GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,081
3 members and 1,078 guests
Cookiez17, John

Old 05-11-2008, 11:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Fraternity Reputations at UGA

I've hung around a bunch of these guys, and like them all, but it wouldn't hurt to get some opinions from an outsider.

The Fraternities I'm talking about specifically are KA, SAE, Sigma Chi, Fiji, and Chi Phi.

If you walked into a bar and saw one a guy wearing a t-shirt with that fraternity's insignia on it, what would you think?

I know I shouldn't let outsider opinions influence me, and believe me when I say I take this with a grain of salt, but it doesn't hurt to know what reputation you'd be associating yourself with theoretically, does it?

Thank y'all for the responses in advance and for indulging me.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-11-2008, 12:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Now now, Young Buck.

If you absolutely have to have opinions from outsiders, why don't you ask your friends who are women at UGA?

I don't think our opinions will be very helpful for you. Even if we know those fraternities well, we don't know YOU well enough to be able to tell you where YOU fit in the best.

If they are all equal in your eyes when it comes to friendship and camaraderie, then maybe you want to look at more tangible things:

Leadership opportunities
Scholarship opportunities
Potential professional mentoring
Philanthropy that lines up with your personal values and ideals

Etc.... good luck!
Old 05-11-2008, 12:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Tiers according to an outside source:

1st: KA, SAE, ChiPhi, Fiji, LXA, SX
2nd: Beta, PhiDelt, PiKapp, KS, AGR
3rd: SigEp, DTD, Pike
Hard to say: ATO(got kicked off, back now), SN(similar to ATO), AEPi(By far superior to TEP)
Bottom: TEP, ChiPsi, SigmaPi, PhiTau, PhiPsi, AKL, PhiKappaTheta, DeltaSig
Old 05-11-2008, 12:18 PM
GreekChat Member

PhiGam: The concept of tiers is foreign to me, and frankly I don't pay much attention to it when it's mentioned on GC.

I noticed that the OP's favorites, which he says he has hung out with, all match the top tier.

Do you believe that the natural ability to hang out with other people and make friends is what makes a top tier fraternity? Not solely, but you know, just being nice people?

Also, is AEPi "hard to say" because it fills a niche rather than being an all-encompassing type of org?
Old 05-11-2008, 12:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
why don't you ask your friends who are women at UGA?
I agree. Ladies in sororities who know you are your best guide.

All the houses you indicated Youngbuck01 are very solid at Georgia. Any one of them would be a great place to go. From that standpoint, you have a good array of options. Just make sure you are making inroads now. SAE is particularly selective at Georgia.

But they are also different from each other- some substantially so, and that is where people who know Greeks at UGA and also know you can make some good suggestions.

Last edited by EE-BO; 05-11-2008 at 12:58 PM.
Old 05-11-2008, 01:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Okay, I'll keep that advice in mind. Again, it's not that I'm desperate for outsider opinion, or that it will make much difference in where I try for, it's just not a horrible piece of information to have.

Thanks
Old 05-11-2008, 02:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungBuck01 View Post
If you walked into a bar and saw one a guy wearing a t-shirt with that fraternity's insignia on it, what would you think?
Would never happen. Wearing letters is not done by most big fraternities at SEC schools. Especially at a bar.

Last edited by OleMissRebel; 05-11-2008 at 02:38 PM. Reason: Forgot to say something
Old 05-11-2008, 02:55 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm pretty sure he's being hypothetical.

To answer your question, you'd be associating yourself, most likely, with good guys from good houses with good reputations. All of those houses are good at UGA. One of my great friends is an SAE there....like all of those guys a lot.
Old 05-11-2008, 03:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to nate2512
Quote:
PhiGam: The concept of tiers is foreign to me,
Not surprising.

Old 05-11-2008, 03:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Right, because my campus did not have NIC fraternities.
Old 05-11-2008, 03:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Is the concept of ranking fraternities and sororities on college campuses foreign to you? Just asking, seems pretty standard to be honest.

I guess I just always find it odd, on here mostly, that people seem to be so astonished at the idea that some houses can indeed be better than others (not saying this is you, just in general). My family has been involved with fraternities and sororities for a long, long time all over the place and even all of them can easily tell you about who was strong and not so strong when they were in school.
Old 05-11-2008, 04:11 PM
Super Moderator

I don't think everyone here has a problem with ranking.

Just a few people, and most of them aren't in NIC type fraternities.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 05-11-2008, 04:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
PhiGam: The concept of tiers is foreign to me, and frankly I don't pay much attention to it when it's mentioned on GC.

I noticed that the OP's favorites, which he says he has hung out with, all match the top tier.

Do you believe that the natural ability to hang out with other people and make friends is what makes a top tier fraternity? Not solely, but you know, just being nice people?

Also, is AEPi "hard to say" because it fills a niche rather than being an all-encompassing type of org?
Yes, I absolutely think that is what makes a fraternity top tier. The ability to socially interact with everybody is what is looked for when handing out a bid.
I'm not sure about the AEPi thing, I didn't write it. I think that if they were still a great fraternity then they would be regarded as such, regardless of the ethnic makeup of it.
Old 05-11-2008, 05:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks, PhiGam.
Old 05-11-2008, 05:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernFratter View Post
Honestly, if you want a better opinion than here, read the thread about UGA in the schools section of the OldRow forum. As far as top-tier IFC houses in the south you generally can't go wrong with KA, SAE, EX, but OldRow has way better advice than here for the southern houses.
I copy and pasted the tiers from oldrow slick.