GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,190
1 members and 2,189 guests
Titchou

Old 09-20-2005, 12:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Fire During Rush - Alpha Chi Omega at San Diego State

Firefighters fairly quickly put out a fire at Alpha Chi Omega at San Diego State U. The fire happened on the last day of recruitment, apparently. No injuries, according to an NBC station's report:

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/4994369/detail.html

The women evacuated the premises (in black dresses!) -- just a reminder that those %#*& fire drills can save lives, people.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-20-2005, 12:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Long-distance information, give me Memphis, Tennessee!
Dang! But I'm glad everybody's ok.
Old 09-20-2005, 01:21 AM
GreekChat Member

I just saw the news report on the 10pm news!!! Those are my girls!!!! I'm Alpha Chi Omega's faculty advisor!!!!!!

I am so glad that everyone is ok!

Oddly enough, I'm on Gamma Phi Beta's House Corporation Board and we were discussing fire safety at our meeting last Wednesday. We suggested to the collegiate House Manager that the chapter should have a safety presentation by someone from the local fire department. I went home thinking that might be a good guest speaker to suggest to Alpha Chi Omega too. Unfortunately......

You better believe that my office will be stressing fire safety to everyone this semester!

.....Kelly

True and Constant
Old 09-20-2005, 01:43 AM
GreekChat Member

navane, if you have a moment when you next meet with the Alpha Chis, I think it's safe to say you can pass along a verbal "hug" and good wishes from a whole slew of GCers.
Old 09-20-2005, 09:51 AM

Glad everyone is ok.

Every year before pref, we'd get The Lecture from our Greek Life advisor, that candles were a no-no as they were a fire code violation. Every year, every sorority used them anyway. Heh, maybe the advisor was actually right about something. :/
Old 09-20-2005, 10:09 AM
GreekChat Member

And this is why house corporations won't allow you to keep lit candles in your rooms and why you shouldn't be using real candles during prefs, rituals, etc. Be safe! Prayers and thanks that everyone is safe!!!
Old 09-20-2005, 10:10 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
Glad everyone is OK.

Open flames are banned in all FSU GLO housing. The ATO house burned down, twice, and there were other scares.

Many chapters get those battery operated candles and use those.
Old 09-20-2005, 12:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Does anyone know of a place to get the battery operated candles (that sounds funny) other than at Christmastime?
Old 09-20-2005, 12:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh my gosh, I'm glad they're all OK. People leaving candles burning isn't the smartest thing ever...
Old 09-20-2005, 01:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Luckily no one is living in AXO or Sigma Kappa (which is RIGHT next door) right now because those houses are getting torn down for campus expansion and we are getting moved to sorority row.

Still really scary though because it was during one of their pref parties. I am glad they are all ok.

"You used Ghostbusters for evil!" - Liz Lemon

Last edited by sigmaK619; 09-20-2005 at 02:19 PM.
Old 09-20-2005, 02:16 PM
GreekChat Member

First off, and most important, I am very glad everyone is safe.
---

This should be an 'instant classic' for the Weird rush stories thread. Not to mention the possibilities for future rush themes. "Alpha Chi Omega... Hot girls burning down the house!"

Also, I so love this description from one of the photos (image #3). It is not often we are treated to the use of 'gaggle' in a news report.

A gaggle of women in black cocktail dresses stood across the street from the Alpha Chi Omega sorority in the 5800 block of Montezuma Road while fire crews worked to quell the two-alarm blaze.

navane - If you feel it is appropriate, would you let us know any other details and how the chapter did bid wise?
Old 09-20-2005, 04:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TSteven
navane - If you feel it is appropriate, would you let us know any other details and how the chapter did bid wise? [/B]
This situation occured just as the chapter was beginning their preference party. As you can imagine, all of the Panhellenic chapters suspended pref parties for the night. Bid Day was supposed to be today; however, instead, preference will be conducted tonight. My understanding is that Alpha Chi Omega will be using Sigma Alpha Epsilon's house for pref.

I wouldn't expect this to have a negative effect on AXO's Bid Day. If anything, the PNMs will probably see how the ladies are able to pull the preference ceremony together and how their sisterhood means more to them than the building that burnt.

.....Kelly

True and Constant
Old 09-20-2005, 04:17 PM
GreekChat Member

The San Diego Union Tribune's article on the fire gives a damage estimate of $120,000, and says the fire department attributes the blaze to a candle that ignited a drapery.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/m...-bn20fire.html
Old 09-20-2005, 04:33 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
Quote:
Originally posted by BSUPhiSig'92
Does anyone know of a place to get the battery operated candles (that sounds funny) other than at Christmastime?
Google is your friend: http://snipurl.com/httd

Use the Search, play nice, and don't make me come in there.
Old 09-20-2005, 04:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Great link!

You might also check with your nationals -- all chapters have this rule and most chapters use "candles" at some point for various things like prefs, serenades, ceremonies, etc., so if you can purchase a set of battery-operated tapers and/or battery-operated votives, you'll be in good shape-- and avoid tragedies like the above! Thankfully, in this instance, no one was hurt!!!