GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 884
1 members and 883 guests
Cookiez17
Closed Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 10:28 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't know what happened and DON'T have to access to any secret vault; however, it seems pretty likely that Greek or Geek was someone else's sock puppet.

Can you get banned for that?

Last edited by UGAalum94; 08-19-2012 at 10:49 PM. Reason: Whoops, leaving out the word don't. A pretty big change in meaning, sorry.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-19-2012, 10:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by UGAalum94 View Post
I don't know what happened and have to access to any secret vault; however, it seems pretty likely that Greek or Geek was someone else's sock puppet.

You can.
Old 08-19-2012, 10:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I don't know what happened and have to access to any secret vault; however, it seems pretty likely that Greek or Geek was someone else's sock puppet.

I didn't think you could otherwise wouldn't a lot more names be banned. Sheetcake?

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot
Old 08-19-2012, 10:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Yeah, but Sheetcake is funny.
Old 08-19-2012, 11:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Thank goodness, YES.

But, it ain't no fun if the homies can't have none. Hey moderators, can GC know whose sock puppet it was?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCsweet<3 View Post
I didn't think you could otherwise wouldn't a lot more names be banned. Sheetcake?
Sheetcake was just created for...wait for it...you guessed it...sheet cakes. Its heyday was when we had a number of funny sock puppets that just showed up to be silly. That is not the same as a sock puppet created to give a GC regular "keyboard courage" (I hate that saying but it applies here).

Last edited by DrPhil; 08-19-2012 at 11:21 PM.
Old 08-19-2012, 11:17 PM
GreekChat Member

total swerve (which I'm known for): oh, nevermind.

Well, no... on second thought, this is for DrPhil. I will be sitting in a concert on August 23rd, and it's too bad you won't be joining me: http://youtu.be/x2FDHYKDaE0

Back to the thread topic. Note: I am purposely not commenting on the events of the late 60s-early 70s, other than to say don't blame the hippies. It was way more complicated than that.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 08-19-2012, 11:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzTheta View Post
total swerve (which I'm known for): oh, nevermind.

Well, no... on second thought, this is for DrPhil. I will be sitting in a concert on August 23rd, and it's too bad you won't be joining me: http://youtu.be/x2FDHYKDaE0
Can someone ban AzTheta for being a tease.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzTheta View Post
Back to the thread topic. Note: I am purposely not commenting on the events of the late 60s-early 70s, other than to say don't blame the hippies. It was way more complicated than that.
And while you all are speaking in general, the 1960s-1970s did not have the same impact on BGLOs as it did on the NPC-IFC. While there were people of the African Diaspora who were anti-establishment and did not want to attend college and/or pledge a BGLO, the hippie and Vietnam thing had a greater impact on whites and was far surpassed in the Black communities by things like the Civil Rights Movements (plural), Black Panther Party, Afrikan movements, etc. This led some Blacks to challenge the existence of BGLOs and other Blacks to stress the importance of BGLOs, other Black organizations, and various ways to express Black and African Diasporic cultures.
Old 08-19-2012, 11:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
Can someone ban AzTheta for being a tease.
I could put myself in the corner. Would that work for you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
And while you all are speaking in general, the 1960s-1970s did not have the same impact on BGLOs as it did on the NPC-IFC. While there were people of the African Diaspora who were anti-establishment and did not want to attend college and/or pledge a BGLO, the hippie and Vietnam thing had a greater impact on whites and was far surpassed in the Black communities by things like the Civil Rights Movements (plural), Black Panther Party, Afrikan movements, etc. This led some Blacks to challenge the existence of BGLOs and other Blacks to stress the importance of BGLOs, other Black organizations, and various ways to express Black and African Diasporic cultures.
I would like to read more about this. Off to do research! Learned something tonight, the day was not wasted.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 08-20-2012, 02:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
Your memory is suspect. Alpha Phi, Sigma Kappa, DG, DPhiE, AZD and A E Phi all left! Theta and AOPi came but that's it's. Gamma Phi didn't come back till the 80's. We have more chapters now than ever before.

There are only two additional chapters at UofA that were not there when I attended in the late 70’s – Gamma Phi Beta and Alpha Phi. Thus my statement regarding nearly as many then as now.

A number of chapters on your list closed, returned, and closed again. Two of the most recent closures do not remotely correspond to the historical influences of the Vietnam War and/or hippies. Your list:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fraternities_and_sororities_at_the_Univers ity_of_Alabama

There is probably an interesting discussion to be had regarding the reasons these chapters struggled – I wonder if it has anything to do with in-state girls being reluctant to break tradition, so to speak, and pledge a chapter new to the campus. I wonder if colonizing in other areas of the country – or perhaps outside of the SEC, anyway – is as difficult. It seems to me that the increased numbers of OOS students at Bama will help new chapters.

Quote:
And it was heartbreaking. You have NO idea how it felt to stand in that new house these past two weeks.

I think it is touching that your love for your chapter has come full circle. I anticipate that Delta Gamma will be very successful .

Quote:
And you need to quit talking about MY chapter. I sure as heck wouldn't talk about yours - at least not here on GC.

And I think you need to 'quit talking' about her parenting.

I don’t think you realize how far more personal ridiculing and attacking a mother’s parenting is, especially during such an emotional and stressful week. However much any of us love our chapters, we love our daughters more.

Last edited by Hartofsec; 08-20-2012 at 02:15 AM. Reason: spacing. I surrender.
Old 08-20-2012, 07:03 AM
Super Moderator

OK, let's all simmer down for awhile.
Closed Thread