GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,042
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, prettyandpearls
» Online Users: 1,764
0 members and 1,764 guests
No Members online

Old 05-19-2012, 02:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernkid View Post
thanks TSteven. You gave the least opinionated answer. I started school last semester and missed spring rush because of a funeral. This summer will be my second semester, this fall i will be a sophomore. I was asking to see what the southern fraternity community thought about my age before brought it up to my frat friends. I know at the school I'm at we do call them frats.., well maybe not the kids.. excuse me., MEN, that take it way too serious. ROLL TIGERS! WAR TIDE!
No boys use the term "frat." It's fraternity. You probably have some serious growing up to do. As many guys I know who are actual fraternity members say about the use of the word frat for fraternity, "You wouldn't call your country a cu**." You've gotten a lot of answers here, so I'm pretty sure you are just trolling. As others have pointed out if you know so many people in said fraternities, why are you not asking them this question?
To seek the truth and defend it always;"
- Dorothy Mumford Williams, The Delta Zeta Creed
Old 05-21-2012, 07:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZTurtle11 View Post
No men in non-NPHC NIC fraternities use the term "frat." It's fraternity.
FYP just in case.

Quote:
You probably have some serious growing up to do. As many guys I know who are actual fraternity members say about the use of the word frat for fraternity, "You wouldn't call your country a cu**."
Tell them that this phrase is stupid and outdated.
Old 05-21-2012, 07:22 AM
GreekChat Member

"Lolly Lolly Lolly..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinydancer View Post
Yeah. Use your goddamn adverbs.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14fXm4FOMPM
Old 05-21-2012, 05:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes!! Grammar Rock rocks!
Old 05-21-2012, 06:11 PM
Super Moderator

OP, somehow i had guessed you were going to Auburn.

You better get hold of your friends in fraternities, because Auburn fraternities have summer rush parties and many of the "frats" will extend bids in the summer and have their pledge classes all sown up before school even starts.

Last edited by FSUZeta; 05-21-2012 at 06:14 PM.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
No boys use the term "frat."
Simply not true. On some campuses and/or in some groups, the word "frat" is quite acceptable and common.

Whether the OP is at one of those campuses is a whole 'nother story.

Quote:
As many guys I know who are actual fraternity members say about the use of the word frat for fraternity, "You wouldn't call your country a cu**."
Arrrrgh! Not that stupid, stupid analogy again?

Just so lame on so many levels.

Last edited by MysticCat; 05-23-2012 at 10:05 AM.
Old 05-23-2012, 12:27 PM
Banned

yeah that's the worst analogy ever, i wasn't gonna say anything but... its like calling the new england patriots the Pats. no different
Old 05-23-2012, 01:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
Arrrrgh! Not that stupid, stupid analogy again?

Just so lame on so many levels.
And it's not even a valid analogy. The word frat is pronounced frat, but the word fraternity is pronounced like fruh-tur-ni-tee. It's not pronounced frat-ur-ni-tee.

So a more accurate analogy would be "You wouldn't call your country a count" which wouldn't be an offensive thing to call your country, just a stupid thing.

PSimissU
Old 05-23-2012, 02:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Eh, let's just say it's a stupid analogy and move on.

Now, back to prepping for my move to NYC, where I will undoubtedly be hailing taximeter cabriolets. I'd just say "taxi", but abbreviated words are evil.
Old 05-23-2012, 02:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
yeah that's the worst analogy ever, i wasn't gonna say anything but... its like calling the new england patriots the Pats. no different
Actually, it is different. "Frat" and "Pats" are similar in that they both originated as a shortened form of a fuller name or designation that could indicate some degree of familiarity and affection. But unlike "frat," "Pats" has no negative connotation.

While "frat" is not an obscenity (which distinguishes it markedly from the "country" analogy), in many places it has come to have a negative connotation. To many members of fraternities, the word "frat" has "frat boy"/"Animal House" associations -- associations from which most fraternities, at least at a national level, have tried to distance themselves. It is also in some places considered a put-down from non-Greeks -- that is to say, Greeks do not say "frat," and they consider it perjorative when they hear non-Greeks say it. (I'm talking here about NIC and similar Greeks. In the NPHC, it's a very different situation.)

It's been discussed many times at GC -- on some campuses, no one will bat an eye if you say "frat." On other campuses, fraternity members might take great offense at it, and it would be a mark against you if, as a rushee, you were heard using the word.

I don't know what the attitude about the word "frat" is within the Greek community at Auburn. I have to say, though, that based on previous conversations about the word, I'd be a little surprised if it the members of the fraternities you have your eye on didn't see it as at least a little disrespectful.

BTW, one bit of advice: Greeks from all over the place read GC. If you've put enough in your posts that someone in a fraternity at Auburn could figure out who you are (22-year-old sophomore coming through rush for the first time, took time off to work between high school and college), then you might want to make sure those posts leave nothing but a good impression of you.

ETA:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog View Post
Now, back to prepping for my move to NYC, where I will undoubtedly be hailing taximeter cabriolets. I'd just say "taxi", but abbreviated words are evil.
Sorry. I didn't see your post until after I posted mine. I was too busy getting some cukes out of the dorm fridge.

Last edited by MysticCat; 05-23-2012 at 02:18 PM.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:26 PM

Quote:
So using the theory of substitution, does this mean the Pats are c&*ts?

Yay, geometry finally comes in handy in real life.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:54 PM
GreekChat Member

I always thought of "frat" as a term that was initially used negatively that greek people use jokingly to take the offensive out of it; see "fratty" and "TFM" and all of those things. They're not serious- no one legitimately brags about being TFTC, it's used facetiously- so it's acceptable to use as someone in the greek community but not okay from someone out of it. After talking to friends from different schools including SEC schools, frat is okay if a fraternity man/sorority woman is using it facetiously but not okay if used by someone outside the system like a PNM. It's like an inside joke in that it's not cool to use if you're not in on it, aka initiated.
Old 05-24-2012, 07:34 PM
Banned

exactly justgowithit. end of story.
Old 05-25-2012, 11:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
exactly justgowithit. end of story.
Well, by what she said, you're in the category of people who shouldn't be using the word "frat."
Quote:
Originally Posted by justgo_withit View Post
After talking to friends from different schools including SEC schools, frat is okay if a fraternity man/sorority woman is using it facetiously but not okay if used by someone outside the system like a PNM. It's like an inside joke in that it's not cool to use if you're not in on it, aka initiated.
Just sayin'.
Old 05-25-2012, 12:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
Well, by what she said, you're in the category of people who shouldn't be using the word "frat."
Just sayin'.

Vaguely related:

During officer elections for a club I'm in, one of the candidates was asked what his time commitments for the next semester would be- he said, "Well I'm in (some random club) and I'm planning on joining fraternity XYZ, which is another club, so it's only two clubs and I should be good to go time-wise." Every greek in the room got quiet, as the president of XYZ quietly said "First, don't ever call it a club. Second, don't ever assume you'll get a bid. Third, I have no idea where you got the idea that you'd have enough time to be an officer in this club while pledging any fraternity but I can assure you that is not the case." Watching people blackball themselves is so painful...