have great family resources as well: one uncle's firm manages nationwide advertising campaigns and another owns a graphics design/t-shirt company/factory, which may be a HUGE help. I want to do all I can to help push this campaign off the ground...

-Maya

------------------
"Heaven doesn't want us, Hell couldn't handle us."
Old 07-11-2001, 11:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

I emailed Casey yesterday, and she already got back to me. I just have to run the idea past the rest of the house, but we've been trying to do the same basic thing all this last year.
Sure, we wrote letters, we wore letters, we had presentations on things that are considered steriotypically (sp?) greek, like drug and drinking abuse, sexual harasment, etc. And the thing that we all agreed on, was that no matter how much we tried, and we still are, if the rest of the houses on campus don't want to get their shit together, then nothing will happen on your campus. No one's views of you will change unless you change, plan and simple.
The VW ad's are killer. Focus on the possitives on how ya'll aren't what people normally think of when they think GLO.

if you guys need anything from me: LrdOL@altavista.com.

much love
Jacob
Risk Management Officer
Lambda Chi Alpha, HZ Chapter, URI.
Old 07-11-2001, 02:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile

YAY! I'm so glad to see so many people jumpin on the bandwagon here!

Jacob, glad to see you on the forum! Welcome!

I went to Chickclick.com, because my job is boring and they give me a computer with free internet - gets a little heated over there, I think I am sticking to greekchat for now!

Kates, I'm done with my posts, do you want me to do any others? I'd do sigma if you want... Let me know if you want me to take some!

talk to you all later!

Casey
Old 07-11-2001, 07:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AOPIHottie Send a message via Yahoo to AOPIHottie
Angry

Casey,

I am in total agreeance!!!(is that a word?) Anyway, I am not a Kappa, but I am an AOPI, and I am very proud to be greek. And I hate it when people get to know me, then when they find out I am greek, say, "oh, you are kidding? You arent the sorority 'type'" whatever that means. and i will admit it, i am 23 years old, and I love Dawson's Creek, but it ticked me off when I heard that comment. And we wonder why memberships are gettting low? Its because of all the 'negative' media. If those people spent one DAY with a chapter and found out not only academically are these groups rewarding, but it helps youth grow as a person. Unfortunantly things like "Animal House" are automatically what people base thier opinion of Greek Life on. They see the bad, not the good of our life. "If you have never been a Greek, then you have NO RIGHT WHATSOEVER to judge us." Wow, that was my soapbox! Count me in-hottie76132@yahoo.com

"There are those who did,
and those who wish they had"
Alpha Omicron Pi

AOPIHottie
Old 07-11-2001, 10:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking

Hello!
I completed all of my posts as well! YEAH!
Work has been busy so I have been unable to get back, but it sounds like we have a bunch of people ready to help. I have gotten some e-mails from people. Kristen-where are you at? I think we should get an e-mail chain going, or we could just do it here...We should start by compiling fun facts about Greek Life, ie: x number of presidents were greek, x number of CEOs are greek, x number of entrpreneurs are greek...and then we can design a Fact Sheet type of thing that we can enclose when we write letters to Media representatives. We need a name for this project! Any ideas? Project Respect. Project Greeks RULE! Project Take Action. I don't know any ideas? I really stink at making up things...
Thanks to everyone!
Kates
Old 07-11-2001, 11:14 PM
Banned

I know that I personally was one of those that decided before getting to college that I wasn't going to join a sorority because I wasn't the 'Sorority type' but I rushed to meet more people

Some other things to mention in the letter to the media is the scholarship money that is available and given out each year. another little thing (well, I think its rather big and neat) is that as far as important stuff the head conservator and myself (conservator in training, GA, etc) for RMS Titanic are members of GLO.
Just my few cents worth. Let me know what I can do. =)

Sarah

Last edited by Beryana; 09-14-2010 at 02:23 AM.
Old 07-11-2001, 11:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to erniegurl00 Send a message via Yahoo to erniegurl00
Hey you can count me in. Just let me know what I can do to help. I was the same way before I came to college. I believed all of those stereotypes and had already decided that I wasn't the right "type" to be in a sorority. Thank goodness some of my friends sat me down and set me straight!

