GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,452
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, saphqueen
» Online Users: 1,550
1 members and 1,549 guests
babobygooglet93

Old 09-07-2012, 12:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovespink88 View Post
Aw, Blue Balcs! I had friends that lived there.
I lived at 211 E. John (I don't remember what those were called), and Johnstown (508 E. John?). I wanted to live in Green Balconies, but got outvoted. In any case, I miss paying $300/month for rent.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-07-2012, 01:07 PM
GreekChat Member

The infamous "blue apartments"! Some of my best friends from the house lived there my junior and senior year in the mid 80s. I couldn't live there because I was abroad and then I wanted to live in the house 1st semester senior year one last time. My 2nd semester senior year apartment was around 5th and Healy by that gross creek where all the homeless guys hung out.

I have a great picture of DG and Theta seniors together on the blue balconies at the "pregame" for the DG-Theta softball game. I wonder if they still have that game? That used to be a blast.

Good luck to all this weekend. Such great memories!
Old 09-07-2012, 01:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovespink88
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
I lived at 211 E. John (I don't remember what those were called), and Johnstown (508 E. John?). I wanted to live in Green Balconies, but got outvoted. In any case, I miss paying $300/month for rent.
Wow, $300 a month! The cheapest I ever payed was $420/month (per person) in '08-'09 and that place was TINY.

The prices at some of those apartments there are absolutely outrageous. The 309 Green building was like $850 per person when it opened my Jr year. So that's a total of $1700 for a 2 bedroom. That's more than my 3 BR apartment in a nice neighborhood in Chicago. I get that those are really nice apartments but IT'S CHAMPAIGN, IL!!!! My parents are glad that my brother is living in his fraternity house for two years, lol
Old 09-07-2012, 04:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovespink88 View Post
Wow, $300 a month! The cheapest I ever payed was $420/month (per person) in '08-'09 and that place was TINY.

The prices at some of those apartments there are absolutely outrageous. The 309 Green building was like $850 per person when it opened my Jr year. So that's a total of $1700 for a 2 bedroom. That's more than my 3 BR apartment in a nice neighborhood in Chicago. I get that those are really nice apartments but IT'S CHAMPAIGN, IL!!!! My parents are glad that my brother is living in his fraternity house for two years, lol
Oh, you're right, I think it was closer to $400/month, but still, $850?!?!? That must be one NICE apartment!
Old 09-07-2012, 05:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IL Anchor Girl View Post
The infamous "blue apartments"! Some of my best friends from the house lived there my junior and senior year in the mid 80s. I couldn't live there because I was abroad and then I wanted to live in the house 1st semester senior year one last time. My 2nd semester senior year apartment was around 5th and Healy by that gross creek where all the homeless guys hung out.

I have a great picture of DG and Theta seniors together on the blue balconies at the "pregame" for the DG-Theta softball game. I wonder if they still have that game? That used to be a blast.

Good luck to all this weekend. Such great memories!
The blue apts were so much fun and I think I saw FB pictures of a Theta/DG softball game from just this spring and they were covered in mud because it was raining. I played in it as well (although I'm not much of a player)
My junior year we had a new freshman that told us she had played alittle softball in high school. Very tall, quiet, pretty, super sweet girl until she pitched that ball...or was behind the bat. She was outrageously good at the game and made for a very easy win that year! I graduated in 1990 so I'm thinking we may of just missed being in the house at the same time.
Living in house was great being so close to the quad but that senior year in the blue apts with 4 other dg's made for a very fun year as well!
Old 09-07-2012, 09:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Looking forward to recruitment starting up tomorrow and hoping the pnms and their moms get some sleep tonight!
Old 09-08-2012, 12:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Another day with big cuts all around - both A and B lost the house that was their favorite after invite 2 and A and B are worried.
A is going back to 6 houses - loves 2 of her houses, likes 1 and isn't sure about the other 3. A has a better attitude today and just seems really worried she will get dropped by everyone.
B is going back to 3 houses - and is super upset that she was dropped by all of the other houses on campus. She actually has 1 house she really loves but I think it's just the overall rejection. She said something like almost 20 houses dropped me
and is sure she will have zero invites tomorrow.
C I haven't heard from yet.
Recruitment is never drama free and everyone that has ever confided in me has had some very big cuts, but they always seem to work out in the end, so I'm hoping the pnms are not taking it too personally and keeping their options open.
Old 09-09-2012, 02:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Heard from my daughter this am…..she was extremely fortunate to have received 3 invites back for this final stage and she really likes all 3. So I am breathing calmer now, knowing that there is a strong possibility that she will get a bid tomorrow. I think this has been a wonderful experience, yet very draining both physically as well as emotionally…
Ring-Ching-Ching!
Old 09-09-2012, 02:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelMom76 View Post
Heard from my daughter this am…..she was extremely fortunate to have received 3 invites back for this final stage and she really likes all 3. So I am breathing calmer now, knowing that there is a strong possibility that she will get a bid tomorrow. I think this has been a wonderful experience, yet very draining both physically as well as emotionally…
Ring-Ching-Ching!
I completely agree on how it is wonderful and draining at the same time... Wishing your D the best for today and tomorrow!
Old 09-09-2012, 03:54 PM
GreekChat Member

…now aren't you sweet?!?!!? thanks for the kind words, arrowlady !!!
Old 09-10-2012, 08:51 AM
GreekChat Member

……and now we wait……..ARGGGGGGG!!!!! deep breaths…….. ha!
Old 09-10-2012, 11:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
……and now we wait……..ARGGGGGGG!!!!! deep breaths…….. ha!
The waiting is the hardest part.. I thought I would crawl out of my skin lol
Old 09-10-2012, 12:02 PM
GreekChat Member

It's finally bid day...so excited for all our ladies!
Old 09-10-2012, 04:00 PM
GreekChat Member

What time do they (hopefully) get their bids? Central Time is fine…..ha!
Old 09-10-2012, 05:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovespink88
Quote:
What time do they (hopefully) get their bids? Central Time is fine…..ha!
At the beginning of recruitment, the website said between 5pm-6pm. Not sure if they have a firm time now.

Since I'm still Facebook friends with a few actives (although they will all be graduated at the end of this year) I got a little sneak preview of our theme via FB statuses. I am OBSESSED but also really sad they didn't do it while I was there. I'll wait until bids go out to reveal

Last edited by lovespink88; 09-10-2012 at 05:34 PM.