GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,843
4 members and 1,839 guests
bbobbyusady4719, LaneSig, Sciencewoman

Old 07-09-2008, 06:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SthrnZeta
Did the VP say anything about recs? Try calling the Greek Life/Student Life office (whoever handles recruitment) and ask them what the norm is. I don't see why they wouldn't tell you if recs are necessary/recommended.
Old 07-09-2008, 08:22 PM
GreekChat Member

The best way to overcome shyness is to get out and meet people. I always suggest to people to go someplace where you would have something to talk about, like a volunteer project. There you can always talk about the volunteer project. It may sound stupid, but i volunteer at the library and we have teens come in all the time who seem shy (high schools require volunteer work to graduate). The library is nice cause there is always something going on and if you don't know what to talk about you can talk about all the projects that are comming up. Its a nice way to get some practice in and pad your resume.

good luck
Old 07-09-2008, 11:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Do it! Otherwise, I think you'll really regret it and wonder "what if?".

Also, I second the recommendations thing. Do whatever you can to get as many recs as possible.
Old 07-09-2008, 11:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Lawgal, I am glad you liked my advice. I hope it is helpful for your daughter and others who may read it.

I realize that my school is probably not typical when it comes to recs. In over 15 years as an adviser, I have probably seen 25 recs total. They have made ZERO difference in who got bids or not. But they can be helpful because when one is received, the actives get to find out a little bit about this particular young lady prior to day 1 of recruitment.

I guess I would re-state that part of my advice. I would probably first suggest that you contact the school's Panhellenic Adviser (a staff position of the University) and ask her. She can tell you if your school is going to be rec dependent or not. She should also be knowledgeable about local Alumni Panhellenic groups where you could get information for recs. Also, network like crazy. Ask ladies at church, school teachers, counselors, philanthropic organizations, friends of your parents, etc. Someone, somewhere is connected to a panhellenic alumni. You may just need to do a little detective work to find her!

I realize this is a stressful time for the potential new members, but believe me, it is stressful for the sorority women too. They want to meet as many new ladies as they can and are nervous about being liked and accepted! It really is a 2 way street!

I wish those of you going through recruitment for the first, or second, time to have fun and really enjoy the process! You will likely meet many outstanding young women during this time!
Old 07-10-2008, 09:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Regardless of whether or not recs are necessary for your particular school, I think you should get them.

You have (in some opinions) at least two strikes against you immediately:
Upperclassman
Shy

Having recs will only help you in this situation (as evidenced by Basket96's comments regarding the girls who did have them and it helped the chapter get to know the PNM better).

I do not know of a situation where having a rec (not 24, just one or two) will ever hurt you.

Best of luck this fall - we will be rooting for you!
Old 07-10-2008, 11:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SthrnZeta View Post
Did the VP say anything about recs? Try calling the Greek Life/Student Life office (whoever handles recruitment) and ask them what the norm is. I don't see why they wouldn't tell you if recs are necessary/recommended.
I emailed the VP and she said that the sororities at my school don't place much emphasis on recs. Which defenitely takes off a lot of pressure, but I'm still going to try to find some if I can.