Another thing. I'm not sure if any of you have heard of Bolt (http://www.bolt.com), but it has a good greek page on there. Right now some friends and I are in a "battle" against some anti-greeks. If you're interested in sticking up for the greek side be my guest! I hate having to always stick up for my personality just because I'm in a sorority. I swear no one believes me that I joined because I wanted friendship, and I swear I'm going to scream if one more person asks me if I like my boughten friends! LOL

Pi Phi love and mine,
Erin
Indiana Gamma
Old 07-11-2001, 11:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Question

Question, is this campaign "only" for NPC/NIC groups? I ask because I noticed the post was made in several NPHC org forums, yet the post made specific mention of writing letters to the NPC/NIC. I'm sure it was an oversight as we're all greek and also affected by the media's portrayal of greeks. Just wanted some clarification.
Old 07-12-2001, 09:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Katie - I applaus your effort to proactively make a difference with respect to Greek Image.

I am almost certain I heard something recently about NIC researching the possibility of beginning a positive PR campaign. I'm not sure who is running lead on the project, or what the status is - but before you start writing letters to NIC, you might be able to get a head start by doing a little research and finding out about the initiative.

Just a thought,
Brad Bracken
Membership Development Commissioner
Kappa Sigma Fraternity
Quote:
Originally posted by onekeythatbindsus:
This has been bothering me for a long time, and I just wanted to see if anyone else is as frustrated as I am about this...
I get extremely frustrated with people who are not involved in a sorority or fraternity yet feel the need to make assumptions about greek life and voice them to others.
A few examples:
I was on reading a post on the Sigma Kappa boards where the question "what are sigma's like" was asked. A wide range of replies were posted, but many of them actually "bashed" Sigma Kappa, and made the assumption that every Sigma is the same.
More disturbing:
A very popular television show for highschool as well as college students "Dawson's Creek" I'm sure you've heard of it...one episode at the beginning of the summer, actually I think it was the season finale made a comment that should anger every greek. Dawson was packing up for college when his father said "promise me you won't join a fraternity" And Dawson said, "I can promise you that" That bothered me beyond belief. This particular show reaches almost every teenage student, and comments like that on such popular shows could really do some damage.

Anyone have any thoughts? I have been thinking of writing a letter to the WB network, but I feel like no one will read it, and nothing will be done.

Loyally,
Casey
Old 07-12-2001, 02:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking

I'm back! Sorry--with the wedding and crazy things going on at work, I've been swamped lately.

Casey and Katie--you two rock! Thanks for getting the ball rolling.

I am hard at work trying to locate some of those old VW bug ads... with no luck yet. If anyone has any ideas, let me know.

------------------
Oh, Kappa Kappa Kappa Gamma,
I'm so happy that I am a
Kappa Kappa Kappa Gamma,
Nobody knows . . . how
happy I am!
Old 07-12-2001, 11:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Hello!
First off-Kristen-when is your big day? Has it already been?
Ok, in response to 12dn94dst: I believe that we should include all Greeks, including the NPHC. I too agree that everyone is included in the stereotyping.
Brad-thanks for the heads up. We'll get in touch with the groups to find out what they have been up to.
Casey-should we start to get a draft to send to the different Medias(ex. WB)?
Also, I got a response to a post recommending to send a letter to the Presidents in every organization. I thought this was a great idea but very costly. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Maybe we could do an e-mail but this would have to go through the national organizations, to get every president's e-mail address.
Good to see everyone here!
Katie
Old 07-13-2001, 01:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to HeidiHo
Thumbs up

Hi. I'm Heidi, a Chi-O at the University of Cincinnati. You ladies are so great to come up with this idea. I would love to help in any way I can! Positive PR is long overdue. I'm willing to help in anyway, please just let me know what to do. I'm not busy over the summer at all. No work, no school...I'm bored to be honest. I have tons of time. All I need are some suggestions who to talk to first. Should this start on a chapter level, or by calling nationals? All I need is a general direction and I'll be on it.
HeidiHoXO@hotmail.com
Heidi