GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,455
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, angejnr3364
» Online Users: 2,400
1 members and 2,399 guests
angejnr3364

Old 08-04-2010, 02:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
Where are the pictures people??

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-04-2010, 02:21 AM
GreekChat Member

I don't know how to post pictures, or I would!
Old 08-04-2010, 02:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaggedyAnn View Post
I don't know how to post pictures, or I would!
Nooo problem! You can upload them on http://photobucket.com/. After the upload, they'll provide you the completely IMG link that you can simply post right in the Reply to Thread box here.

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:56 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorAlumna View Post
OMIGOSH yes! I think I still have the 1969 edition. I used to try to save 1 magazine a year, just to go back and laugh at the fashions.
But I hated Seventeen for showing wool skirts and sweaters in August. In Alabama, we have about 2 weeks to wear that stuff...in February.
My friends and I would always want to get those glorious wool outfits for our back-to-school clothes...in Houston, Texas. I particularly remember one lovely butterscotch sweater/skirt combination that I actually got to wear on a cool morning in late October. Of course, I was frying by noon.
Old 08-05-2010, 09:57 AM
Super Moderator

Although this isn't a vintage recruitment wear post, I saw pictures of the PNMs at my oldest daughter's recruitment in 2000 and animal prints were huge that year and all I can say is that they looked like they were getting ready to film "The Lion King". My daughter, along with several others in the pictures, was playing a zebra.
Old 08-05-2010, 10:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by preciousjeni View Post
Where are the pictures people??
Well... I've found some pictures. I would have to scan them & then post them. Don't hold your breath (in other words, I may bump this thread in a month or so, when I get around to figuring out how to do what it is I need to do).

Idea: take the photos to the local chapter (they're always asking to see them anyway) and have an active scan them for me. They are all so technology-savvy.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 08-05-2010, 10:26 AM
GreekChat Member

I flipped through my old AOII scrapbook last night and looked at the pictures from rush- in 1993 for Open Houses I wore a lovely Blue/Green/White/Black plaid shirt with a waffle weave shirt underneath. I am pretty sure the plaid shirt was from the men's side of Abercrombie & Fitch (and if I remember correctly, it wasn't mine- I snagged it from a guy friend's closet). It was paired with black walking shorts and finished off with white ankle socks and Bass Bucks shoes. I look like I just walked out of a Pearl Jam video. Both my friends in the picture are dressed similarly.

Oh the joys of rush during the days of grunge.

Oh, for pref I wore a blue with cream polka dots short sleeved dress with cream hose and blue heels. I still remember my Rho Chi's advice of - NO NUDE HOSE! (nude hose were considered a "cuttable" offense by some).

I would post pictures, but I don't have a working scanner.

So I depart that I may now better serve my fellow man, my country & God
Old 08-05-2010, 10:30 AM
GreekChat Member

My brain is not allowing me to recall a single 1979 rush outfit other than my oh-so-appropriate and virgin-like pref dress: floor length white dotted swiss with cap sleeves.
Old 08-05-2010, 10:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Navy bermuda shorts and kelly green Ralph Lauren polo shirt (which had to be specially purchased at the only store in Nebraska that carried them), collar UP, no doubt, and navy blue bass sandals for open house.

White sleeveless wrinkly cotton dress with ruffle and embroidery, white espadrilles for skit and house tours.

Royal blue skirt and blouse outfit with sleeveless v-neck top with a big ruffle around the v and a ruffle on the bottom of the skirt....can't remember what shoes I wore. I think this was pref. I might be missing a day.

Navy blue and white striped short sleeved wrapdress, navy pumps for bid day, we were told to wear navy blue. Actives wore black dresses. Pictures on the lawn in dresses. Then for our party later, we wore navy shorts and our brand spanking new white Kappa Kappa Gamma SWEATSHIRTS with the sleeves pushed up. In August.

I already had the white dress and loved it. I bought the blue skirt and blouse outfit in Lincoln and went on a pilgrimage to Omaha for the RL polo shirt. I'm pretty sure I had the blue and white striped dress already, too. I know I wore it for years to work and church after college.
Old 08-05-2010, 03:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Late Seventies-- I remember one of my sisters did not pass Wardrobe Check (Yes, we had it!) for Open House one rush. We wore long dresses and it was a garden party theme. I remember the dress she had- navy blue sleeveless poly with bright flowers and a low neckline with a pointy white collar. So she was hunting down an acceptable substitute. I gave her the one I wore the first year I rushed on the other side, which I had also worn to a formal. It was white cotton pique with a bright red floral trim ruffle on the bottom, on the straps (sleeveless) and down the front vertically, with some kind of buttons.

