GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,185
0 members and 1,185 guests
No Members online

Old 05-28-2010, 02:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volleyball29 View Post
How am I ill informed? I think I know better than you if my mother has been to a semi-formal or formal. There are even dads there also. It isn't a drunk slutfest like you might be use to, these are classy.
I don't believe you on this one. I don't believe your mother was in a sorority or that you even attend events at the local college. You won't even say what school or sorority...so, I think you are talking out your ass.
Old 05-28-2010, 02:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
It isn't a drunk slutfest like you might be use to, these are classy.
I hate to admit it, but that made me LOL. I guess volleyball29 isn't from Ohio...
Old 05-28-2010, 02:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by als463 View Post
I do get it. Now, I'm getting annoyed.
Not any particular "it," ongoing "its"
Quote:
How am I ill informed? I think I know better than you if my mother has been to a semi-formal or formal. There are even dads there also. It isn't a drunk slutfest like you might be use to, these are classy.
So, I'm just going to outright guess it's the mustang_girl crazy. Anyone else?
Old 05-28-2010, 02:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by als463 View Post
Would you please stop with that. It was funny at first. Now it is getting annoying. I am allowed to make statements, regardless of whether or not ceratin people on here like them.
LOL

It still is.

You take this site too seriously.

Quote:
Oooooooh. She told y'all.

Old 05-28-2010, 02:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusteau View Post
I hate to admit it, but that made me LOL. I guess volleyball29 isn't from Ohio...
Hahahahaha...Too funny....She can't be from Michigan, either. She doesn't know the difference between Michigan and Michigan State.
Old 05-28-2010, 02:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post

Oooooooh. She told y'all.
Old 05-28-2010, 02:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Excuse you but it really doesn't matter if you are a legacy if you are going to some chapter far away. You are no different than the other girls there. It only matters if you are going through the chapter where your family went and people actually knew them. I know my chapter likes recs from local people not some Jane Doe in Walla Walla Washington. That is your opinion not mine. I have family in several states around me and I have already sent my letters off with my picture and transcripts. I didn't have Aunt Beth write a rec bc she didn't go to my chapter so I chose my neighbor.
If you don't know each NPC group's legacy policies by heart, do not make statements such as this. You have no idea what you're talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
Bless your ignorant, entitled, princess heart.
This is why you have a fan club on GC.

Quote:
Being a legacy is cool and all but I am pointing out it doesn't matter if you are the "new" person at a school nobody in your family went too. It matters at the chapter that you can point at the composite and say that is MY mom or you meet the girl thats mom and your mom were best part of the same family. She won't get in at Michigan for being a legacy of any kind, she has more of a chance at the chapter her family were part of because they are known.
And how do you know membership selection procedures for every NPC group? You don't.
Old 05-28-2010, 02:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusteau View Post
DAMNIT. that's what i was thinking.

Honeychild volleyball_girl... you are just the epitome of classy.
Old 05-28-2010, 02:55 PM
GreekChat Member

And lets just say you do go through recruitment, all the other chapters drop you because "you know" you are going to "your chapter" and you get a bid to "your chapter" but only because of your legacy status.

"Your chpater" itself could very well not want you, but feel pressured by alums (like your heli-mom) to take you. It is completely possible that the majority of the chapter dislikes/resents you that you end up have zero friends in it and you end up hating it. What then?

There is also a very good possibility that the girls in the chapter only pretend to like you now because your mom is a weirdo who comes to their events and brings her super special princess daughter who is already claiming to be part of their sorority.
Old 05-28-2010, 02:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishLake View Post
DAMNIT. that's what i was thinking.

Honeychild volleyball_girl... you are just the epitome of classy.
Classy is as classy does...

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 05-28-2010, 02:56 PM
GreekChat Member

I am 100% certain she's NOT a Theta... so I feel sorry for whatever sorority she thinks she'll be in.
Old 05-28-2010, 02:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieXi View Post
And lets just say you do go through recruitment, all the other chapters drop you because "you know" you are going to "your chapter" and you get a bid to "your chapter" but only because of your legacy status.

"Your chpater" itself could very well not want you, but feel pressured by alums (like your heli-mom) to take you. It is completely possible that the majority of the chapter dislikes/resents you that you end up have zero friends in it and you end up hating it. What then?

There is also a very good possibility that the girls in the chapter only pretend to like you now because your mom is a weirdo who comes to their events and brings her super special princess daughter who is already claiming to be part of their sorority.
Hahahaha...I think you took the words out of a few people's mouths. You sure took the thoughts out of my mind...lol
Old 05-28-2010, 03:03 PM
GreekChat Member

HOLY COW! I go to work for a few hours and come home to this hot mess. Great comic relief after a challenging morning, especially some of the side conversations.

Absolutely correct, IrishLake, that this one is not a Kappa Alpha Theta member's daughter, because Risk Management policies preclude alumna attendance at social events (other than situations such as Dad's/Mom's/Parents' Weekends, that sort of thing). Oh darn. Me so sad.

I suspect this one's a legacy to the tutor mansion so accurately described by Barbie's_Rush.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 05-28-2010, 03:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzTheta View Post
HOLY COW! I go to work for a few hours and come home to this hot mess. Great comic relief after a challenging morning, especially some of the side conversations.

Absolutely correct, IrishLake, that this one is not a Kappa Alpha Theta member's daughter, because Risk Management policies preclude alumna attendance at social events (other than situations such as Dad's/Mom's/Parents' Weekends, that sort of thing). Oh darn. Me so sad.

I suspect this one's a legacy to the tutor mansion so accurately described by Barbie's_Rush.
I have to admit, I always thought that Alumna (unless they served as chaperones) didn't really attend social events. Even if you had a chaperone there, I would think it would be a bit weird to have a random high school girl at your formal, that you probably paid for and she doesn't belong at.

I would not want to attend a formal with my sorority, even if it was specifically for my chapter, especially to bring along my daughter. How weird!
Old 05-28-2010, 03:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Normally I wait until I get home from school to sign-on, but being a MSU fan my whole life, my blood is boiling that someone got us confused with U of M.

And what is your mother doing at formal/semi-formal? Unless she's the advisor, I really don't see why the girls would be okay with a 40 something alum hanging around. I personally would never have wanted to see my own mother at formal (even though I didn't drink until I was 21).

Also, as for chapters saying that they will take you because you're a legacy...let's have a brief retro recruitment of my mother. She was a Delta Gamma legacy through her mother, grandmother, and two older sisters. However, she was cut from them before pref. She ended-up joining the best sorority for her, not the one that was best for her mother/grandmother/sisters. It was a great 4 years for her and she loves who she became because of it.

As for MSU recruitment...I write a rec or two for one of my dancers every year. They're not required, but since I personally know them, I feel it can't hurt them. Often these girls will get bids to sororities they didn't have recs for. It's a great school. I didn't go there, but I still breed green (hense I decided to post in green).

Sorry this was long and angry, but I hate it when people confuse MSU with U of M. Go Spartans!