GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 2,712
3 members and 2,709 guests
Mooch279, oncegreek, PGD-GRAD

Old 01-16-2015, 11:45 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1964Alum View Post
It is not clear to me what these two fraternities hope to accomplish. ALL GLOs are on campuses at the pleasure of the hosting college or university. So there is an obligation to accept and abide by the standards and policies of their host as well as their own standards. And the wider community consists of the laws of the land. Any thoughts about what they hope to accomplish?
No, not all GLOs are on campuses at the pleasure of the hosting institution. We belong to IFC at their pleasure, but enjoy our right of free association whether they choose to recognize us or not. ATO and KA Order are clearly sending a signal that they would rather not be subject to the whims of whatever overreaction the University has to the next incident.

While they are certainly depriving themselves of the benefits of participating in formal recruitment, they have clearly decided that they prefer that to having to the school's proposed status quo.

I agree in principle with what they've done here and wish more groups would go this route.

While we have to obey the law, it is our option to have a formal relationship with the university where are members are matriculates. Should the host institution treat us unfairly, it is our option to withdraw from that formal relationship and do whatever we want to do within the law. Universities do not write the law. We only formally associate because our organizations find it mutually beneficial. If they behave as UVA has here, perhaps the relationship is no longer working out.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma

Last edited by Kevin; 01-16-2015 at 11:53 AM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-16-2015, 04:35 PM
GreekChat Member

So you are saying that these two groups prefer to operate independently and "off campus" so to speak without the benefits or the responsibilities that come with being affiliated with UVA?

Chi Omega
Old 01-16-2015, 04:45 PM

Maybe the benefits aren't very beneficial.

I would also question where the $$$ is coming from for the improved camera systems etc on campus.
Old 01-16-2015, 07:26 PM
GreekChat Member

The Washington Post headline reads that 31 fraternities have signed agreements with the University "including two holdouts".

Last edited by pinksequins; 01-16-2015 at 07:33 PM.
Old 01-20-2015, 05:48 PM
GreekChat Member

All fraternities at UVA are now onboard with the new policies developed by the collaborative efforts of the many affected entities at UVA.

http://www.cavalierdaily.com/article...lpha-tau-omega

Chi Omega
Old 01-20-2015, 07:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Another positive step IMO:

http://www.cavalierdaily.com/article...ealth-attorney

Chi Omega
Old 01-28-2015, 03:09 PM

"Sorority sisters at the University of Virginia were ordered by their national chapters to avoid fraternity events this weekend — a mandate that many of the women said was irrational, sexist and contrary to the school’s culture."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/g...rothers-party/

This weekend is Bid Night for the fraternities.

From UVA's Daily Cavalier:

http://www.cavalierdaily.com/article...mens-bid-night

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)

Last edited by LaneSig; 01-28-2015 at 03:16 PM.
Old 01-28-2015, 03:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaneSig View Post
"Sorority sisters at the University of Virginia were ordered by their national chapters to avoid fraternity events this weekend — a mandate that many of the women said was irrational, sexist and contrary to the school’s culture."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/g...rothers-party/

This weekend is Bid Night for the fraternities.
I find this very disturbing on so many levels!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 01-28-2015, 04:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Being one of the -ahem- older alumna here I understand the position of the NPC. There are unhealthy behavior patterns on this campus among the young men AND the young women that need to be re-shaped. And that will not happen overnight.

Chi Omega
Old 01-28-2015, 05:08 PM

So acting like they can't take care of themselves is helpful how?

It's infantilizing women and not only that, making partying at a fraternity a bigger deal than it should be. The more you say "keep away from this" the more young women will think "this is EVERYTHING. "

Stupid.
Old 01-28-2015, 05:12 PM
GreekChat Member

You're making my point! There's a great deal of immaturity and lack of judgement on the part of these young people, many of whom are still minors.

Chi Omega
Old 01-28-2015, 05:39 PM

The problem is that the "adult" women making the decision for the collegians apparently feel the same way. OMG, if we keep them away from bid night everything will be fine!

What's the next excuse to infantilize women? Valentine's day?
Old 01-28-2015, 05:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Let's not frame this in all or nothing terms, please! No, these young women aren't infants. Nor are they mature adults. Or even mature young adults, many of them. Breaking up these destructive patterns is going to take a long time. And a great deal of education. But the long-term survival of the Greek system is going to depend on it.

Chi Omega
Old 01-28-2015, 07:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Correct me if I am misspeaking 1964, but I believe your point is that the break in social routine is in part to encourage thought and reflection. For my part, I find it telling that the leadership of 17+ organizations concur that a break is needed -- none of the HQs took a different or modifed position. The young women's justification that the directive is counter to the character of the school (high academics, achievers, et al) is not persuasive. One need only to look at another non-slouch of a university for recent enfant terrible behavior by ostensibly top students.
Old 01-28-2015, 07:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinksequins View Post
Correct me if I am misspeaking 1964, but I believe your point is that the break in social routine is in part to encourage thought and reflection. For my part, I find it telling that the leadership of 17+ organizations concur that a break is needed -- none of the HQs took a different or modifed position. The young women's justification that the directive is counter to the character of the school (high academics, achievers, et al) is not persuasive. One need only to look at another non-slouch of a university for recent enfant terrible behavior by ostensibly top students.
Perfectly said, Pinksequins.

Chi Omega