Then I borrowed my former roomate's dress after I went shopping but could not find a Malia-type dress like she told me to last minute. The dress of hers that I wore was a long sleeveless A-line shift in a pink & green small print on a white background. It was very plain but had a large ruffle down the front. I wore it with a hot pink thin leather belt with a gold frog buckle (frogs on both sides, they buckled in the middle, remember those)? I also had a multicolored ribbon belt with large lions that fastened the same way and I wore it everywhere.

I worked at a big department store during the summer and breaks so I always had a discount when I bought my clothes. I wasn't very preppy and got teased for it -this was the south- but I always had fashionable clothes and sisters frequently borrowed from me. I remember one time telling 2 sisters that they could each borrow the same dress for a formal (I forgot) then having to decide who was going to wear it and what the other one could wear. I'll admit that I borrowed clothes, especially shoes too.

I remember being as fixated on clothes and what I was going to wear as these PNM's now seem to be. I think that it is part of life when you are young. I seemed to always be shopping then.
Old 08-05-2010, 04:28 PM
Super Moderator

barbino, was it a pappagallo belt? i had a ton of those with the most exotic "frogs" seahorses, scallop shells, conch shells, etc. all in gold. you could swap the belts and the "frogs" as you wished.gee, i wish i had those now-not that they would fit around my waist!
Old 08-06-2010, 09:55 AM
GreekChat Member

I had that belt as well, ironically enough it was lion heads. My mother also an ADPi had a large lion head pin(Anne Klein) and someone asked her if she was a member of the Lion's club.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverRoses View Post
I flipped through my old AOII scrapbook last night and looked at the pictures from rush- in 1993 for Open Houses I wore a lovely Blue/Green/White/Black plaid shirt with a waffle weave shirt underneath. I am pretty sure the plaid shirt was from the men's side of Abercrombie & Fitch (and if I remember correctly, it wasn't mine- I snagged it from a guy friend's closet). It was paired with black walking shorts and finished off with white ankle socks and Bass Bucks shoes. I look like I just walked out of a Pearl Jam video. Both my friends in the picture are dressed similarly.

Oh the joys of rush during the days of grunge.

Oh, for pref I wore a blue with cream polka dots short sleeved dress with cream hose and blue heels. I still remember my Rho Chi's advice of - NO NUDE HOSE! (nude hose were considered a "cuttable" offense by some).

I would post pictures, but I don't have a working scanner.
Gasp! The nude hose in the 90's were so wrong! Ha! I remember we wore sheer black hose with practically everything. White shoes were also completely passe even in the summer. During the same time period, I only remember what I wore for pref. We didn't have supper formal prefs, so you just wore a church style dress. I was into Yuppie style, so I picked a red dress that was double breasted with a white collar and blue buttons. It had a little blue pocket square so it looked like a little red suit dress. I paired it with white hose and a pair of navy heals. I had super curly hair down to my waist a la Nicole Kidman. My husband laughs when he sees pictures of my hair back then and says I looked like a Pentacostal (no offense to any one of that religion.)

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 08-06-2010, 11:43 AM

I never did get the "nude hose = Satan" thing that was going on for a while. This all reminds me of my dad. He HATED seeing women wearing the cream colored hose and one day when I decided to sport them (with my navy suit and matching pumps, yeeesh) I got an earful.
Old 08-06-2010, 02:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
barbino, was it a pappagallo belt? i had a ton of those with the most exotic "frogs" seahorses, scallop shells, conch shells, etc. all in gold. you could swap the belts and the "frogs" as you wished.gee, i wish i had those now-not that they would fit around my waist!
I don't remember-- but the more I thought about it, the buckle might not have been frogs but seashells or even something else- yes, you could switch the belt color and I had several. The wierd thing is the minute I thought of the gold lion's head buckle for this post I instantly thought of ADPi. Back then it never crossed my mind, although now I am amazed that it didn't.